Sign in to follow this  
Jesse James

Onan 16hp problems

Jesse James

I picked up a 416-H with an Onan in it. Does not run but has spark. I sprayed flammable brake cleaner down the carb to see if it would try to start but it did not. I got a few pops through the carb. Also got some smoke out the muffler, so I felt each of the muffler pipes and one was hot and the other was cold. I switched the spark plug wires on the coil and the same pipe was cold. I'm also getting some pressure on the PCV valve. I took the head off the one that was cold and didn't see anything wrong. looked as though there was a little water in the motor probably from sitting for 3 years! If any one could please steer me into the right direction to fix this thing! B)

markslawnmowerworld

sounds like you have moisture and or bad gas in the carburetor.....

remove the carburetor and clean it out and start with fresh gas....

make sure you have gas coming in after the fuel pump.

I belive you will find better results this way. B)

Jesse James

I spoke with the dealer and he said to check the valve seats. They were in tight. I put it back together and its a little worse. A local guy told me that sometimes the flywheel key will shear, which would cause the timing to be off and popping through the carb. I tried to take off the fly wheel and I can not get it off! I pulled one of the puller bolds apart! I think he may be right with the sheared key cause it is probably jammed up.

04fxdwgi

I spoke with the dealer and he said to check the valve seats. They were in tight. I put it back together and its a little worse. A local guy told me that sometimes the flywheel key will shear, which would cause the timing to be off and popping through the carb. I tried to take off the fly wheel and I can not get it off! I pulled one of the puller bolds apart! I think he may be right with the sheared key cause it is probably jammed up.

Jesse,

Sounds like you may be on right track. That engine will easily run on 1 cylinder if it was rings / valves / plug / wire on one slug. Since both are weak or non existant, then I would surely lean towards engine timing and one may be cooler than the other only because that slug is just worse shape. Also, check for Vacuum leaks. A bad one may do what you are seeing.

Jesse James

The key was to blame!!! <_< Finally go the flywheel off and the key was in both the flywheel and the shaft. Looks as though the the flywheel has spun around a few time in there! Thanks everyone but now ya know! B)

Attached Image

post-61-1267474845.jpg