Sign in to follow this  
TT

A busy day in the shop

TT

I won't write a book here, but probably could. :P

The recoil on the 704 got fixed today. It will now "catch" every time. :thumbs:

Once I got it back together, then it wouldn't start, so I had to do some fuel pump work. The throttle cable was hooked directly to the governor arm, so I fixed that too. Now it starts on one or two pulls every time.

I finished up the reconnection of the HY-2 on the 702 (still no belt guard yet! :D) and took it for a romp in the snow. I thought that would be a great time to test out the video mode on the camera, but when I went for the second ride, she swallowed some dirt and I had to "limp" it back to the shop.

I did manage to get about 43 seconds of "test footage" before I tried the driving movie. You can see it HERE.

The 210-5 also (finally) got to come in the shop. I pulled the transaxle and plated the frame where it was cracked and bent. (at the transaxle mounts) I re-tapped the bolt holes in the transaxle for the braces and got all of that back together again. :thumbs: If everything goes as planned, I'll try to get it running tomorrow, but I still need to get a drive belt and a battery.

kj4kicks

A good day indeed !!

Very productive.

T-Mo

The video was a success, nice job on it. I also like it when you "panned" around to show some of your other stuff. It sounds like a very good productive day.

nylyon

Great day, and even better that you got the Video :thumbs: going!

Greg B.

Sounds like a good day to me. That video is the cherry on top, though.

Greg B.

TT

It's too bad I couldn't have gotten the footage of the 702 "digging and boring" through the snow. Those 6.00 - 12's with chains are like having four wheel drive! It was actually carrying the front wheels a little off the ground and both rear wheels were biting their way right down to the dirt! :thumbs:

It got some dirt under the float needle and started to flood out, so I closed the petcock and managed to get it back in the shop. I could see quite a bit of "floaters" in the sediment bowl, so I'll clean everything out (and install a new gas line too) when I get time.

It also has some major governor issues, so I'll fix that while I'm doing the rest of the stuff.

My "list" sure is getting long ! :thumbs:

perry

about time you got out there and got sumthin done :thumbs::thumbs: .

video was great. how about a better pic of that farmall ?.

TT

:lol:
That Cub belongs to my neighbor. It was supposed to come up in August so I could get it running for him. He ended up towing it up the road in December, and it's been too cold to mess with it. (I think the starter is bad, and he didn't have a hand crank :dunno: )
I'll get a few pics of it next time I take the camera for a walk. :thumbs:

Sparky

Sounds like a great day Terry. I love it when I can actually spend a whole day without interuptions on tractor tinkerin.

Mike.........

TT

Today's events were mild in comparison to yesterday.......

The governor on the 704 is "dialed in" perfectly now and the carburetor finally decided to give in to my adjustment techniques. :thumbs:

I spent 20 minutes trying to get the 210 to turn over fast enough to start. All of a sudden it made a clunking noise and I couldn't turn the engine over anymore! :P

It ended up being the starter (the end cap blew apart on the drive and the nylon gear jammed the flywheel) It took three starters to make one good one, but now I think there's some water in the gas. :thumbs:

I'll just have to drain the tank and try again. :D

Rollerman

Sounds like you made some good progress on the 704....I really need to tune mine & find some new parts for the recoil.

Also sounds like that 210 is fighting you all the way.... :thumbs:

TT

Sounds like you made some good progress on the 704....I really need to tune mine & find some new parts for the recoil.

Also sounds like that 210 is fighting you all the way.... :thumbs:

Parts Tree has everything listed for your recoil, Stephen. Recoil parts!

I bought parts C, D, E, G1, H & J for mine. You can also buy the new pawls, (K) but they seldom wear because they are steel and the starter cup is aluminum. (You could dress the ends up lightly with a file if you want to though.)

The Kohler manual calls for light lubrication UNDER the 1 1/8" washer (J), but my 704 no longer has that washer.

You're also supposed to "sparingly" grease the INSIDE of the brake "fingers" where it pushes on to the pawl retainer (F), and the 1/2" and 3/4" washers. (E & D) I didn't lubricate anything on mine and it works great!

The 210 is due for a severe attitude adjustment -- as soon as I get the urge to deal with it again. It might just end up getting a "heart transplant" before it's all over. (the little CC RER has a very nice 10.5 HP I.C. Briggs and is even two years newer. :thumbs: )