Sign in to follow this  
kpinnc

Help ID this anyone?

kpinnc

Maybe someone here can help me, or at least point me to someone who can. I found this one row, horse drawn planter last week:

muledrive074.jpg

The handles are dry rotted off, and the seed bucket is missing, but the mechanism works unbelievably smooth. The rust appears bad, but there is almost no pitting at all. Appears to be made of some good stuff!

muledrive079.jpg

muledrive075.jpg

muledrive076.jpg

muledrive077.jpg

The closest thing I can find IDs this as a John Deere planter, last produced in 1935, but as far back as 1904. There is a tiny amount of paint that makes me lean that way on the brand as well:

muledrive078.jpg

Here's the JD I was talking about, but there were so many that I can't be sure:

13-0421.jpg

Anyway, Nick got me thinking about different implements for my three point. If this is worth something, I'll probably sell it. If it's not, it would look cool modified for a 3 point hitch painted red and white.... :thumbs:

If anyone can help me here, please let me know.

thanks!

Kevin

CasualObserver

Kevin, looks like you found your own answer. I'd say that's a dead on match to that drawing. If you look at the details... such as the swooped spokes of the wheel... the bolt locations....the number of holes in the hitch... etc... looks correct to me. I think it would be pretty neat modified though. Depending on how heavy it is, I think I'd even go for a slot hitch lift rather than a three point... but I suppose you've got that nice lift you just made for your Bronco and all..... :thumbs:

kpinnc

In all honesty Jason, it is light enough, and would be MUCH easier to mate it to a clevis hitch than the three point.

I hadn't even thought of that!

Thanks!

I'll probably wait to see if it is a collectable or not first though. I hate seeing a piece of history get blundered. :thumbs: I don't want any JD stuff, but someone may be able to use it. Ya never know, may be something to barter on a WH with!

If no one can tell me if it's something sought after, it's gonna turn red!

Kevin

Greg B.

Kevin,

Just to save yourself some possible future anguish, think about making your adapter a bolt on item. That way, if future discoveries prove that it has value, it can be undone. Just my $0.02...

Greg B.

kpinnc

My thoughts exactly Greg, for now anyway. As Jason said, a slot or clevis hitch setup would be easy. The "tongue" just bolts on. It would be easy to stick a slot/clevis adapter in there, and remove the hardware for the handles on the back.

kevin