Sign in to follow this  
Copperswilly

How old is my Wheel Horse...195?

VinsRJ

I can see this thread getting locked real soon B)

Do ya think? :party:

CasualObserver

Could be, but I doubt it. '59's weren't produced until well into 1959 (some believe May-June or beyond) and the transmission indicates January. That would lead me to believe this machine was assembled January or more likely February of 1959, making it an RJ-58.

Mike, going to disagree with you. Per the production ledgers (which Toro owns and will not copy or distribute) RJ-59 production began in 8/58. The serial number break itself is not notated. I think it's a common misconception that there were more RJ-58s produced than RJ-59s... but there's no way to know for sure without a long database list of RJ serial numbers from actual tags. Of course, that's nearly impossible, since most don't have serial tags attached anymore to begin with!

I would say, don't be so definitive. Be open to the possibility that you don't know the answer. I think that's all TT is trying to say.

MikesRJ

Like I said before: You have your opinion and I have mine. The lack of physical proof leads me to believe otherwise.

HorseFixer

:hbd: Oh by the way I was havin so much fun readin I almost forgot! :party:

:clap: Copperswilly B)

wheel horse 1045

:party: and good luck B)

Rollerman

CoppersWilly :clap: nice little tractor you have there & regardless of what year it is....more importantly it was your fathers & you still have it. :party:

By the way stick around Red Square & you'll find we have some really good knowledgeable people.....and a lot of experts. B)

Really like the old 3B too.....I had a couple 3A's years ago & would just about give up all my Horses for another.

Rod(NASNUT)

:clap: Oh by the way I was havin so much fun readin I almost forgot! :party:

Not that is what I call adding fuel to the fire B)

formariz

CoppersWilly nice little tractor you have there & regardless of what year it is....more importantly it was your fathers & you still have it.

By the way stick around Red Square & you'll find we have some really good knowledgeable people.....and a lot of experts. :party:

So far the most sensible post in this thread.

B)

stevasaurus

:party: I think that is the first horse I have seen that has been through a hurricane. Looks to be in good shape for that. B)

wheel horse 1045
CoppersWilly

T-Mo

I don't have a horse in this race, but I do have some observations and some insight on the manufacturing process.

First off, if you read each post, you can derive little tidbits of information - there's a wealth of information in this thread alone (all chest thumping aside). Information that's been derive from years of research, experience, been there done that sort of thing, etc. I'm no expert and even though I have knowledge of some things here, I read each post to learn more.

Second, I worked as a mechanical design engineer for a major company for 25 years - I've seen things that the novice wouldn't dream of. My company tries to keep track of each little change of each one of it's products. But, even with the history documented, there's always something that you can not track down why this was done or when. I've seen outside suppliers parts not in agreement with their own documents. Why, running changes, parts supply running short, pulling parts off of the line for another project to use on a particular project. Just because you think you know something doesn't necessary mean it's fact. I been in the manufacturing business from a design standpoint too long to think I know everything.

Read, listen and learn. And don't pass up an opportunity to keep your mouth shut - you might learn something along the way.

I hope this thread isn't closed because of the info contain therein and I hope others who have some knowledge share it (but don't horde it down other's throats). B)

TT

You have the "book" ("Straight from the horses mouth") in your possession. There's a half chapter dedicated to exactly this topic with an explanation of the circumstances.

Thanks for adding that to your post.

I had a funny feeling that was the "book" you were referring to. B)

bitten

Hello and B)

I am glad you saved the old horse after the hurricane. It looks like a nice one. I like the old Willys.

Raider12

First of all...... B):party: ......... I think it is soooo cool that your Dad bought this new and now you have had it through all these years. My daughter (now 12) thinks Im nuts with my Wheel Horse tractors, and I explained to her one day when she has son he may get to have his grandfathers old tractor and she have the stories to share with it too....... Pay no attention to grumpy guys. They are good at heart and their knowledge is priceless.

IMG_1095.jpg

Copperswilly

Wow guys I think I stirred up a bees nest asking what year my tractor was.

I'll never get rid of it theres a ton of memories I have with it. One I would like to share with all you guys is from back when we were kids. It was after my Dad brought them home. It was my older sister and brother riding them (we had two at this time) My brothers tractor quit running and my sister lost control of her tractor (panicked really) Her tractor road up and onto the back of my brothers stopped tractor. Dad stepped in after that...ha ha. Nobody got hurt but the fenders on my brothers tractor were damaged.

We've done everything over the years with them from cutting grass, plowing a garden to moving boats and taking the kids on wagon rides. I broke my leg in three places while fishing and while I was laid up I did a full frame off resto on the old tractor.

In 2003 Huricane Isabel came through and flooded my neighborhood (we live on the water here). Like I said the tractor was under six feet of water for about 24+ hrs. Forgotten about for about three weeks because of all the hurricane damage I tried to break the engine down but the piston was seized the carb was seized and alot of the bolts were snapping off...pretty sad. I was pretty upset with how damaged the tractor was because it was painted red the wheels were white the tires were blacked and clean. I wasn't as pretty as the one in this post but it was nice. It was cleaned up put in a shed and left until about two years ago when I decided to get it out of mothballs.

Brrly1

What the heck, Welcome to the Square, We have many opinions around here. Some believe they are right and others have a different opinion. I believe there is more knowledge here than anywhere else on the internet. Looks like a nice

58'-59' rj. If you need any help this is the place to ask. B)

See Ya, Bye Burly

:party:

MikesRJ

Glad to see your thinking of pulling it apart and restoring it. The memories are only icing on the cake.

HorseFixer
B) Oh by the way I was havin so much fun readin I almost forgot!

fabricator2009

B)

Rideawaysenior

If you can, post pics of your restoration. Also, the OEM engines do pop up now and again so if you wanted to get it as original as possible, just keep your eyes open and you might find one. Also, you can find a lot of parts at the Wheel Horse Show in PA at some real reasonable prices. People there in most cases are like people here. It's a hobby and they have the outward appearance of wanteing to keep the hobby going more then making a profit.

Jack

rickv1957

Good luck with your tractor,looks like a great project!,Rick

DMK855

Nice solid RJ!! About the only thing I will add to this thread is........ You might want to get a shift boot for that tranny to keep the water out!! I have pics of what water can do to the inside of a trans!!!

Lane Ranger

Yes that rubber boot for the transmission is a big deal for keeping that transmission running smoothly without the problem of water. Even if that tractor does not sit outside very long.

Your toro dealer can get you one for under $6.00 in most cases.

Buzz

First of all...... B):party: ......... I think it is soooo cool that your Dad bought this new and now you have had it through all these years. My daughter (now 12) thinks Im nuts with my Wheel Horse tractors, and I explained to her one day when she has son he may get to have his grandfathers old tractor and she have the stories to share with it too....... Pay no attention to grumpy guys. They are good at heart and their knowledge is priceless.

IMG_1095.jpg

Now this is an intriguing picture. In a New Topic you have to tell us why you are making your poor daughter mow the edge of the marshy area with nothing but a safety rope to pull her out if necessary.......... :clap:

Rod(NASNUT)
B) Oh by the way I was havin so much fun readin I almost forgot!