Sign in to follow this  
T-Mo

False Advertising or just plain stupid

T-Mo

I saw this ad today: John Deere LT133

I'm posting this, not because it's a good deal (it's not), but because it's false advertising and the fact I just sold my LT133 for less. But, gist of this post is, the guy states "shaft driven". Hmm, since when. Must be the only shaft driven LT133 made, and in fact the only shaft driven lawn tractor JD ever made. Either this guy is blatantly false advertising or he's just plain :imstupid: enough not to know that it's belt driven, and in fact, it has a vertical shaft engine on it. And I doubt the lawn sweeper is 52 inch either, but I'll let that pass. Hmm, wonder where that new belt goes to - the deck since the mower is "shaft driven"? :thumbs:

CasualObserver

Could be crank"shaft" driven I suppose... but I doubt that's the pun he's going for.

wh500special

Terry,

I'd bet on the "uneducated" possibility. Or, it is a super rare of which they made between 0 and 20...0 is REALLY rare you know.

I had a LT-133 for a while but sold it last spring on Ebay to a guy in IL. Who knows, i could be my old tractor (and it was belt driven).

The tractor came with my house in one of those last minute bartering gestures to get us to sign the dotted line. I used it a little but didn't need it and it didn't fit into the red color theme around here. Nice little riding mower though...quiet, a good cutter, and was probably my most reliable tractor when it came time to fire it up.

believe it or not, I actually used that thing to haul 1 load of gravel in a full JD #18 (18-cubic foot) cart! It did the job (barely) after my C-160 blew out the spark plug right before I was ready to quit for the day. A new head fixed that problem. I worried about blowing the transaxle on the LT during the whole haul!

btw - I saw you were looking at the 854 (I think) that was in Brighton....I drive thru BRighton (and Gillespie) whenever I return home to Alton to visit mom, dad, and some of my tractors. if you head that way to buy that machine (price needs to drop quite a bit first I'd think) be sure to let me know if you're after anything else since you'd be in the area. I am hoping to take inventory and decide what -if anything - I want to get rid of. Too much stuff spread out between two states!

Steve

T-Mo

Steve,

Those little Dana 5 speeds in those LTs aren't very sturdy, so it was a viable concern on your part. My little LT133 was a good mower, but that was the extent of what it was designed to do. I also feel the price is too high for that mower, but that's my opinion.

I think you're probably talking about that little 753 in Brighton. I think I'll pass on that. BTW, what do you have in Alton? I'm still about 120 miles away, but that's not too bad.

wh500special

That's right, I forgot it was a 753. I recall it looked pretty beat and had custom sheet metal too. I'd have been interested as a parts machine but the price was about triple what I'd be willing to go despite it being just down the road from dad (who has become very proficient at picking stuff up for me).

I know this is going to sound dumb, but I really don't remember all of what I have in dad's barn :imstupid: . I know generally what is there, but don't want to list all of it because much of them are "keepers" and I don't want excite anybody with stuff I don't plan to sell. I used to keep a "master list" of everything I owned with serial numbers and such but that was lost when the old computer went south. I really need to recompile sometime and try to put a value on this stuff in case the barn ever burns down or something.

I DO know I have a spare 854, a 606, a 211-4, a 212-5, a D-160-Onan w/o motor, and a rough 550 or 551. Might be something else too, but I will have to check when we visit at easter and I'll let you know. No pix of anything though. Also have a few snowblades and some other junk that I might want to get rid of. Honestly, the only reason I brought it up at this point was I thought you might be headed that way and if you had something specific in mind perhaps I could help. Combining trips and heading home with a full truck bed is always more exciting than making a single score!

I also have some stuff here in the Hoosier state that I will be getting rid of soon, but I am stuck right now with needing to give everything a tuneup and a battery first and a general once-over before they go up for sale. I hate selling tractors since I always worry the buyer will get it home and find something wrong...I sold a Deere B to a guy and he later found transmission problems (which I didn't know about beforehand)...I ended up buying him replacement parts and shipping them to him so I could again sleep at night. I think we both lost money on the deal...I know I did at least. I could never be a used car salesman!

I have been slowly thinning the herd over the last few years. last fall I got rid of all my D-stuff except for the parts machine and an 18-Automatic. Most of it actually went to Jim M :thumbs: and I hope he is satisfied with what he hauled home. I decided I want my collection to go in the direction of what was "significant" to WH's evolution (i.e. walk away, lever, Senior, Junior, RJ, etc...); "milestone" tractors if you will. Culling out the duplicates and excess inventory has allowed me to work toward that goal. The last tough ones for me to find (at a reasonable price) are going to be the RS-83 "senior" and a C-195.

I am also trying to amass a comprehensive literature/memorabilia/paper collection. that was going well - and economically - until recently when it seemed everybody else started buying manuals and literature off Ebay :thumbs: . Prices have gone way, way up :D . I have most manuals though but still need to fill in the blanks on promo stuff.

Geez, looking back at this message I see it is no help to you whatsoever....so let's resummarize:

1. After Easter I'll get you a list of what I have.

2. Let me know (whenever) if you are looking for something specific, I just might have it.

Steve

T-Mo

Well, I wouldn't mind having a rear discharge deck, say for my 314.

Or maybe that 854 or 606? :thumbs: How do the little 200 series look also (if you remember that is)?

Rollerman

Hmm I think Terry is going to need a bigger garage......soon! :thumbs:

nylyon

Well, I wouldn't mind having a rear discharge deck, say for my 314.

Or maybe that 854 or 606? :thumbs: How do the little 200 series look also (if you remember that is)?

I'm still itching for you to get that tiller for the $140 or something? My wife informed me the other day that our garder, currently tiny, will be growing this year. In the back of my head is, "wish I could find a tiller deal like Terry did!".

T-Mo

Karl,

I think it was $100 and thanks for reminding me. If shipping costs wasn't so high, I would just let you or Stephen or someone else here have it. Maybe Frank, who's going to the show, could deliver it for someone. I should buy it, and might, but if someone else here wants it... :thumbs:

nylyon

You should buy it, you have better Wheel Horse connections and could easily sell it for the price or better!

TT

Anytime you need a tiller, just come down and get mine. I have the one that came with the '69 C12 that would work great on your Electro. (once you get it up & running, of course. :thumbs: ) I do need to fab up the idler pulley assembly for the mid-hitch, but that's on my list too. :thumbs: