Sign in to follow this  
hoosier

Trans help needed

hoosier

After a couple of years of hoping something will fall into my lap or be found on Ebay, here is my problem. I need a transaxle for a 953. The one on my tractor when I got it rained broken gears when I pulled the case apart. I'm not smart enough to rebuild it even if I could find the parts. :thumbs: Can any other unit with the inch an an eighth axles be used? I realize the gearing might not be right for the size of the wheels, but if a high low tranny out of a more easily found unit would work I could live with it. I can probably deal with shifter location issues. Thanks

Rollerman

I am going to go on a limb here...I think the gearing is all in the size of pulley that Wheel Horse used for a paticular model.

The other thing about the 953/1054 they have a differant mounting patter cast into the trans case.

I have seen an 8speed conversion done so I would say it could be done but you'd have to drill your frame.

One thing you need to watch is the length of the axles..the 953/1054 set out there aways.

hoosier

Thanks, Stephen, I'm sure you are right. I never thought about it that way. Why swap internals when you can change pulleys? Picture me :imstupid: . :imstupid: Sorry

Kelly

I talked to a guy this winter that put a 8 speed in a 953, He pulled both trans apart, and swaped the longer axles into the 8 speed, drilled the frame to fit and changed pulleys, other than that it fit right in :thumbs: , oh ya he still had to figure out a new shifter for high low, no room to shift it. I learned this fall about the bolt patterens being diff. when I tried to put a 656 trans under my 953(didn't come with a trans) so I could move it easier, needless to say it didn't fit :thumbs: so the 953 still has a push mower under it to move it.

Rollerman

The one I had seen with the 8 speed ...the owner fabed up a lever with a push/pull type cable so he did not need to add more holes.

Again I'm not positive on the axle lenght...seems some of the C series would have long enough axles to make the swap feaseable.

TT

The other transaxle to find would be the three speed from the Commando 800's and or the "8 4 speed" tractors. (I think) They're the ones with the little rear tires with the different offset. They do have the 1 inch axles, but they're longer than the garden tractor axles. If you're not going to work the 953 too hard, they would hold up.

If you don't have the long axles, you'd have to use a different rear wheel or a special long hub.

hoosier

Wow, I guess this is way over my head 'again'. :thumbs: