Sign in to follow this  
Shuboxlover

Hydro trans. very hard to push

Shuboxlover

My C-160 Auto is very hard to push if it dies (like it did the other night) I turned the "tow valve" By-the-way, how many turns do you need to turn it? It is still VERY hard to push, sometimes I'm pushing it and the tires aren't turning. Should it be like my 8 speed in neutral? or is this just the nature of the beast?

landsurveyor

Hi,

I turned the valve on my Charger 12 1/2 a turn (not sure if that is right!), it is still very hard to push it with the valve in any position, so i am thinking yours is probably right.

Sorry cant be of more help.

Docwheelhorse

I believe the tow valve only turns 1/2 a turn just to allow the oil to bypass... But seeing as it is at or below freezing most everywhere the oil is way thick and that is why its like dragging a dead elephant. B) Maybe thats what I'm gonna call a dead hydro from now on!!! A DEAD ELEPHANT!! LOL Anyways... its almost always easier to try and get the thing to run in any way possible in order to get it to the garage/shed for a repair job. Don't quote me... but I believe that when you drag your style of hydro it tries to start pumping the oil.... so the faster you drag it the worst the problem will get. If you try and very slowly move it you will be better off.

Tony

rickv1957

Open valve 1 full turn on C160,Rick

jimbotelho

My C-160 Auto is very hard to push if it dies (like it did the other night) I turned the "tow valve" By-the-way, how many turns do you need to turn it? It is still VERY hard to push, sometimes I'm pushing it and the tires aren't turning. Should it be like my 8 speed in neutral? or is this just the nature of the beast?

seeing I have 2 hydros it would be nice to know where the valve is located anybody??thanks (just in case)

stevebo

I can show you next time I come over.

jimbotelho

seeing I have 2 hydros it would be nice to know where the valve is located anybody??thanks (just in case)

thanks steve

Coadster32

My Charger12 is a 1/2 turn valve. You could turn it 100 times if you please, but only the 1/2 turn will open/close the vavle. Don't forget the belt engage/disengage lever also. (this may be the drag you are speaking of). Good Luck. B)

Rideawaysenior

Jim,

Chances are that your releif valve is between the tool box and pump on the left side of the tractor (as you were sitting on it). You will need a wrench to turn it. There may be a decal or remnants of right near by too. I'll take a pic of mine tomorrow and post it for you. Some of the earlier Sundstrands had the PRV screw right on the top of the tranny too. It had a post with a pin through it so you wouldn't need any tools to spin it.

Shuboxlover

I can't say for sure if I had the belt disengaged or not. I'll have to go out this weekend and play with it to see if that makes a difference. I'm new to this hydro thing, so I guess I should pay more attention.