Sign in to follow this  
fritz

When do you need to restore a Wheel Horse

fritz

I been collecting Wheel Horses and garden tractors for almost 2 years. I have seen them in all kinds of shape. What I was wondering was when do you know a tractor needs restored? I tried searching for it in other posts and topics but I couldnt find it. What I am saying is I have 4 all original tractors that I think are in farely decent condition. I got a john deere 60, a C 160, 606, and 10 automatic. I was wondering what condition the tractor needs to be in that it should be restored. I hope that is a understandable qustion.

Thank you

Devin

rickv1957

A tractor need restored only when you want to do it,just cause the paint is not pretty means nothing,a tractor is only original once,Rick

Ken B

I think it all boils down to personal preference. If I come across an original tractor that still looks nice for its age I will leave it. Certain Wheel Horses look way cool when they are very well worn, others, not so much. B)

Of course there is the mechanical side to a restoration. If she's huffin and puffin smoke and leaking oil everywhere then its time.

Rick is 100% correct, its only original once. Sometimes preservation over restoration makes alot of sense.

WheelHorse_of_course

I work them, and try to preserve them, but I don't restore them.

Which is not so say that my mouth doesn't drop in admiration of those that have been restored! B)

Duff

I don't have the skills to do a proper restoration but seem to be able to muddle through a fairly competent rebuild. My aim is to keep mine mechanically sound and decent looking. Maybe some day with more time and experience I'll develop the skills to do a full resoration. but for now I'm happy just to bring one back from the graveyard and make it a decent runner!

Duff B)

Dresden Guy

Preservation vs. Restoration - as for me, it seems to come down on the side of PRESERVATION, but as I see rust spots that occur in the obvious places, how do you "spot preserve" without a lousy looking result. It's reminds me of home projects that looks so innocent at first and turn into a $5,000 remodels - or as an old saying goes, "It's like buffalo meat, the more you chew it, the bigger it gets".

Then there's a side of me that appreciates the nostalgia of the showroom look of a great restoration (kinda' like Rick's NOS 420LSE!!!).

I think it comes down to "Why do you/I own 1, 5 , 10 or even 50+ WHs.....is it the: 1) the "Man Cave" getaway time??....... 2) is it the commradery of sharing our mechanical prowess with our RS buddies?? 3) is it the memory of riding with or driving Dad's B-80 as a kid?? OR 4) is it just an expensive hobby to leave to our heirs to auction off???

Restoration vs. Preservation - it's a personal preference that is determined by the answer to: Honestly , why do I like Wheel Horses? Be honest!

refracman

I guess its what you consider restoration. A mechanicial or paint restoration.

When I get another tractor I remove all the tins clean it up and repair all thats worn, spot paint the really bad stuff and put it back together, wether its for my stable or for resale.

I have done a few total restors and after a little while sold them.

I personlly like more to work on them than look at them and my workers just are mechanically done.

So whether to just fix it up or do a total on it is up to you.

jusjeepn

Devin, I've seen (and used to own) the 606. That is a prime example of a very nice original tractor that would actually be worth more (not necessarily monetarily) to a collector in it's original state than if restored. That tractor, in simple terms, would sell a lot quicker to a collector just like it is. I really don't think if it was restored, refurbished, repainted or what ever you want to call it, that it would be worth any more money than the way it is now. I think you can use that as example on your other tractors. Now this is purely my opinion so make your own call! Good to see you posting again! B)

clintonnut

Most of it is personal preference.

I only restore tractors that have been repainted, hacked, or are rusty/badly faded.

Most tractors with original paint need just a good cleaning. Get a gallon of purple power, brillow pads, sponge, and some abrasive cloth and remove all grease and use the wet brillow pad to get some of the rust stains and surface rust off. I usually do that and they look great then I clear coat the places where they were rusty with semi gloss clear coat to blend in really nice and preserve it.

I wish I didn't restore my 652 because when I cleaned the grease off the paint was pristine underneath. Just the hood had surface rust but it looked cool like that. The wheels after the grime was cleaned off looked NOS! :party:B)

Charlie

Jim_M

Devin,

It needs restored if you just can't stand to look at it anymore. If you like the way it is then it doesn't need restored.

Jim

fritz

Thank you for the responmses. I think I will keep my all original tractors all original... xept maybe the john deere B) it will turn red. Naa not really. but I think that the two tractors the 606 and hte C 160 auto that all all original i am going to kleep. the 10 automatic i dont care for and need to make room for what I do like!! thank you for the advice and opinioons.

Devin

sorekiwi

Hi Devin, glad to see you back!

Sometimes you just don't have a choice:

IMG_1822-1.jpg

On the other hand, this one is fine the way it is:

PICT0018.jpg

(Well, OK the deck definitely needs some love...)

And then there are the ones in between. I actually hate shiny, newly painted tractors. After they get a few scratches and battle scars they just get so much more useful. And an original old tractor has so much more character than a shiny one.