Sign in to follow this  
CHARGER9AUTO

C-81 - C-85

CHARGER9AUTO

I have the '79 C-81 and '81 C-85 8-Speed tractors I'm :D what tractor to put the K-181S 8 HP engine into out of the C-85 that is painted black what I am trying to say is what tractor should I rebuild and stick with it instead of swaping engines back and fourth .

T-Mo

Since I'm new to WH's, I'm probably not a good candidate to answer this. But, I'm assuming the C-81 is similar to the C-141 with the metal fender pan. Is the C-85 similar to the C-125 with the plastic fender pan? Again, excuse me on my WH ignorance, but I'm just trying to familiarize myself on the differences between the C-81 and C-85.

CHARGER9AUTO

Since I'm new to WH's, I'm probably not a good candidate to answer this. But, I'm assuming the C-81 is similar to the C-141 with the metal fender pan. Is the C-85 similar to the C-125 with the plastic fender pan? Again, excuse me on my WH ignorance, but I'm just trying to familiarize myself on the differences between the C-81 and C-85.

I put the C-85's 8 HP K-181S engine on my C-81 because it's in better shape than the C-85 I'd should sell them both when their running at the Wheel Horse show next year . I have my 416-8 to use for yard work . Ben

Sparky

Well without pictures I cant tell ya what tractor to put your time/motor/ and money into but...I do like the black hood style better than the older "C" style.

Mike....with 3 black hoods

CHARGER9AUTO

Well without pictures I cant tell ya what tractor to put your time/motor/ and money into but...I do like the black hood style better than the older "C" style.

Mike....with 3 black hoods

Mike, I have no money into the C-81 or C-85 it gives something to do when I am bored sorry for the confusion . I'd still might swap the 8 HP K-181S motor back with the black inlay hood the older "C" style hoods are okay but it's nothing fancy .

Sparky

I love the look of the black hood. Heres a shot of what it looks like from the drivers seat.

Nelson461.jpg

Mike....

Sparky

That didnt go too well. Maybe this one will work.

Nelson461.jpg

Mike...still a rookie

nylyon

They look tougher from that angle.

CHARGER9AUTO

That didnt go too well. Maybe this one will work.

Nelson461.jpg

Mike...still a rookie

I like the new paint job on your C-125 AUTO I will put the black Kohler K-181S engine back into my C-85 8-Speed and repaint the tractors hood , console with Krylon Banner Red spray paint . Ben

CHARGER9AUTO

They look tougher from that angle.

Any old Wheel Horse is worth restoring or fixing it half way decent so it looks presentable as working tractor .

T-Mo

But, doesn't the black-hooded WH's have the plastic fender pan? I have a chance to buy a C-125, but it does have a crack in the plastic fender pan. So I'm assuming the C-85 has the plastic fender pan, maybe not.....I like the steel fender pans better.

CHARGER9AUTO

But, doesn't the black-hooded WH's have the plastic fender pan? I have a chance to buy a C-125, but it does have a crack in the plastic fender pan. So I'm assuming the C-85 has the plastic fender pan, maybe not.....I like the steel fender pans better.

I bought my '81 C-85 the guy said the plastic rear fenders were all cracked so he he put on the steel fender pan I already have the Kohler 8 HP engine in the C-81 it's an easy enough job just switch the parts over to the other machine.

T-Mo

I bought my '81 C-85 the guy said the plastic rear fenders were all cracked so he he put on the steel fender pan I already have the Kohler 8 HP engine in the C-81 it's an easy enough job just switch the parts over to the other machine.

That's what I was wondering if the fenders, as well as the hoods, would interchange.

CHARGER9AUTO

Sparky

I dont think the hoods will interchange as the latching is way different at the dash end. The plastic fenders however can be swapped with either the "C" series style or the 300-400-500 series tractors. I swapped all 3 or mine to the 300 series type and they look great and also like the factory bolted em on.

Mike.....

Curmudgeon

LOL, I call them the ugly tractors. Those dipped, square hoods are, uh, not my cup of tea. Much prefer the style of the C-**0's or before. Even the 300, 400, and 500 Series look better.

Just thought I'd offer a different viewpoint. Goes to show, everything will be liked by somebody, which is GOOD, if we all liked the same thing, there wouldn't be enough to go around!!!!!

Dale

CHARGER9AUTO

I dont think the hoods will interchange as the latching is way different at the dash end. The plastic fenders however can be swapped with either the "C" series style or the 300-400-500 series tractors. I swapped all 3 or mine to the 300 series type and they look great and also like the factory bolted em on.

Mike.....

I meant you could swap hood on the C-81 , C-85 but you need to use the correct hood latches to install them I put the K-301AS into my '81 C-85 for more horse power. Case Closed I am done talking about this subject

• Like 1

CHARGER9AUTO

LOL, I call them the ugly tractors. Those dipped, square hoods are, uh, not my cup of tea. Much prefer the style of the C-**0's or before. Even the 300, 400, and 500 Series look better.

Just thought I'd offer a different viewpoint. Goes to show, everything will be liked by somebody, which is GOOD, if we all liked the same thing, there wouldn't be enough to go around!!!!!

T-Mo

I kinda of like the looks of the older '60's and '70's hoods. And I like the look of the Classic, like my 314-8. The dipped, square hoods of the early '80's C's aren't too bad, I just prefer the other hoods.

CHARGER9AUTO

I kinda of like the looks of the older '60's and '70's hoods. And I like the look of the Classic, like my 314-8. The dipped, square hoods of the early '80's C's aren't too bad, I just prefer the other hoods.

The 1045 with the rounded rear fenders and square hood are neat tractors I paid $101.00 for my '88 416-8 I repaint the hood and rear fenders , footrests .