Sign in to follow this  
Ken B

Travel speed on a 518

Ken B

I thought the 518 I recently picked up was kinda slow so I turned on my GPS and got a speed of 4.2 mph? Whats normal speed? Hydro seems to be real strong and I have a tiny tach hooked up that tells me its turnin 3800 rpm's. What ya think? Thanks for any help.

rickv1957

Travel speed should be about 7mph forward and 3.8 reverse,your linkage may be worn or needs adjustment,Rick

WHC-125

Is it going fast in reverse? If you look underneath the seat or if you take off the seat and fender pan you can see an adjustment with a large bolt and a smaller one inside. That is where you adjust the speed for forward and reverse. It is kinda shaped like a triangle where the bolt goes through and it swivels when you move the lever.

truckin88

Ken,

It is an Eaton 7 /700 right? The two ways to tell are no screw on filter and usually a manual lift no hydro?

I would reference the manual from toro they list the speeds within the first few pages. I think those Eaton's do have drain plugs....how is the fluid? As Chris said check the linkage, adjust it, and lube it with some light machine oil (3 in 1)

-Will

Ken B

Anyone know what I have to type to get the manual for the tranny adjustment procedure on my 1989 518h to come up? I can't get it too work for me. Thanks for any help.

MikesRJ

Anyone know what I have to type to get the manual for the tranny adjustment procedure on my 1989 518h to come up? I can't get it too work for me. Thanks for any help.

Here's the tranny manual:

http://www.MyWheelHorse.com/graphics/file/...04_810395R2.pdf

Ken B

Thanks to all for the help getting the 518's speed up to par. I downloaded the manual and did the needed adjustments. I'm now getting 7.8 mph out of the Gps. This baby is bad to the bone. I rode it all over the neighborhood putting a few miles on it with my 7 yr. old son Cole today. Ain't nothing like the sound of a good runnin Onan. B)

WHC-125

Ken, I am glad to hear you have everything all set on that 518. Now its time to go get a video of that thing at work B)

Ken B

I really hope to get the armstrong fixed soon. I also hope we get a real snow storm sometime this winter. Making vids pushin a few inches around is getting old and not very exciting. I want to find a mower deck and possibly a blower for it.

rickv1957

Ken,glad to see you got her up to snuff!,Rick

Rideawaysenior

The brochure I have gives a travel speed of 5.3mph for the 518. The 520 was 7mph. I'm wondering if it might have to do with the pump as the Eaton 700 which is what was used in the 516 and 518 coupled to four pinion rears. These pumps have no external cooling resivoir where the Eaton 1100 draws oil from the tranny case.