Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

Pickup Truck Tire Question

nylyon

I'm stuck. I need to get tires for my 2003 F250 Crew Cab 6.0l Diesel pickup. I currently have Bridgestone Dueler Revo I's on it. I'm not highly impressed with the treadlife of the Revo's, so I am looking into the Michelin LTX A/T 2 tires as well. Here's my criteria.

1. Load range E I pull a heavy trailer

2. Good wet and snow traction.

3. Good treadwear, at over $200 a tire, I don't want to buy new ones every year

and finally....

4. Quiet. I'm getting old and like quiet, ok I like the sound of the powerstroke, but not the noise from tires.

I have never had Michelin's, but I have Revo's on the truck and Jeep. I like the traction of the Revo's, but I think that they are on the noisy side. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I understand that the Dunlop Radial Rovers are a good choice too, what do you guys think?

Kelly

I've had Michelins on one of my trucks and my wifes car they are alot of money but you get what you pay for, I was happy with both sets, I just bought Firestones a few months ago for my suburban and very happy with them also but they are noisy, Key to tire life is rotate them every 3000-5000 miles I do mine every oil change at 2500miles

chazm

Hi Karl - I put a set of Yokohama Geolander H/T-S on the wifes Jeep a couple of years ago & am real happy with them , quite, nice tread pattern & good price.

I had nitrogen put in them as well, seems to run smoother with it.

And like Kelly said - rotate-rotate-rotate B)

Chaz :party:

buckeyebill440

I had a set of Michelins on a F150, seemed like the compound was too hard, which gave great tread wear, but lacked traction in the snow and cold. Put Firestone on both the Ford and the Jeep, no problems yet! Quiet too....

Sarge

The Yokohama's get my vote as well, very well made tires, excellent traction and very quiet overall. The problem with the Ford, as it's always been-you must rotate tires very often...!!!

Sarge

Nick

I like searching tires on http://www.tirerack.com/ Shows two different stock sizes for your truck to search under. If you like opinions you might try a trailer towing forum or group.

Why does the Ford need rotated more than other vehicles?

Forgot to mention you can also step up to the 19.5s used on F450 and up trucks. Just have to buy all new rims and tires. B) My brother has had good luck with Hankook DH01 on his F450. http://www.ricksontruckwheels.com/wheels-ford.php

hodge

I have the Bridgestone Deuller Revo's also, and don't like them. I have a Cummins, so I can't hear if the tires are loud. But, while they do good in snow, they are horrible in wet grass and mud.

I have heard many good things about the Michelins, and although I haven't had a set for years, the general impression is that they are a good tire.

I myself, though, need a more agressive tire. I cut a lot of wood, and need a tire that performs well in mud and wet grass. So, my next set will be Firestone Destination II M/T's.

You might want to wander around one of the truck websites, like www.dieseltruckresource.com. There is a lot of tire talk on there, and they are using their trucks like you use yours.

rockbuilt

I have had michelins I got 70000 on them great except for snow I put BF goodrich got 70000 out of them great for all conditions best tire I ever had but at $325 per I bought Khumos this time and so far I am very happy with performance I don't expect to get 70000 out of them but at @ $150 per tire I can afford to replace them at 50000 hope this helps

rmaynard

Karl,

I have Michelin LTX M/S tires on my Ford van, my Chevy Astro, and my Subaru Outback. The Astro has had them for 5 years. The 2005 Ford came with them, the 2002 Subaru came with Bridgestones. The Bridgestones were trash. I know they are not A/T's, but I don't think I would have anything but Michelins on my vehicles.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Bob

whchris

cooper atr's all my trucks got em even convinced the boss to put them on the work trucks. there quiet they last and there great in the snow well worth the money if you ask me oh if you dont mind a little noise the st's are good too thats whats on my personal rig but they cost a lot more too

Deere Hunter

I put Dunlop MT Maxx Traction on my F250SD a couple months back. So far I am very happy with them. Take a look at them here http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...=875PR6ROVMTOWL they are not real noisey. My truck is gas, if it was a diesel I doubt I could hear them over the engine. With all the snow we have had these have performed better then I ever thought they would. Seems I can go any where I want in the snow. I'll can get you a pic of what they look like on my truck.

Deere Hunter

eec5c32c.jpg

5dd82141.jpg

nylyon

All good feedback. I am also a member of RV.Net and powerstoke.org. I haven't asked on those forums, but I have looked up (the same or similar question has been asked on both sites). I choose here because, well I like it best, but I may be a little biased B)

The stock F-250 comes with 2 different sizes. Mine is a Lariat and has the 265-75 R16. I use the truck as my daily driver in the winter and as the "family" car. In the summer, it has to tow a 34' Camping trailer.

I don't rotate every oil change (5,000 miles) but every fuel filter change (15,000) miles. I probably should do it a little more often. One of the problems the F250 had with the Revo's is feathering of the tread. A local tire dealer told me that is normal with the F250's, and to rotate more often, yeah I know I should do that.

Wayne, those sure do look nice what size are they? We have almost identical looking trucks, except mine is black and I don't have the cab lights (jealous). With that tread I would think that they wouldbe really noisy? The diesel at highway speeds is really quiet, I can only hear the stinking tires and I don't like that.

baerpath

Only suggestion I have in I'll never run Coopers again.

All I can say is wow on the oil changes, You all really like to change oil. I do mine like IH says it should be done. 10 to 15,000 miles. And I use Cenpeco oil

Just a thought ain't worth much but its free :party:

Old 7.3 went 475,000 miles until it cut a tree in half with the front bumper OUCH B)

Duane

Confused99

I put a set of Nitto Terra Grappler's on my 3/4 Chev last winter and have had very good luck with them so for. I have around 25k on them and they have held up very well. I pull very heavy trailers and plow snow so they take a beating. They have very good snow and wet traction and are surprisingly quiet on the road. Best part is they are fairly inexpensive.

nitto.jpg

C-Series14

Alot of folks on the Duramax site use the Michelin's and Hankook's. I have the Revo's on my K2500HD Diesel and like them as far as traction and low noise but next year, I am going to something else and 285's. I run 265's on my stock rims now during the winter and then during the summer, I am gonna run 33x12.50-18's with Toyo M/T's. Black XD Diesels's are the rims I am getting. I am still a kid I guess. B)

I had the Toyo A/T's on my stock wheels before the Revo's and I did like them, they wore pretty well...

I actually prefer 35x15-16.5 Super Swampers on my 93 K2500HD!!!!

070214035044.jpg

Deere Hunter

They are LT285-75-16. I went with the next size bigger just cause I like the way they fill out the wheel well. They clear with no problem unless you have the factory style splash gaurds. Then they just need trimmed just alittle. something I need to do one it warms up! :party: Just make sure whatever tire you go with has an E rating. So many of the mud n snow tires are only a D rating. As far as tire noise, these are slightly louder than the Pirellis that were on it from the factory. I plan on rotating these every 7500 miles. They may get louder after I get some miles on them, will have to wait n see. If they do I will just turn the radio up B)

nylyon

All I can say is wow on the oil changes, You all really like to change oil. I do mine like IH says it should be done. 10 to 15,000 miles.

Duane, do you have a 7.3 or a 6.0? The scheduled change for the 6.0 (Normal schedule from Ford) is 7,500 miles with 5,000 miles for special conditions. Because of how picky the 6.0 is I choose the 5,000 miles schedule. The 6.0 scares me with how expensive things like the HPOP and injectors are so I go on the safe side.

Raider12puller

I also change my oil every 10-15k miles. But I have the 7.3.

For tires i went up to 285-75-16. I like the General AT2 Grabber. Local dealer said they were suppose to be comparable to the BF Goodwrich.

1186077398Grabber_AT2_3Q.jpg

Havent done much hauling of trailers yet with them. Great traction.

nylyon

How is the tire noise with the General's? I had a set of General Steel II's on my '71 Chrysler 300, and I liked them a lot. I was driving the truck today, and it seems that the tires know they're going, or maybe it's just me but the tire noise sure seems louder.

Raider12puller

Can't hear them over the diesel.

baerpath

Duane, do you have a 7.3 or a 6.0? The scheduled change for the 6.0 (Normal schedule from Ford) is 7,500 miles with 5,000 miles for special conditions. Because of how picky the 6.0 is I choose the 5,000 miles schedule. The 6.0 scares me with how expensive things like the HPOP and injectors are so I go on the safe side.

I have a 2003 7.3. I have heard the 6.0hno's are finicky at best especially the 2003 ones. B)

Duane

clintonnut

Seriously consider this:

FIRESTONE TRANSFORCE A/T tires.

Read blogs on these bad boys. Our army truck has 75000 miles on these tires. 75000 hard miles! When we had around 20-30000 we were going through 2ft snow drifts with them like it was a dream!

Charlie

baerpath

Can't hear them over the diesel.

Can't here them over the diesel ? Thats because ya can't hear the diesel over the radio!! :clap::party::hbd: B)

DMESS

Wayne, that tire sounds like a great choice and really looks sharp on your truck. I hadn't looked around in awhile and I was pleased to see they have it in the goofy 20" size that's on my 350. Last I checked it was Wranglers again or $300 a piece All Terrain TA's. Overall the factory Wranglers are okay as long as you don't mind throwing in the front axle way too often, LOL. I really like the look of that tire and will be anxious to see more Tire Rack reviews on it. I swear by TR and buy tires through them whenever I need em. Put Dunlops on the wife's Mazda last winter and have been pleased with those so far. Lots of Tire Rack research there and it didn't steer me wrong. Seeing that Dunlop almost makes me wish I needed tires on the truck, LMAO.

Oh, 5,000 mile oil changes on my 6.0. The oil driven injectors shear the oil viscosity down over time and the most common answer I found throughout the Power Stroke forums was that 7,500 is just a bit to much for the 6.0. Opinions, however, are like well, you know....your mileage may vary, LOL. B)