nylyon

Thread to end all paint discussion?

nylyon

The question comes up all the time, so I want to make a sticky thread on paint, the recommendations an place to purchase. I would like to know your opinions on paint to use for 1955-1989 and 1990-2007 horses for the Red, White, black and silver for the wheels.

I also found this chart, thoughts?

Once we get all the data I'll create a new post and pin it to the top. I'll start:

For 1955-1989

Red - Valspar Restoration Series International Harvester Red (TSC)

White - Duplicolor Wimbledon White (Autoparts stores)

For 1990-2007

Red - Toro Red - New (eBay and Toro Dealers)

Black -

Silver

MikesRJ

Suggested Addition (sic) 1955-1989:

Wheel Horse Linen: Sherwin Williams - Controls Rust - Antique White (paint code 140-2486)

Addition of Paint Code #

Wheel Horse Red (1955-1989): Valspar Restoration Series "IH Red" (paint code: 3344)

nylyon

Keep them coming, I have added the sticky at the top already and will include all your suggestions.

rmaynard

I personally have had my red matched at an auto paint store and found that GM #81 is a good match.

And so it goes, on and on and on and on..... :party:

I think a list of all the colors that people have used over the years would be nice. Just as long as it is not intended to be the definitive answer to the age old question.B)

Bob

nylyon

Bob, that's what this is supposed to be, the colors that have been used. I'll add the GM #81 to the list.

rmaynard

I modified my reply as you can see. B)

Bob

jimt1971

I have used rustoluem (sp) Regal Red and gloss ivory for wheels.

Jim

• Like 1

Ken B

I don't have much to add at this point. Just last night I was thinking that it would be a very good idea to make this topic a sticky. Lets hope too hear from guys that can provide colors that are known dead ringers.

After all, close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. B)

JimD

Krylon Cherry Red.......Wal-Mart

MikesRJ

Addition of paint codes:

Krylon Cherry Red (paint code: 2101)

Rust-Oleum Regal Red (paint code: 7765-830)

Rust-Oleum Gloss Ivory (paint code: 249110)

Duplicolor Wimbledon White (paint code: T205)

nylyon

Great, thank you!

HorseFixer

Here are the Wheel Horse Paint Codes for PPG Paint. Top Secret Paint Codes No Trouble Hubba Bubba B)

PPG.jpg

buckrancher

Valspar anti-rust #21935 Gloss almond

at tsc

kj4kicks

Wow Bob, If you're going to steal someone else's research, at least give them credit for it. I know where you stole it from, I just don't know (yet) how you did it.

Since you won't do it, I'll send out a Thank You to Dustin and Dan for doing the legwork.

Now do you know which era that shade of red is for? You do realize there are at least 3 different reds over the years, right?

linen beige

Now do you know which era that shade of red is for? You do realize there are at least 3 different reds over the years, right?

B)

rmaynard

:party: Here we go again. B) I'm was trying to stay out of this fight.

I found a color I like and I'm sticking with it. Since this subject seems to rear it's head every couple of months, I don't know why it had to be brought up again by a MOD as a "thread to end all paint discussions", because it won't. Now it's starting to get a little ugly.

Bob

DoctorHfuhruhurr

Wow Bob, If you're going to steal someone else's research, at least give them credit for it. I know where you stole it from, I just don't know (yet) how you did it.

Since you won't do it, I'll send out a Thank You to Dustin and Dan for doing the legwork.

Steal? was it copyrighted? B)

nylyon

Now, now... The intention was to create a sticky at the top of the page. If anyone feels that this is controversial, then just go to the next post.

Now the paint codes that are posted. Because these also contain a linen beige, are these for the pre-1990? Also, is there 3 different red's used, I thought there were 2?

WHC-125

:party: Here we go again. B) I'm was trying to stay out of this fight.

I found a color I like and I'm sticking with it. Since this subject seems to rear it's head every couple of months, I don't know why it had to be brought up again by a MOD as a "thread to end all paint discussions", because it won't. Now it's starting to get a little ugly.

Bob

Bob, I completely agree with you.

All of this talking about paint is getting old. It is your tractor so paint it whatever color you want. That is how you want it and how you like it. So there shouldnt be arguements over what is better and that you should use a specific paint. All this topic was about was to get different paint codes and colors so Karl could "pin" it for other members to refer to.

buckrancher

latest ppg code

ppgpaint.jpg

Ken B

This post has been very helpful for me and I appreciate the input. I like too use a spray gun at times and the paint codes provided will be a big help. Be that as it may, in the end we will all paint it whatever colors we chose to. When a newbie comes along and asks the question of what colors to use in the future we will have a place too send them. When all the info is gathered they can make their own choices with plenty of options.

Almost any red looks good on a Horse. The 518 I just purchased has very nice original paint, on most of it. I'd like to leave the original paint alone and spot paint the imperfections. (floorboards etc.) If we know what colors match the best for specific yrs. that would be most helpful. Keep the info coming! B)

rmaynard

The 518 I just purchased has very nice original paint, on most of it. I'd like to leave the original paint alone and spot paint the imperfections. (floorboards etc.) If we know what colors match the best for specific yrs. that would be most helpful. Keep the info coming!

Ken,

The problem is that paints fade, especially reds. What was Wheel Horse red 10 years ago has now faded to Wheel Horse not-so-red-as-it-was red. Color matching a faded spot would be the only way to match your footrests and such to the hood etc. B)

Bob

Ken B

I know reds fade, this one hasn't. I buffed it out today and the red is vibrant. In my case, with this tractor correct codes would help. It has been inside its whole life and only used too push snow. The rest of the yr it wasn't used. The red under the seat matches perfectly to where I buffed. Lucky me eh.

rickv1957

Nason 400-20 red urethane is what I use,Rick

wheelhorsec85

well to stop the fighting . just remember to use red and white paint . lol B) :party: