Sign in to follow this  
RadFisher

Snow plow blade handle

RadFisher

So I have this snow plow blade mounted on my 312-8 tractor and the handle that angles the blade when I pull it towards me to turn the blade to the left hits against the foot rest. It seems that the frame needs to be forward about 1 inch or so, OR do any of know f they make different rear axle attachment brackets and I could have the wrong one one mounted? The guy i bought the plow/blade from said he had it on a model 1055 Wheel Horse. From what I gather it's a long frame 42" plow From all of the posts I've seen on the forum here I see some of the frames have different shaped blade angle handles also. I do have photos, and a photobucket membership but having a hardtime figuring out how to post them B)

rustynut

i dont knnow how to post them eihter but you can just put the link on here

RadFisher

Nylon. I've gone to that link and tried doing it the way you have listed but I can't find to where I save the pics to the message board. I've edited, down sized and copied but it won;t paste the the post. Does it make a difference that I have a MAC computor instead of a Windows PC??

porkchop

I had mine do the same thing. The handle was bent I removed it and bent it the direction I needed for it to clear and it works fine.

RadFisher

t the pics downloaded on here you can see what I'm talking about. The handle is straight with the lower portion being bent out to the right. It seems that the bracket that the handle bolts to needs to be forward about an inch. Perhaps I could email the pics to someone and they could post them for me. Like I mentioned earlier does anybody know if there are different rear axle attachment brackets that are made and I could have the wrong one?

Thanks!!!!

Sparky

I believe there are more than one type of rear axle bracket. I guess we need pics to help you figure this out.

Mike...........

nylyon

On your MAC, go to your Photobucket link, click on the IMG Code box (the light gray area) If you don't see the words copied, then press Command-C, that will select the text, then in your post press Command-V and you will see something like this

[img=http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab17/radfisher/10-097.jpg]

When you preview your post or submit your post, THEN you will see the actual picture.

10-097.jpg

Sparky

Well your rear axle bracket is correct.

th_untitledevent-106.jpg

Mike.........

Sparky

Not sure you have along frame plow tho. The angle lever is real short looking B) .

Mike........

th_10-093-1.jpg

RadFisher

Thanks nylyon!!! That's what I figured out to post the pics.

So if I do have the right rear axle bracket can someone tell me what the length of the frame should be in order to fit the tractor. Or if you have come across this same problem, what have you done to fix it? Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks Again

rickv1957

Well ,I have seen your problem,you can move bracket and shorten linkage rod a bit,or modify handle,or get a later model blade,Rick

linen beige

Well ,I have seen your problem,you can move bracket and shorten linkage rod a bit,or modify handle,or get a later model blade,Rick

Shortening the linkage bar would make the top of the lever come even further back as it relates to the blade angle. Making the rod just an inch or so LONGER will fix your problem. If this rod is bent, it's effective length is shortened. Make sure it's not bent.

RadFisher

Yeah linen I followwhat your saying.I'll see if I can somehow lengthen the rod somehow. The linkage rod does see to be not bent. To make it longer I suppose I would have to heat it up and stretch it, but I would be worried about weakening the temper and the strength of it. I'll end up taking it to a welding shop and see if they can do it. Perhaps someone else has encountered the same problem and can lend some advice. B) Thanks for your alls help

sorekiwi

You could have the welding shop cut the link, and then sleeve it with a piece of tube to make it longer.

Remember though, what you gain turning left, you will lose turning right, so if you make the link too long the lever may hit the PTO pulley. Ideally I guess the lever should be straight up and down when in the straight ahead position.

My plowing tractor has almost the same problem. Its a bastardized long frame plow thats had some (never measured how much) chopped out of it, and welded back together (wasnt me, it was like it when I got it!!). My lever hits the PTO when I try to angle the blade that direction. I'm going to shorten my link, but I'll wait till the temperature goes up a bit. In the meantime I've adapted to just pushing the snow to the left....

jwindle

WHEN I NEEDED INFO ON MOUNTING MY BLADE, I FOUND ALL I NEEDED ON THE FORUMS SITE. IF YOU DIG AROUND ON THIS WEBSITE, YOU'LL FIND WHAT YOU NEED. I DIDN;T GET REAR BRACKETS WITH MINE. HAD TO MAKE MY OWN. THE PICS I SAW, GAVE ME IDEA ON HOW TO MAKE. WORKS GREAT- PLOWED OVER 48" THE LAST WEEK. 2 STORMS IN SOUTHERN LANCASTER COUNTY- 10 MILES NORTH OF MARYLAND LINE. MY FRAME IS A LONG. CAN BE USED AS SHORT HOOKUP. REAR OF FRAME HAS 2 POSITION HOLES FOR MOUNTING PIN. MINE GOES ALL THE WAY IN BACK FOR LONG. IF I COULD POST PICS, I'LD LET YOU SEE WHAT I DID. SEND ME EMAIL & I'LL DO IT THAT WAY.

RadFisher

Well I think the only way to solve my problem is to make the linkage rod a little longer and see if that helps. What I really need is a 2 stage snowthrower for where I'm at (Alaska) we get alot of heavy/ wet snow. Shipping one from the lower 48 would cost me lot. So I do have a self propelled compact snowthrower, but we Wheel Horse guys know that isn't the way to go. I'll just have to make due with what I got. B)

jusjeepn

That handle is correct for that frame. It fits late 60's - early 70's long frame tractors such as Raiders, Chargers, Electro's. The dozer frame you need actually has the handle mount welded further up the frame and has a different style handle.

See if This helps. You could always go ahead a modify the one you have but there are a zillion dozer blades out there. If you can live with it until spring, they will come up for sale cheap!

tophatbufflo

Do you have the facility to cut the handle mount bracket off and weld it more to the front?

linen beige

Do you have the facility to cut the handle mount bracket off and weld it more to the front?

Moving the mount is a good idea.

As for making the rod longer, I wouldn't alter the rod that is currently on it, unless you don't have access to another piece of 3/8 metal rod. If you DO have access to another piece of rod jus use your current rod as a pattern to make a new, longer rod. As Kiwi said, don't make it too much longer or it might foul the PTO. This leaves the original rod intact if you ever decide to sell the blade.

It could also be that all the pivot holes on your plow are worn just enough to cause this problem. If they are badly worn, bringing them back into specs couldn't hurt.

mcwh1950

It seems that the frame needs to be forward about 1 inch or so, OR do any of know if they make different rear axle attachment brackets and I could have the wrong one one mounted?

RadFisher if you use a rear hitch like this one .

hitch.jpg

you will be able to gain about 2 inch in the front because the hole that you put the plow into are in front of the axle ,and not under it.

or this one .

a503_1.jpg

HankB

RadFisher if you use a rear hitch like this one ....

Here's another picture of the kind of bracket that The Duke is describing.

DSC_1246-PP.JPG

I used it with a 42" blade and frame (that caome off an older tractor) on my 314-H which probably has the same size frame as your 312-8. At full tilt, the blade would just touch the front tire on one side. That blade did not have the lever to tilt from the seat so that was not an issue. However, the rear axle bracket would not work with a tiller I bought last summer so I upgraded to a long frame plow and the rear axle bracket like you have. There's a thread on this site with information of the various frames available.

You might look for a frame by itself to interchange with the one you have or perhaps buy a plow with the right size frame and sell the one you have now.

RadFisher

If I mounted one of these type of brackets to my rear axle, and it would move the frame forward an inch or so then that would fix my problem. I would have to find one for sale somewhere. For now I can get by with it the way it is. In the spring and summer time I might check out my local welding shop and see if they can modify the frame, and also look for a different plow all together like some of you guys have mentioned.

Thanks B)

mcwh1950

I used it with a 42" blade and frame (that caome off an older tractor) on my 314-H which probably has the same size frame as your 312-8. At full tilt, the blade would just touch the front tire on one side.

HankB thank for the picture. If i remember correctly RadFisher own a 1989 312-8 that should have 15x6x6 tire and your 314-H should have (16 x 6.5-8) ,so the blade might not hit his tire.