Sign in to follow this  
btrrg1969

dial a height

btrrg1969

The wheel horse manual states that the dial a height control is used to hold an attachment (other than a mower) at the disired height above the ground.Turn the knob all the way to the left for mower opperation . If I am reading that right , is the deck gauge wheels all that is needed for the mower height? Thanks brandon

Sparky

Thats correct.

Mike.......

rickv1957

Hello and :party: Rick B)

Duff

The wheel horse manual states that the dail a height control is used to hold an attachment (other than a mower) at the disired height above the ground.Turn the knob all the way to the left for mower opperation . If I am reading that right , is the deck gauge wheels all that is needed for the mower height? Thanks brandon

First, :clap: ! Glad to have you among us!

Is your tractor a 300 or 400 series (and I think this may apply to C-series as well)machine? If so, the dial-a-height feature is a threaded "L" rod that goes down inside the dash tower and engages the lift mechanism. When they say to "turn the knob all the way to the left", I would be a little careful - it is possible to turn the knob completely off the rod and then it may drop down inside the machine or out onto the ground depending on the condition and age. :party: I would turn it left (counterclockwise) several turns and then let your mower down. If the mower goes all the way down, you've turned far enough. If not, spin it a couple more turns.

Duff B)

bitten

I use mine for the tiller and front blade.

nylyon

I have used it maybe once or twice with the front blade. I don't have a tiller and don't have much use for dial a height control.

6wheeler

ok, as long as we are on the subject, when I lift my mower on my c-165 it won't hold it up, and, I can't see why. any Ideas? Pat

rickv1957

If handle is not locking in,maybe needs adjustment or some part is damaged,Rick

Duff

ok, as long as we are on the subject, when I lift my mower on my c-165 it won't hold it up, and, I can't see why. any Ideas? Pat

Pat, does the spring that tensions the plunger rod that pushes the release mechanism down inside the lift handle still have tension? (Am I making sense here?)? If that spring is broken or weak, it may not be allowing the lift thingy to engage in the "up" position. B)

Go to https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro.

Enter 01-16K801 into the box and hit enter.

Click on "View Assembly Drawings"

Click on "Lift linkages".

Part #4 is the spring. It allows part #2 to lock into the plate, part #41. It's also possible, although unlikely, that the groove in that plate could be worn.

Another possibility is the deck lift linkage may be set too high so the deck won;t come all the way up to a locking position. I don't know enough about decks to advise you how to correct this if that's the case, but someone else here will for sure.

Hope this gives you some ideas? :clap:

Duff :party:

• Like 1

dcrage

Brandon

I have a 310-8 with a 42 inch deck and 42 inch plow -- I use the "dial a height control" to hold both of these attachments to desired levels above the ground -- When mowing it is NOT needed if you are OK with the cut height using the deck wheels -- I spend a lot of time cutting a yard that only gets mowed 1 time a month -- The lower cutting height using the deck wheel overloads the belt turning the blades when mowing a really tall, thick "yard" -- The extra inch or two lift from the "dial a height control" makes this a managable cut -- I use it on my snow blade because I have a gravel drive and don't want to scrape gravel with the snow

Dave

Imperial, MO

6wheeler

Thanks for the tip Duff, I tried the thumbplunger? I can't move it very much and it doesn't seem to have any spring pressure. So, I'll take it off and see if I can loosen it up. Pat

bitten

I also use it for a single bottom plow.

hotrodmerc

I use mine for the blade when pushing a gravel driveway.

Horse Digger

My C-120 is lacking the some details on the "dial a height", anyone want to post a picture, perhaps I can fabricate the missing parts myself?

obone

I had to grease mine. When in the up position it would not fully lock. A little bit of white lithium fixed it.

Tankman
17 hours ago, obone said:

I had to grease mine. When in the up position it would not fully lock. A little bit of white lithium fixed it.

:text-yeahthat:

I also, from time, shoot a little PB Blaster down the "thumb button" clearance hole.

Thinking, "The blaster'll lubricate the spring".

• Like 1

ohiofarmer
On 2/11/2010 at 11:51 AM, Duff said:

Pat, does the spring that tensions the plunger rod that pushes the release mechanism down inside the lift handle still have tension? (Am I making sense here?)? If that spring is broken or weak, it may not be allowing the lift thingy to engage in the "up" position. B)

Go to https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro.

Enter 01-16K801 into the box and hit enter.

Click on "View Assembly Drawings"

Click on "Lift linkages".

Part #4 is the spring. It allows part #2 to lock into the plate, part #41. It's also possible, although unlikely, that the groove in that plate could be worn.

Another possibility is the deck lift linkage may be set too high so the deck won;t come all the way up to a locking position. I don't know enough about decks to advise you how to correct this if that's the case, but someone else here will for sure.

Hope this gives you some ideas? :clap:

Duff :party:

Wow. That website is like gold. Now all we need to know is how you come up with the code numbers [like 01-16K801] to get to those amazing parts drawings...

gwest_ca
2 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

Wow. That website is like gold. Now all we need to know is how you come up with the code numbers [like 01-16K801] to get to those amazing parts drawings...

This will help for that type of model number

Garry

• Like 1