Sign in to follow this  
dgoyette

lost the pump in the D

dgoyette

Well I hadn't run the D-180 in over a month so I decided to start her up and run her around the yard a bit and maybe move a little snow. I let her warm up for about 10 min before moving her. About 5 min into moving some snow a terrible racket started from the pump and motion control is dead. Uh oh!! Wasn't working her too hard either.

I did have a suspicion it might be going because it did make some noise I didn't particularly care for this summer when I moved some gravel.

So I am down at the end of the driveway too and it's quite a hill to get it up from there. What a bummer.

So i got the C-160 and a tow strap out. Let out the relief valve on the D-180 (I know why bother) and pulled her up with a friend steering. The C did a great job pulling that HEAVY D up. She spun the tires quite a bit but got the D all the way to the shed. I then used the FEL to inch the D back into her corner of the shed and there she sits.

So guess she is either there for a while or I need a new pump asap.

Hey Rob -GZX3sc you don't still have that pump do you? I know you have never used it and therefore cannot say for sure it works, but it might be worth the gamble for me.

whoops - may have posted to the wrong forum. Not sure if should be wanted or just general post?

gzx3sc

Yes I still have the pump. I sent you an e-mail. $75 plus shipping. Sorry to hear about your pump. That's a real bummer. B)

d180man

Hi sorry to hear that ! good luck on the pump or shaft ! you will get it up and running! :party: we had to work on our d for pushing had to put gas line and fuel pump on it ! so they cleand the tank too! so it is back up and running for the snow we are to get monday night 5 to 8 in will find out tueday ! B) but i hope you find what you need ! :clap: :hbd:

rickv1957

Sounds like your pump splines or coupler might have given up,Rick

MaineDad

Dang Darren. Sorry to hear this bad news. Let me know if you need another set of hands when you do the pump swap. I'd be glad to help.

Love that C!

Duff

So i got the C-160 and a tow strap out. Let out the relief valve on the D-180 (I know why bother) and pulled her up with a friend steering. The C did a great job pulling that HEAVY D up. She spun the tires quite a bit but got the D all the way to the shed.

...and anyone wonders why we need more than one Horse in our stables? Sounds like a testimonial to me!

Duff B)

dgoyette

Thanks Rick - that is very likely huh. Do you know if the 18 auto has the same pump as the D-180? Apparently the part numbers are slightly different. But to me it appears that all of the connections and braces are identical so it would appear that even if the pumps are slightly different they would still have to be interchangeable. Do you, or does anyone know for sure?

Micah - thanks very much I may take you up on that as I know you did a great job rebuilding the C-160! - this weekend I am probably going to take the old off just to inspect. Its not as easy to get to as on the C series.

Curtis - hope you get that all set before the storm. also good to see the repair shop and Chris as a vendor here.

One thing I forgot to mention that is kind of funny is that on Sunday when the tractor was broken down by the end of the driveway someone stopped and wanted to buy it. It had died at a nice angle, and with the hood up it looked like it was for sale. I admit I entertained the thought for only a split second. No Way! Ha ha. He was a nice fellow and we talked for a while about the older tractors.

d180man

HI thanks they got it all done for the 4 to 6 and all we got just 2 or 3 in of snow B)B) it keeps going south or north of us ! :party: but as far as i know the pump was the same but let see what rick says but i think all the d pump will work ! just clean it good before you take the pump off ! so no durt gets in the tubes and a may wount to or have to tke the loader off to get to the bottom bolts on the pump ! but good luck with it it still a nice tractor ! they dont brake when they are in the shed :clap: but if you cant find one let me know we have 2 parts tractors and chris could look to see if one of them is good ! and yes chris just though he would try to help out on parts he sale a lot on ebay and cl hope to get a on line store made but you just cant list all the parts ! but have a nice day ! :hbd:B)

cutis

rickv1957

The pumps will interchange fine,Rick

bitten

Hopefully it is just the coupling.

dgoyette

Thanks for the information guys.

I hope it is the coupling too.

A couple more questions if I may.

It appears to me that there is no way to verify this without pulling the whole pump though. Correct? Looks impossible to easily remove just the coupling.

I was looking at the pinning idea but I would still have to pull the pump to drill correctly. I do not have a drill that could drill a precisely from in the tractor. Is it typical to pull the pump if you are going to pin the shaft and the coupling?

defed

you should at least be able to see if the splines are stripped by turning the engine over by hand or even bumping the starter. should be able to see if the pump shaft is turning or not.

you can get the coupling off by sliding the engine forward...but if you want to drill the pump shaft on a drill press etc, it would have to come out. it's kind of a pain to remove. it may be possible to remove the couping, drill it on a machine, put it back on and use it as a guide for drilling the shaft.

d180man

you should at least be able to see if the splines are stripped by turning the engine over by hand or even bumping the starter. should be able to see if the pump shaft is turning or not.

you can get the coupling off by sliding the engine forward...but if you want to drill the pump shaft on a drill press etc, it would have to come out. it's kind of a pain to remove. it may be possible to remove the couping, drill it on a machine, put it back on and use it as a guide for drilling the shaft.

Hi he is right on ! you should be able to see if the splines are stripped ! if not just take the 4 bolts out for the engine and sliding the engine forward to see ! good luck fill free to call or pm if you need help ! B)

curtis :party:

dgoyette

Well I finally got the D-180 moving again. It is not an everyday tractor for me so I took my time and even cleaned up the wiring during the process. I attached before and after on the wiring.

This was my second time doing the pump job because I did the full job a few weeks ago and the replacement pump I got leaked terribly out of the pump housing seal. So had to do the whole thing over again.

Yesterday Micah came over and helped me. Thanks Micah for using the nicest day of the year so far to give a hand. We had to replace the gasket in the pump I got from Rob. Rob bought the pump from E-bay and didn't know the condition. When we got the pump apart the problem was obvious. Someone had opened it up before didn't put a gasket in at all.

So the pump is in and she moves in both directions strong. Just needs a slight linkage adjustment.

Here are some pics of the coupler. I reversed the coupler to get good splines all the way on the coupler using steel spacers.

Now just need to address the leaky trans...

What a rats nest. Some wires were 3-4 times two long and spliced 2 times for no apparent reason.

wiring%20mess.jpg

wiring%20clean%20up.jpg

Very close to the pump nose and pump nose bracket

coupler%20on%20new%20pump.jpg

Steel spacers and longer bolts

coupler%202.jpg

Here she is in the back yard after the test drive

D%2003.20.10.jpg

Now if I can get the leaking trans done I can get the FEL back on...

d-180%20loader%20up.jpg

Operator

:omg: :D Yippy!!! The D lives on and can get back to work.

Randy

72morph

Thank the lord some body is getti r dun. :omg:

Roger from southern Iowa

I'm so glad you got it up and running.

I know when my loader tractor wasn't working it felt like I was trying to work without using my arms and legs both.

I pretty much use mine as my lifting tool for everything.

Everyone doesn't use their loader to the extent I do I guess.

Still nice to have it ready to serve you. :omg:

rickv1957

Darren,glad to hear your D is up and going,looks great also,Rick

73-18 automatic

Darren glad to here you got your D up and running looks like the wiring turned out great :D:omg:

Doug

GerryW

:D :omg: Glad to hear ya got her up and running!! Summers coming so don't wait too long on the FEL!! She looks GOOD!!

Did you not get the extra links for your chains Darren??

Gerry

d200

darren I am also glad to heat your D running again that sure is a nice looking horse. :omg: