Sign in to follow this  
73-18 automatic

D160 pump shaft stripped

73-18 automatic

I was pushing snow today and I heard a grinding sound and was not able to move forwards or reverse found out that pump shaft is stripped and I am trying to remember where to get one any help would be good thanks

Doug

rickv1957

You will have to replace pump shaft and yoke if you can find the parts,I have seen a couple of Ds over the years that had that problem and yoke and shaft were drilled through and had bolt and nut installed,crude fix but worked,Rick

73-18 automatic

Cool thanks Rick for the info

Doug B)

d180man

Hi yes we have seen that too good luck on it ! some time you can find a good part one on ebay ! B) :party:

Horse Rancher

what about machining it down and milling in a keyway then

you could sleeve the drive hub and machine a keyway in that also B)

73-18 automatic

Horse Rancher that sounds like a good idea just wonder how well it would hold up and need to find a machine shop thanks

Doug

Horse Rancher

Your in luck as my father and i have a machine shop in my

garage we have a mill a new lathe a bandsaw mig tig and stick

welders works wonders for fixing these older tractors if you

would be interested in a repair either give us a call at

(231)853-6571 or (231)853-5359 or shoot us an e-mail

thanks Jim & Dan :party: B)

73-18 automatic

Dag gone this D 160 man it stripped both the shaft and the coupler here are some pic

DSCN1836.jpg

DSCN1833.jpg

DSCN1832.jpg

rickv1957

Have only seen a very few stripped over the years,really they have held up good for 30+ years old B) Rick :party:

73-18 automatic

Yes they have I was able to drill coupler but not able to drill shaft so I decided to replace pump with a different one hopefully it will work just as good

DSCN1837.jpg

and it in the tractor have not tested it yet

DSCN1844.jpg

73-18 automatic

Hopefully this pump will be as good or better but it is older because it is a 90-1137 the one that came out was a 90-1173

rickv1957

Splines look geat,good luck with it!,Rick

d180man

Hi good luck on the pump ! B) :party:

dgoyette

Boy you couldn't ask for nicer splines than on that new pump. Did the coupler come with it? Having the mating coupler that kept it in that condition would be nice. Obviously was tight and a great match, unless that pump has been rebuilt with a new spline which may be very likely for an older pump.

bitten

I know that things wear out, but what would cause this?

73-18 automatic

UPDATE It's ALIVE wow this pump seams yo be in great shape I ran the tractor for about an hour and it had plenty of power dgoyette as far as the coupler no I do not have the one that matches the pump but I do have a newer one that is in good shape

and to answer bitten's question I have been told that this was a common problem with Onan power D's but I guess over time the vibration and forward to backward does not help either thanks Doug

d180man

UPDATE It's ALIVE wow this pump seams yo be in great shape I ran the tractor for about an hour and it had plenty of power dgoyette as far as the coupler no I do not have the one that matches the pump but I do have a newer one that is in good shape

and to answer bitten's question I have been told that this was a common problem with Onan power D's but I guess over time the vibration and forward to backward does not help either thanks Doug

HI it was just not the onan engines have looked at over 5 kohlers that did the same thing ! but good to hear you got it up and running ! B) :party:

73-18 automatic

Thanks d180man I had heard that it was real common on the Onan power D's but I guess after 30+ years of use/abuse anything will wear out I will give it the ultimate test today I have some snow to push thanks again

Doug

rickv1957

Doug,Glad to see your up and running! B) Rick

73-18 automatic

Doug,Glad to see your up and running! B) Rick

thanks rick I pushed some snow today and so far so good seemed to have plenty of power even after about 2 hours of use thanks again

Doug :party:

d180man

Hi that great ! news ! B) :party:

dgoyette

That's awesome Doug. Especially glad to hear it because I know there are folks depending on your and your D for snow removal!

I got to check out the splines on mine today. Just removed the engine bolts and moved it a bit forward and yes the coupler just spins on the pump splines. Completely striped I would guess. Pump splines look pretty bad too. I took a few pics but they came out so bad I am not even going to upload. I guess the pump is coming off!

dgoyette

Question for you guys on the coupler. I have seen two different types in regards to how the iron coupler is oriented on the rubber coupler. One is the way Doug's is (mine is as well) and this one.

coupler.JPG

coupler.JPG

See how the coupler appears to be reversed? My WH part's diagram also shows it oriented this way. Were there some models that had different couplers? Like maybe the D-160 used a different one?

Doug's and my coupler

DSCN1832.jpg

defed

is the pump shaft hardened? if not, i would probably try to remove the coupling, drill it for a pin, reinstall it and use it as a guide to drill the shaft. would save alot of work removing the pump.

also, any time you move the engine forward and then move it back to engage the pump, it says in the repair manual to use a timing light on the coupler to make sure it is aligned squarely. if the engine is crooked, it still might engage the pump but would probably add stress to various parts.

d180man

Hi Darren i have seen 1 or 2 like that some one told me if you flip iron coupler you get more splines coverd ? they say there is around 1/2 to 3/4" space if you put it on the right way and if you flip it it will go all the to the pump ! but good luck on fixing it ! just clean it good before you take it off ! B) :party: