Sign in to follow this  
combatmp29r

Grader blade build

combatmp29r

Well after fighting with the camera yaesterday and losing. I can't get the pics from the first grader blade build to download from it. I decided I would just have to build another one. So here it is chapter by chapter. Now don't expect Ian's level of story telling, but I will do my best to entertain as well as possibly give you guys some ideas.

Not having the lawn ranger front blade frame to start with like Nick did in his post, I opted for some 1/8" plate and some 3/4x3/4x1/8" angle iron I had in the steel pile. I posted the drawing with dimensions of the original here.

The pieces of the frame ready for assembly

Graderblade.jpg

Tack welded togethor

Graderblade1.jpg

Graderblade2.jpg

Angle Iron cut to size and welded solid

Graderblade5.jpg

[Graderblade7.jpg

Tomorrow I'll try to find time to finish cleaning up the welds and add the tubes for the plow to mount to and the front to attach to the tractor.

combatmp29r

OK guys someone need to tell me why the pics are so big even resized? Maybe its just on my end because I read Kelly asked the same thing earlier, but they all look huge except the last one on my screen :thumbs:

TT

They look normal to me, Joel.

The first one is smaller than the rest, but the others are "nomal" size. :thumbs:

Sparky

The pics look normal to me Joel. You been drinkin maybe :thumbs: ?

Nice start to yer project as well.

Mike........

combatmp29r

They still look big here :thumbs: Maybe that the problem MIke no I havent been drinking. Wheres the Mt Dew??????? Thanks for the compliment Mike. I'm very pleased with the 1st blade, so this one should be as nice if not better. Got a little experience from the 1st now :D

Terry you say the 1st one is smaller? The last one is smaller on my screen :thumbs:

Karl I've read a couple other posts about pics looking large to the guys that posted them anything up that you know of?

TT

Terry you say the 1st one is smaller? The last one is smaller on my screen :thumbs:

Right click the picture and select "properties", Joel. It should show the image size.

I got 320 X 240 for your first picture and 640 X 480 for all the rest. :thumbs:

combatmp29r

They are all showing 1024x768 on mine :thumbs: They are set at 640x480 on photo bucket though.

nylyon

If you had resized the picture it is very possible that your browser still has the larger version cached. You can clear that by going into properties and clearing your browser temporary files. This will force the pictures to reload, but they look perfect on this end.

combatmp29r

OK thanks Karl. If I get a minute I will try that.

Nick

Looks like you got a good start on the grader blade today Joel. Shouldnt take long now and you will be out testing. :thumbs: We both had the same idea I got started on my grader project again also. Guess we got the 50+ temps to work in the garage while Terry is getting all the snow. I even saw an alert for a chance of flooding again tomorrow. A few weeks back we had some of the worst flooding that we have had in years.

Nick

th_grader003.jpgth_grader002.jpgth_grader001.jpg

combatmp29r

Yeah they are talking about flooding here too Nick. I've got just over 3" of standing water out side my shop doors. Good thing the shop site 8" off the ground huh? I'm really thinking the next project will be a WH mounted pump :thumbs: :thumbs:

Rollerman

Looks good so far Joel...& yours too Nick.

Feeling inspired & think I'm gonna have to cutup one of my vertical plow blades tonight?

I have 2 of the mid mounts...well 1 & a 1/2.... :thumbs:

I'd like to try & build one of the rear mount types Nick like you showed me at the Wapak swaps.

combatmp29r

Cut up a vertical plow? :thumbs: As long as its one of the newer ones like the Bs take I guess its ok :thumbs: :D

Rollerman

I did have a weird A frame that came from a Wheel Horse/Toro Z turn that would have made a slick grader blade base for a large frame.

I sent it home with the other Steve "Refracman" a while back as he plays with the GT's

I'll have to bug him for an update?

T-Mo

Joel,

Nice project - it's seem to be coming along nicely.

combatmp29r

OK Chapter 1 page 2

The frame has progressed. I added the 3/8" ID front tube for mounting it, and the 1" ID vertical tube for the blade to attach to. I also added the sheet metal mounting area for the angle adjusting latch. Here are the pics:

Front mounting tube

GradeBlade003.jpg

Blade mounting tube bottom view

GradeBlade011.jpg

Top view of frame as it is

GradeBlade007.jpg

Bottom view as is

GradeBlade010.jpg

Side view of frame

GradeBlade008.jpg

I still need to build the actuall latch mounts, and latch itself. I'll make the blade and mounts first though

combatmp29r

Chapter 2 page 1

On to the blade :thumbs::D

Here is the Sears 42" donor blade :thumbs:

GradeBlade013.jpg

GradeBlade014.jpg

And then sliced and diced into two very useful size blades. Yes this will be a 42" grader blade not a 40" like the originals

GradeBlade015.jpg

I'm using the bottom half of it so I have a replaceable cutting edge on it.

69DEZ

Looks great Joel. :thumbs: If you get it done in time you can send that up with the tiller! :D No you don't have to paint it! :thumbs:

T-Mo

Looking good, Joel. I'm amazed with the new baby that you still have the time for this. Oh, btw, how's the hand?

Greg B.

Way to go, Joel. You've inspired me enough that I've begun looking for material. :thumbs:

Terry, Joel has to find the time, bacause, with a daughter, he will never again have the money! :thumbs:

Greg B.

kpinnc

Looks great Joel! :thumbs: Makes me want one too!

Kevin

combatmp29r

Terry, Gregs right with 3 kids now there will never be the funding to buy one again :P The hand is great I haven't wrapped it in a couple weeks. :thumbs:

Greg, great to know that you guys are getting something from this :thumbs:

Thanks Kevin, I bet you build a rear blade first though with that 3 point :D

Rollerman

Some pretty cool fab work there Joel & nice step by step pics.

I need to start working with the vert snow balde I have as soon as the house is buttoned up.

Probably give Nick in OH a shout too for some ball park numbers.

combatmp29r

Chapter 2 page 2

Well I didn't get as much time in the shop as I would like, and the camera batteries didn't last as long as I'd like either :thumbs: , but here is todays progress.

The blade mount is started:

GradeBlade018.jpg

I will add gussets to it to keep it from folding back under the pressure of grading. I'm also going to take the blade skids off so It can do its job right :P

Then here are some pics of it set togethor as it will be when assembled.

GradeBlade023.jpg

GradeBlade022.jpg

GradeBlade021.jpg

GradeBlade020.jpg

A word of advice to anyone doing this build. A 1" bolt is not 1"OD. The 1"x8" bolt I picked up today to use for the mounting pin actually measures 1.012" in diameter. Hmmm it doesn't seem to want to fit in the 1" hole. Wonder why?? So tomorrow I will file it down on the outside to fit :thumbs: Heres my sign :imstupid: . Should have taken the digital caliper with me to TSC :D

Greg B.

Joel,

Do you have any plans to reinforce the top edge of your blade? I don't know much, but at my age, I know limp when I'm lookin' at it... :thumbs::thumbs:

Greg B.