Sign in to follow this  
Helmer

Snow Blade Question

Helmer

There are 4 sets of holes on the back side of my blade which locate the trip springs. Which set of holes is best for plowing snow. The manual says to use the second from the top, but I don't really understand why. The further down you go, the more the blade tilts forward. Any insight on whats best? Thanks

rmaynard

I've been using the second hole from the top since '93. Never had any problems or any reason to adjust it. The instructions in the manual states "for general use, the second hole down from the top is used. Tilt forward for earth spreading; tilt back for more aggressive action."

Bob

KyBlue

I'm one hole below bob for snow plowing.. I like the forward lean when Im pushin snow, helps keep it rolling. Same way on my full size plow

can whlvr

i use the top holes,i like the plow to bite in

gamaemry305

I think it all comes down to the angle of the cutting edge to the ground. The farther forward the blade the less aggressive the blade will be. If you are spreading dirt then a more perpendicular the edge to the ground the less likely the plow will dig into the soil. When snow plowing you want the edge to slide under the snow and ice lifting it and rolling it forward.

Helmer

Thanks for the help. I have always used my blade in the top holes only because that's how it was when I got it. I will experiment next time I use it (maybe Saturday??) to get a feel for the difference. I 'm thinking that the second or third set of holes will allow better control in the gravel portions of my driveway.

bitten

I just put the blade in the 3rd set in hopes it would be easer on my gravel. I guess I will know today how it works as we are about to get a snow storm.

HankB

... When snow plowing you want the edge to slide under the snow and ice lifting it and rolling it forward.

Before we paved our drive and I was plowing snow over gravel, I tilted the blade forward thinking it would push less gravel around. I don't know if it really made a difference, but it seemed like the right thing to do.

can whlvr

the blade trips out as i call it too easy on the bottem holes when there is alot of snow