Sign in to follow this  
Confused99

Which Chucker to Keep

Confused99

I picked up a 2 stage blower yesterday in a tractor deal. I have the single stage on the 520 now and it has performed extremely well with no issues so far this year. We really don't get that deep of snow falls around here any more so I don't think that is a big deal. We do get some wet heavy snows from time to time which I hear the single stage shines.

Just looking for some input and the poll results.

Thanks,

Jason

Confused99

Currently sitting at:

Single - 5

2 stage - 6

Anybody have any input on which would be better?

Thanks,

Jason

Wfburton159

Hey Jason. We have been talking about the single stage through emails. I like the single stage that I have on my Deere. Total slush and still threw it. Light snows it works great as well. I have no experience with wheel horse throwers yet. Is the 2 stage wheel horse? Do what makes you feel good. Seems to be pretty even so far.

can whlvr

id keep the spare one,u never know if u might get another tractor

Operator

I'd say try them both, but you know that already. But my single didn't do that great with high moisture content [wet] snow. Barely made it out the chute and I had to poke it a few times to clean out slush.

I'll vote now.

Randyy

Confused99

Voting is still pretty much 50/50 right now. I pulled the single off the 520 and am going to put the 2 stage on it and try it on the next storm (which might be a while). I do like the idea of keeping them both :thumbs:

Jason

Confused99

Wow, still around 50/50

10 single

11 dual

jtmoyer

well after switching to a 2 stage this year:

some things to consider,

1. do you have enough weight on the back to counter the heavy 2 stage?

2. do you have an out of the way place to stash the 2 stage or the muscle to move it around when it is not on the tractor?

i had to put the tiller on mine to make it up the drive.

the single does tend to plug in the wet snow, but it can be solved by keeping the blower feed.

all in all i love the 2 stage and after all it is going on a 520, if you have power to spare why not have a blower bigger then you need? :thumbs:

Curmudgeon

Not enough information to vote.

The 2-stage will out perform the single stage at just about every step, so one vote for it.

If it's not a dedicated mount, the single stage is a lot easier to get on and off. That's one vote for it.

Many other factors that can come into play as well, sometimes making the vote one way, sometimes the other.

Only you can decide which is most important to you.

420lse

I've run both single and 2 stage and prefer the 2 stage. It is heavy so adding weight to the rear was necessary for counter balance. I had no problem hooking it up by myself but I'm thinking about where I'll store it in the summer. I'm keeping the single for backup, ya never know.

Confused99

Thanks for the input guys. As for the rear weight issue, I only have the plastic wheel weights. I may have to find something else to go back there. I have been seriously considering the 3 point and a weight box. My drive is on a slight hill so we will see how that goes. As for storage, I load up the snowmobile trailer in the spring with winter items (shovels, blowers, blades, snowmobiles, etc) and take it to storage so I do have the place to store it. As for it being heavy, that is an extreme understatement. I was actually thinking about putting some lifting eyes on it and using the cherry picker to put it on the trailer and take it off.

As for trying it out, we are supposed to get 2-4" tonight. It is pretty light and fluffy so it might not be a good test. I have it mounted to the 520 so we will see. I will post my results.

Thanks again,

Jason

Confused99

Oh yeah, I still like the idea of keeping the single just in case.

Jason

6wheeler

Hey Jason, you don't get much snow over there in Mound cuz you don't need it B) We get it here in Farmington cuz we do, at least that is what my runts say, :party: I prefer 2 stage but since I use a bobcat now I sold mine. The secret is keep em all, then you get to build a bigger garage :clap: good luck

wheel horse 1045

I'd say try them both, but you know that already. But my single didn't do that great with high moisture content [wet] snow. Barely made it out the chute and I had to poke it a few times to clean out slush.

I'll vote now.

Randyy

same here randy

Confused99

Hey Jason, you don't get much snow over there in Mound cuz you don't need it B) We get it here in Farmington cuz we do, at least that is what my runts say, :clap: I prefer 2 stage but since I use a bobcat now I sold mine. The secret is keep em all, then you get to build a bigger garage :hbd: good luck

My kids want as much snow as we can get too B) Here is why.

IMG00239.jpg

I think you got more snow then we did last night :party:

Jason

Confused99

Got to use the 2 stage this morning. Wasn't a very good test as we onlly got 2-3" of very powdery snow. The blower didn't throw it very far but that could be due to it being so fluffy. Sorry no pics as I was the only one home. It did do a good job though. I did a couple neighbors too. I do think I need some more weight in the back as I had just a little trouble with the hill but it wasn't anything a little running start from the street couldn't fix. Otherwise mechanically, the 2 stage worked very well and the hydro lift seemed to lift it fine. I did pick up a spring from the hadware store to try out. I don't think it is as strong as the correct one but it was $20 cheaper too B)

Jason

420lse

When it's fulffy u have to go fast to feed the auger."The reason I set up a plow horse". Your 520 just wants to gobble it up, that kinda power has an appetite B)

Confused99

When it's fulffy u have to go fast to feed the auger."The reason I set up a plow horse". Your 520 just wants to gobble it up, that kinda power has an appetite :party:

Yeah, I tried to feed it as much as I could but it still didn't seem to thow it very well. I had the hydro lever as far forward as it would go. I do like the "plow horse" idea and plan on doing exactly that next year. Looks like the Raider doesn't get to sleep next winter B)

Jason

420lse

There are 4 height adjustment holes on your thrower "you probably know this" but just in case, if you adjust to the upper right position (C position) you will achieve

-3 " which is the lowest position. Mine is set at (A) which is -2" but my driveway has a pretty good slope and I'm thinking of adjusting to (C position).

Confused99

There are 4 height adjustment holes on your thrower "you probably know this" but just in case, if you adjust to the upper right position (C position) you will achieve

-3 " which is the lowest position. Mine is set at (A) which is -2" but my driveway has a pretty good slope and I'm thinking of adjusting to (C position).

I think I know what you are talking about and believe I have it in the upper left hole. I don't believe I can get in any higher hole but can check again.

I just put the spring in and am guessing it is not really gonig to do much. It felt pretty stiff at the store but it stretched out quite easily when putting it on. Anything is probably better then nothing I guess.

Jason

edit - by higher hole I meant lower hole which would lift the blower higher.

420lse

Yeah,I started in that position,so your barely skimming the pavement. You want to be in the upper right hole. It's only 3/4 to 1 inch difference in height. I don't know what that means with your hydro but it shouldn't be huge.

Which spring are u having problems with?

edit Just noticed your other thread. I have that #7 spring on mine but I use a lift arm and it helps. Nice haul by the way B)

Horse Rancher

I would say keep them both I have two blowers setup ready to go

one is a backup plan incase one breaks your not trying to rush to

get it done in the middle of a storm, fix it later when its not packed full of snow B) :party:

Confused99

Yeah,I started in that position,so your barely skimming the pavement. You want to be in the upper right hole. It's only 3/4 to 1 inch difference in height. I don't know what that means with your hydro but it shouldn't be huge.

Which spring are u having problems with?

So...I think I am confused B) .....Looking at it, if I have it in a lower hole, wouldn't that lift the blower higher? What hole should the lift link be in on the rockshaft (is that the correct term?)? Currently, I have it in the 2nd in from the end which I thought was correct. Currently, the blower is approx 3 inches off the ground when raised.

Thanks for the help,

Jason

420lse

My camera battery is charging. I'll post a pic of the manual. The lower holes lift higher yes. The upper holes allow the the unit to move lower when you go from a level grade to a downhill grade. The lower holes will only allow the unit to stay in a level position even when you procede downhill.

Confused99

My camera battery is charging. I'll post a pic of the manual. The lower holes lift higher yes. The upper holes allow the the unit to move lower when you go from a level grade to a downhill grade. The lower holes will only allow the unit to stay in a level position even when you procede downhill.

Makes sense now. So should I move mine to the position yours is in?

Thanks for the help,

Jason