Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

How to save an Electro

nylyon

Being several weeks delayed, I am planning on getting the '68 Electro into the garage today. My plans for the Electro are to use it for some parts for the C-120 which is going to begin shortly. First up is to evaluate the Electro to see if it is too good to use as a parts donor. So I am going to dip the carb today so it can be started. I know that it has good compression and spark. COmbine that with fuel and it should run.

I bought the Electro because I needed the following parts:

1. Bellcrank pn: 6615 (Hydro bell crank, with indicator bar, the C-120's was butcher welded)

2. Foot rest bracket pn: 8007 This is completely missing on the C-120

3. possibly the Hydraulic hoses should they fit

and other miscellaneous parts. As I was showering today (my place of thinking) I thought that maybe the Electro should be spared, but I would need to get the above parts.

Well, it's off to the shed to start to push the Electro into the garage. I will get some pictures of it as well for all to see.

TT

I got you covered on the first two, Karl. :thumbs:

Can't help you with the hoses though. :thumbs:

TT

Here's the bellcrank:

022008006.jpg

I have quite a few of the footrest clamps floating around here too.

kj4kicks

Karl, Get some pics of the hoses, and where they go into the pump. I know a guy...

Rollerman

Karl I to have those parts I saved off an Electro 12 I parted some time ago.

Still have the bell crank,cylinder,valve, & hoses

My Electro had the weird little bent arn comeing off the vave too...not sure if that was right?

Greg B.

Karl,

Sure would be nice if you could save them both. Listen to me, will ya? :thumbs: You guys have created a monster. :thumbs: As far as I know, mine is the only one in the area and it was drug here, via Florida, from Arizona. Not big WH country. Wish I could find more.

Greg B.

nylyon

Ok guys, here it is. My Electro 12:

IM000006-1.jpg

IM000007-1.jpg

IM000008-1.jpg

IM000009.jpg

IM000011.jpg

IM000012.jpg

IM000013.jpg

IM000014.jpg

IM000015.jpg

IM000016.jpg

IM000017.jpg

IM000018.jpg

TT

Definitely fix it up, Karl. It doesn't really look that bad and seems very complete.

I have an new electric PTO switch here and parts from many of that style tractor.

kj4kicks

Oh yeah !! That's waaaaaay to nice to part out ! But you have to consider the source here.

I have a dash plate that is a little bit nicer. I'll donate that to the cause.

Do both of the lift lines go into the side of the hydro pump, or does one of them go around to the back?

Are the hood decals woodgrain? TD has that figured out, and it would be easy for him to make.

TT

I think he needs the lines for his C-120 Eldon. (and the other parts too)

He bought the Electro for those parts, but now that he's contemplating "saving" it, he still needs C-120 parts.

(BTW -- The bellcrank in the above photo is in a '76/'77 C-160)

nylyon

When I found the Electro for sale I looked at the parts diagrams and most of the parts interchange directly with the C-120. I had originally thought that I would take the engine off the Electro and put it on the C-120, but since the Electro has magneto ignition and the 120 has battery, the swap would need to include additional work (converting either the tractor or engine) which doesn't make it practical for a temporary scenario.

My main goal is to get the C-120 going, that's as close to a C-160 as I have gotten, for a reasonable price, but the C-120 needed some parts. Finding the Electro for $50 seemed the sensible thing to do because it has new hydraulic lines, new tie rod ends, good hydraulic valve, and the engine is SUPPOSED to have been rebuilt not too long ago. The Electro needs some body work, it has a lot of holes in the hood and much more surface rust than the 120. Did you notice the front attach-a-matic?

The hydraulic lines on the C-120 going from the valve to the trans were either replaced at some point, or just plain wrong from the get go. I know this because they look like aeroquip lines, not hydraulic and one makes a loop to get to it's fitting so the Electro with it's new lines was going to be a donor for that as well.

I'm going to bring the carb inside and disassemble it then put it in the carb dip for a half hour or so. I need to get a new gasket, bolts to mount it, and the little bracket to hold the choke cable on the carb then we'll get it running and make a final determination on it. It is complete except it doesn't have the electric PTO.

sorekiwi

SAVE IT! :thumbs:

nylyon

Well, the carb is in the dip now. It didn't look all that bad when I took it apart. Tomorrow I'll take a trip to get a new gasket, maybe they'll have a choke cable bracket lying around. Then we'll try to start it up.

nylyon

Now I'm wondering if this carb is the original. It has some yellow paint on it. I'm going to put it on and try it, we'll see. Anyone happen to know the Kohler pn: for this K301?

T-Mo

Karl,

I'm in the camp to save it. But, of course, ultimately it's your baby and your decision. But it does look complete and it doesn't look bad at all. :thumbs:

kpinnc

I like it Karl. I'd save it too.

Looks much better than half of mine do!

Kevin

Kelly

I'd say save it, But make a list of stuff it needs and figure the money to do it, then look at what you could do with the parts off it. I have a 69 Electro that was that way, it's now going to be parts for the 68 Electro and one of my raiders and my bronco 14, I'm parting one to save three. and will have left overs for others. I was going to save it but looking deeper it had a hard life steering was shot front axle spindles, trans leaks, sheet metal has many holes and rust dents engine runs but smokes bad. We can all give our opinions by looking at a pic, but you are the one that can say it is worth it. good luck. just my 2 cents worth.