Sign in to follow this  
stevebo

Proper way to repair a D series Rear End?

stevebo

Guys,

What is the best/proper way to repair a crack in the rear end case? The one I just got from joe's has been repaired but I just want to make sure it was done right. I have gotten mixed results.

braze, weld, nothing ??

refracman

In my opinion welding would be the best IF properly done. Most likely the weld had to be done in the feild and not where the fasteners are and with the trans not holding any major pressure it will holdup fine.

pfrederi

Welding would be the best...but welding cast iron correctly requires skill. From what I have read the item must be heated, welded with an expensive nickel rod and cooled slowly. When you look for a welder find someone who has experience welding tractor engine blocks....

There is a significant gouge on the inside on my case under the differential bull gear...just luck it hadn't cracked the case....

VinsRJ

Steve, there is a welding shop I use to work for in South Windsor CT, AMK Welding. (I know a little bit of a drive for you) They are a very high quality welding operation in the aero space industry. I had them weld my RJ35 iron steering wheel in three places (one spoke and both roll pin areas). As I expected it came out mint and reasonably priced....

The above mentioned process is on target when welding cast iron. If the part is not pre-heated and cooled properly the cast iron can fracture around the welded area. A welder must also be able to read cast iron as there are different types and qualities of the material which dictates the style of welding process.

rickv1957

I would locate another non repaired rear,just my 2 cents,Rick

VinsRJ

Whats the going rate for a replacement D-Seriers rear? I barely see a whole D for sale. :thumbs:

jimbotelho

steve why dont you bring it to "wing nut" he is a good welder that can do the job the right way at least have him look at it before you go thru the work and effort

d180man

I would locate another non repaired rear,just my 2 cents,Rick

Hi i would do the same as rick sead or what pfrederi sead and get some one that know what there are doing !! did joe list it was cracked ? i am taking you got it of ebey if not give he a call and he may have one that is not bad ! but good luck with it ! :thumbs: :banghead:

stevebo

Chris 11 offered to tig weld the original cases and I am taking him up on it. I did call Joe's and they offered to refund 50% of the money I paid for it ($50) do I ended up paying $125 for a parts rear end... I am not going to argue the point.

I will be closing this topic. You can follow the progress in the other tread titled My first loader tractor haul today. Thanks-