Sign in to follow this  
perry

tractor vibrates ?

perry

what do you think would cause my 1277 to vibrate ?. everything appears to be tight and spinning smooth :thumbs: . i need new hood bushings so that thing rattles like crazy, and the steering shaft rattles in the dash hole. its driving my crazy :thumbs: . when i sit on it at a high idle it makes my cheeks on my face vibrate .

did the older kohlers engines have balancing gears ? . and do they still sell the plastic hindge hood bushings ?.

kj4kicks

Perry, My old 1077 shakes a little, but not too bad. The hood hinge bushings are #5457 (still available). The steering column bushing is #5409 (Disc).

TT

what do you think would cause my 1277 to vibrate ?. everything appears to be tight and spinning smooth :thumbs: . i need new hood bushings so that thing rattles like crazy, and the steering shaft rattles in the dash hole. its driving my crazy :thumbs: . when i sit on it at a high idle it makes my cheeks on my face vibrate .

did the older kohlers engines have balancing gears ? . and do they still sell the plastic hindge hood bushings ?.

Perry, I'm a little late with this, but the 4712 spec # K-301's should have balance gears. (Unscrew the dipstick and look down the hole with a flashlight -- you should see them if they're still there.)

You might want to try and isolate the source of the vibration too. Does it vibrate worse with the hydro pump running than it does when the drive belt tensioner is released?

You can also pull the S/G belt guard and belt off, and rope start it to see if any of it is coming from the generator. (doubtful)

While you have those parts removed, unbolt the flywheel pulley and inspect the cooling fins on the flywheel for damage. (one missing fin will cause quite a vibration) There might also be a build-up of dust, dirt, and oil inside the flywheel that could cause an out-of-balance situation, but that's doubtful too. (Make sure the flywheel nut is tight while you're there.)

MTD P/N 741-0293 is a $3 nylon flange bushing you can use for the steering shaft at the dash. It has an O.D. of 1" so you might need to open the hole up a little in the aluminum -- which is good because I find a lot of the holes are worn "egg-shaped" anyway.

T-Mo

As I was reading this, I couldn't help but think about my decision to leave the balance gears out of my K321. :D But, the engines on the older models were mounted solid to the frame, right? So there might be more vibration IF someone did leave out the gears. But, is it possible that the original gears are still in and now are wobbling around on bad bearings waiting to become "grenage gears"? :thumbs: I have read on people hearing a rattle just before the gears come loose and damage the engines, so maybe there is a bit of vibration involve in this process, especially on the solid mounted engine models. :thumbs:

T-Mo

One more thing and I'm just grasping at straws here, is it possible a bent pulley causing this? :thumbs:

TT

As I was reading this, I couldn't help but think about my decision to leave the balance gears out of my K321. :D But, the engines on the older models were mounted solid to the frame, right? So there might be more vibration IF someone did leave out the gears. But, is it possible that the original gears are still in and now are wobbling around on bad bearings waiting to become "grenage gears"? :thumbs: I have read on people hearing a rattle just before the gears come loose and damage the engines, so maybe there is a bit of vibration involve in this process, especially on the solid mounted engine models. :thumbs:

Terry,

One time -- and only one time, did I see the complete lower balance gear and stub shaft laying in the oil pan when a particular engine was disassembled. The guy said it started leaking oil out a hole by the pulley, so he pounded a 1/2" cup plug in the hole and kept right on running the engine. It vibrated like an nest of hornets, but never blew apart. Needless to say, that engine was reassembled without balance gears. :P

The vibration Perry is talking about is more of a "buzz", which is more popular with the solid-mounted engines. (especially single cylinders)

I used to own an old HD Sportster, and after riding it about an hour, my fingers would actually be numb. You'll notice the same type of vibration in the metal handle of a push mower too or when using a "weedeater".

I'm not going to say what causes them to do that, because I have no clue. I'm guessing it has a lot to with the explosions in the cylinder and the constantly changing direction of the piston assemblies.

If you read the excerpt from the manual that I posted the other day, it states that "Most K321 and K341 K-series engines are equipped with a balance gear system" -- To me, that means that some of them were not. :D

T-Mo

TT, thanks for clearing this up a little more for me. I now know what Perry is meaning by "vibration". I'm picturing something like you said, the weedeater. I know when I use my Snapper weedeater my hand is shaking if I use it over, say a half hour. Now with my Stihl I don't have that feeling as it isolates the engine more and it's not felt in the handle. Now would be a good place for a "light bulb" smilie. But I guess I'll use this one instead - :imstupid:

perry

ill have to look into it further. the steering wheel is not too sloppy, just hase enough play to rattle. the hood bushings are shot. i looked on line and they want almost $20 to ship them to me :thumbs: for 2 little hood bushings.

curly

This may sound silly but I had another brand that did the same thing when deck was engaged and found I had a flt area in my belt. Check belts for excessive wear or flattened areas. This corrected my problem.

TT

:thumbs: , Curly!

Perry just replaced the drive belt on his 1277 and doesn't use the PTO / mower.

I think it's just the fact that the tractor is 41 years old and they have a certain "feedback" built in to them to let the operator know he's on a real piece of equipment, not some "wanna-be" piece of tin with a neighborhood friendly muffler and noise and vibration dampening tecnology like is found on the new stuff. :thumbs:

T-Mo

Curly,

I also want to :thumbs: . I'm glad you found us.

perry

:D , Curly!

Perry just replaced the drive belt on his 1277 and doesn't use the PTO / mower.

I think it's just the fact that the tractor is 41 years old and they have a certain "feedback" built in to them to let the operator know he's on a real piece of equipment, not some "wanna-be" piece of tin with a neighborhood friendly muffler and noise and vibration dampening tecnology like is found on the new stuff. :thumbs:

you said it buddy. i put a piece of foam on top the dash where the hood sits. it helped out alot. i think once i get the front hood bushings ill be set. i just could'nt stand all that rattleing. maybe it has a over sized cam in my 12hp :D . feels like im sittin in the stang :thumbs: . remember, im used to the 877 with a small block.

welcome curly...... :P

perry

TT

I really like looking out over those looooooong skinny hoods! :thumbs:

kj4kicks

I really like looking out over those looooooong skinny hoods! :thumbs:

Me too !! :thumbs: