Sign in to follow this  
Kelly

steering wheel

Kelly

I was look at Perry's very nice orig. 1277 :P and I seen the steering wheel looks like the one on my 953 are they the same? :thumbs: or has one been changed? I'm finding GOOD steering wheels for the older tractors are getting harder to find, Like my Raider 12 I picked up a very nice wheel for it, and found out there is textured ring around the outer edge, all my others just have a line or are worn smooth. Also has anyone figured out how to make the center round again where the center cap goes?(two spoke wheels) I can't tell if it's shrinking :thumbs: or the wheels are bent down on the outer ring pulling the spokes down making the center an oval. :D

TT

The P/N for the first 953 wheel is 2817, and if it has the "steering revision", it calls for P/N 4875 -- which is also the P/N for the wheel on a 1277. (a few other tractors had this wheel too.

P/N 4983 is the wheel used on the '64 round hoods, and most '65, '66, and some '67 tractors.

The "oval center hole" problem seems to be normal on the 2 spoke wheels. I have even seen some of the 2 spoke C series wheels with the same problem. You could probably "straighten" them in a press, or by making a wide 2 leg "puller" to hook under the rim of the wheel.

kj4kicks

While doing the '75 C-160, I also found the center to be oval shaped. It hadn't had a center cap in it for many years.

It is a 2 spoke wheel, the the center part was fairly flexible, like rubber. I was able to work the center cap into by starting one edge, and working around the outside with a small pick. Sort of similar to installing a tire onto a wheel.

Hope that helps....

Rollerman

I was look at Perry's very nice orig. 1277 and I seen the steering wheel looks like the one on my 953 are they the same?

Kelly I seen TT already gave you an answer.

Thats one of the things that make the early long frames look good..they had the big steering wheels. :thumbs:

CHARGER9AUTO

The P/N for the first 953 wheel is 2817, and if it has the "steering revision", it calls for P/N 4875 -- which is also the P/N for the wheel on a 1277. (a few other tractors had this wheel too.

P/N 4983 is the wheel used on the '64 round hoods, and most '65, '66, and some '67 tractors.

The "oval center hole" problem seems to be normal on the 2 spoke wheels. I have even seen some of the 2 spoke C series wheels with the same problem. You could probably "straighten" them in a press, or by making a wide 2 leg "puller" to hook under the rim of the wheel.

Terry in PA , The GT-14 , 953 , 1054 , 1054-A takes the two spoke steering wheel. :thumbs: Ben...

Rollerman

I beleive Jacobson used the same steering wheel on some of there models of the same time period too.

I'll be it with a differant logo on the center cap. :thumbs:

TT

Terry in PA , The GT-14 , 953 , 1054 , 1054-A takes the two spoke steering wheel. :thumbs: Ben...

The only GT-14 that has the two spoke wheel is the 1969, Ben.

The 70's & 71's have P/N 7420, which is a 3 spoke wheel just like on the Raiders, Chargers, etc.

CHARGER9AUTO

The only GT-14 that has the two spoke wheel is the 1969, Ben.

The 70's & 71's have P/N 7420, which is a 3 spoke wheel just like on the Raiders, Chargers, etc.

Terry, I feel :imstupid: about what tractors uses the same parts . Ben

TT

You don't need to feel :imstupid: , Ben.

We're all still learning about these tractors and NO ONE will ever know everything there is to know about them.

CHARGER9AUTO

You don't need to feel :imstupid: , Ben.

We're all still learning about these tractors and NO ONE will ever know everything there is to know about them.

Yeah I know . Ben :thumbs: