Sign in to follow this  
Shuboxlover

Belt smoking

Shuboxlover

Tractor (C-160 auto) is new to me.

Got it running tonight, put a brand new toro/wheel horse drive belt on it. Took her out for a cruise and the belt started smoking. I noticed when I put the belt guard on, the belt and guard were basically touching. It doesn't look like there is any slop in the belt guard to adjust it. It mainly looks like it's rubbing up by the drive pulley, right before AND right after in contacts the drive pulley.

Has anyone else had a problem like this and what did you do to fix it?

Thanks

TT

Did you clean all of the rust out of the groove in the drive pulley on the engine?

Did you make sure the belt was tensioned (parking brake handle pushed down) when you installed the guard?

Did you check the condition of the drive belt idler/tensioner pulley bearings?

Shuboxlover

Answers...

No

No

Yes

The drive pulley looked pretty decent, very very light surface rust. Should it be bare metal?

I don't remember the position of the tensioner when I installed the guard.

I do remember spinning the idler pulley to see if it was free, but I guess I didn't check side to side motion, but I think I would have see that, but maybe not.

TT

Pushing the handle down tightens the belt and allows you to check for proper tension before you install the guard. It also helps hold the bottom "run" of the belt tight so it will follow the correct path inside the guard.

Without looking, I think your tractor uses #7478 drive belt. Does that number sound familiar?

Shuboxlover

Yes, that's the belt I ordered and installed

tgranthamfd

We had that problem a couple of weeks ago, but the tranny was full of water and it ended up being frozen, may not be your case though. Just a thought.

Shuboxlover

TT saves me AGAIN :lol:

I didn't have the belt under tension when I installed the guard, so I wore a nice groove into my brand new belt :thumbs::banghead::WRS::lol::hide:

Thanks again for the great advice TT :wwp: