Sign in to follow this  
jla1257

Unhappy Horse

jla1257

I got my 1257 out of the storage unit a couple of days ago, in anticipation of having some work to do. I fired it up and drove around the yard without any major problems, but when I put a load on the engine it started to object. I can not say how much weight was on the back of it but it was only a 28 ton hydraulic log splitter (see photo below). On flat ground I had to throttle all the way down and open the choke wide open to keep it running. Once I hit an incline it really started to show its unwillingness to work. The engine would start dying out, the generator warning light would come on and it gave up its spirit.

I am not a small engine guy (or a large engine guy), but what I figured on doing was change the air and fuel filters, clean the points, give it a new spark plug and use some spray carburetor cleaner. Does anyone have other thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you

Logsplitter.jpg

Rollerman

Sounds like a gummy carb to me...probably from sitting in storage.

It should run "happy" agan after you do what you have planned out above.

Keep us posted how it turns out & sweet looking 1257 too. :thumbs:

Dw Andy

Sounds like a gummy carb to me...probably from sitting in storage.

It should run "happy" agan after you do what you have planned out above.

Keep us posted how it turns out & sweet looking 1257 too. :thumbs:

Yeah I agree on the gummy carb. Next time you store it away put in some " Gasoline Stabilizer" Nice seein' you're tractor out in the woods doin' some work. :banghead:

W9JAB

KNOW YOUR GUM

bear.png

worm.png

carb.png

:thumbs::banghead: :WRS:

Indy w h

Hope ya get it running again!!!! Keep us posted!!

Indy

Cody

Yup sounds like a good carb cleaning and a tune up and she will be purring again, great looking 1257 :thumbs:

Speedbump

I would check for some water in the carberator bowl.

It will sometimes run ok untill you put a load on it, than, as it reqires more gas it sucks up a drop or so from the bottom of the bowl (also happens with dirt/rust).

Often, you can just remove the bowl, clean it and reinstall and be up and running. But you need to check for water or dirt in the tank.

Condensation is often the problem for my area of the country.

Stress Test Pullin

KNOW YOUR GUM

bear.png

worm.png

carb.png

:thumbs::banghead::WRS:

lmao :wwp:

but a gummy carb does sound like the culpret

jla1257

Thanks all who have responded so far. I have only had the 1257 for around 6 months now. Prior to that it was my grandfather

KC9KAS

I use a product called "Sea Foam", and it works in the fuel of gasoline & diesel engines, and also in the crank-case oil. It can be purchased at RURAL KING, and many, many auto parts stores.

I used it in a 1978 Goldwing that was running poorly and only 33 MPG. The M/C still ran rough when the SEA FOAM was in the fuel, but after a couple of tanks, it ran great, and 40 MPG!

squonk

I use a product called "Sea Foam", and it works in the fuel of gasoline & diesel engines, and also in the crank-case oil. It can be purchased at RURAL KING, and many, many auto parts stores.

I used it in a 1978 Goldwing that was running poorly and only 33 MPG. The M/C still ran rough when the SEA FOAM was in the fuel, but after a couple of tanks, it ran great, and 40 MPG!

Sea Foam is great. Take off the bowl, dump out the crud and run Sea Foam thru it and I'll bet it will be good as new! :thumbs:

rickv1957

Looks good there in the woods,hope you get er going,Rick

jla1257

I will give the Sea Foam a try tomorrow if I can find it.

rocking 416

Hey dont feel bad my john deere 110 did the same thing to me today. got it running after varnish fuel. She was running great. So i gave it a bath with ivory soap an degreaser. Crank Crank put put. I put differnt needle an seat in Same thing. i think ill check the points an do some coil testing first thing in the am :thumbs:

Deck015.jpg

rwilson

Maybe it does have worms! :WRS::banghead: :thumbs:

jla1257

I went to town today and picked up a new sparkplug, spray carb cleaner, dry gas and Sea Bright. The air filter needed to be special ordered. After using the few things I did manage to pick up, the 1257 ran quite a bit better up and down the road with a slight incline. Unfortunately, I can not get into the yard because we had a pretty severe rain with flooding last night and I do not want to have to pull it out of the mud again. Later I will try hooking my 5X8 trailer up to it and see how it does with that load (which needs to be done before someone complains to the home owners association about me driving my tractor on the road). I did find a small drip of gas coming off of the carburetor bowl but did not fuss with that in fear of tearing up the gasket without a replacement on hand.

So, for now

Retired Wrencher
Thanks all who have responded so far. I have only had the 1257 for around 6 months now. Prior to that it was my grandfather

jla1257

I put a load on her and it was a no go. I guess she was just putting me on. I guess its time to start fussing with the carburetor.

pfrederi

Did you look at the points??

If it starts ok and runs reasonably smoothly but staggers under load in addition to adjusting the high speed jet you should also adjust the governor. It is covered in the K series service manual but the short version is:

Engine off pull throttle wide open. Loosen clamp on the governor arm..holding the throttle arm wide open turn the governor shaft away from the carb (anti-clockwise) until it stops. Re-tighten the clamp.

It is rare for them to move but if someone had been tinkering.....

squonk

I went to town today and picked up a new sparkplug, spray carb cleaner, dry gas and Sea Bright. The air filter needed to be special ordered. After using the few things I did manage to pick up, the 1257 ran quite a bit better up and down the road with a slight incline. Unfortunately, I can not get into the yard because we had a pretty severe rain with flooding last night and I do not want to have to pull it out of the mud again. Later I will try hooking my 5X8 trailer up to it and see how it does with that load (which needs to be done before someone complains to the home owners association about me driving my tractor on the road). I did find a small drip of gas coming off of the carburetor bowl but did not fuss with that in fear of tearing up the gasket without a replacement on hand.

So, for now

jla1257

Sorry, Sea Foam. It did run a lot better and smoother after adding the Sea Foam.