Sign in to follow this  
stevebo

Auto 18 (1973) Transaxle Question/help

stevebo

Guys,

Got the Auto 18 pressure washed today and in the shop. Jacked it up and added rear end fluid and it poured right out the bottom of the case :banghead:

It looks like the tractor was jacked up under the transaxle case or drawbar and it pushed through the case. It looks like it pushed in and not out coupled with the fac that when sitting on jackstands the tires spin the opposite way with no noise so I have to believe the rear end is good.

I would like to know if anyone has repaired these before or will I have to replace?? The part numbers for the right and left cases are as follows:

RH case #103636

LH case #102617

Joe's outdoor as a transaxle out of a 1979 D160 with part numbers 106456 RH and 102617 LH. Will this one fit in my machine or not??

If you have any advise or experience on this please let me know. If you happen to have an extra set of cases laying around that you would like to sell, let me know. Thanks- :thumbs:

nylyon

Steve, i'm not sure this can be right, but when I put in those part numbers they returned C-120's and C-160's as well as the D's. Could the trans case be the same as on the C-Series automatics? If so, that greatly increases your chance of getting one.

Rollerman

Steve the earlier 18 Auto's & D's had a problem with shearing off the bolts holding the differential together.

Once the bolts sheared the parts or left over peices would often get jamed under the diff breaking the bottom of the case out as the diff pulled them around...this sounds like what you are describeing.

As far as a 79 D160 transaxle assembly fitting into your 18Auto.

Yes it will & will also (I believe) have the letter upgraded differential bolts.

Good luck getting your 18A/FEL going, I'm looking forward to the progress reports. :thumbs:

stevebo

Rollerman,

I think you hit the nail on the head with this one. I just took another look at it and looks like something pushed from the inside out. I thought maybe there was water in the tranny and it froze?? Here are a few pics of the damage. You can see how the case pushed out. What to do next? Buy the entire transaxle or just the case?

rear3.jpg

rear2.jpg

rear1.jpg

Karl, I am not sure if they are the same as the c120s

Rollerman

Steve it's not my money, but I'd buy the entire transaxle assembly.

Chances are you may need more than just the case's repaired on yours.

Also keep in mind the 1979 transaxle is going to be a little beefier with upgraded hardware in the differential assembly.

Indy w h

Sorry to hear about your rear-end :thumbs:

Indy

pfrederi

I think I would go with a complete replacement. If something broke it from the inside there could be other (albeit silent) damage). :thumbs:

I hope little pieces of what ever broke got caught in the intake screen and didn't circulate through the hydro pump and or motor....

dgoyette

I think this happened to mine when the prior owner had it because my case has been welded. Looks like a good weld.

I thought I read the 1979 had a different brake set up on the transaxle.

rickv1957

Steve,you will have to use the early rear 73 to 77,as the newer models have a different brake assem,Rick

stevebo

Okay Guys,

I was planning on bidding on a rear end that Joe's had listed from a D160 (1979) but two people told me that the brake assembly is different and that I need to find one from 73 to 77. Can this be confirmed ?? That may explain why one case part number was the same and the other was different. :thumbs: I do not want to miss the auction if the one from the 79 @joes is the same. It ends tomorrow-s

nylyon

I don't know if the C-series are the same or not, but you're more than welcome to look at the 160 to see if looks the same.

d180man

Steve the earlier 18 Auto's & D's had a problem with shearing off the bolts holding the differential together.

Once the bolts sheared the parts or left over peices would often get jamed under the diff breaking the bottom of the case out as the diff pulled them around...this sounds like what you are describeing.

As far as a 79 D160 transaxle assembly fitting into your 18Auto.

Yes it will & will also (I believe) have the letter upgraded differential bolts.

Good luck getting your 18A/FEL going, I'm looking forward to the progress reports. :banghead:

Hi this is right ! we have one that has been fixed but it still drips oil ! :thumbs: i would get the hole trans or just the housing ! if you dont find them let me know we may part one out but joe on ebay list a lot of d stuff good luck on it ! :WRS: :wwp:

rickv1957

Steve I will compare an early and a late,I have both just to comfirm tomorrow when I get home from work,Rick

stevebo

Thanks Rick!

73-18 automatic

ok looks like the older D 73 18auto 1-0610 has the same housing as a 74 c160 1-0480 with the rh housing being 103636 and lh 102617

Rideawaysenior

Does anyone know the difference between the two different types of brake set ups? I noticed on a couple of D200's and D180's that the brake is actuated by the motion lever that is toggled down and pulled back. I've got a D160 that has the brake actuator on the dash tower seperate from the motion lever. Is that the newer style?

rickv1957

The older style has a park pawl on the rigt side of trans,similar to the smaller tractors while the later style has a brake drum mounted on drive motor with a band,Rick

Dresden Guy

Stevbo,

I'm a newbie but I searched the Master List of Tractors and their transmissions and your 1973 Auto 18 takes a Sundstrand 90-1137. This is the exact tranny used on the following: 1974 D-160,180,200; 1975 D-180,200; 1976 D-160-180-200; 1977 D-160, 200. I know you know all this but just maybe others will see that they have a part(s) to help the cause.

There is a guy who has two Sundstrand hydros on Ebay right now. He has parted out a D-160 and has them all for sale. The hydros are: Item(s) #200430349071, and #350307781627. He also has a Hydraulic Transaxle Motor: #350307351947. I just searched "Wheel Horse D-160" and found the stuff. Don't know if any of these may help or not. He's in Marlette, MI.

Wow, what a beautiful piece of WH machinery....everyone should help you find parts just to get it running for a "YouTube" debut.

I had a long discussion about the "D series" trannies and some of his experiences. If you would like his name let me know in a PM.He has been a WH dealer for 40 years I think he said. He is big in to WH pulling in the last few years. He know WH!!

Later,

Dresden Guy

stevebo

Dresen,

I assume you are talking about Joe's Outdoor. I ended up getting my rear out of a d160 (1976) from him. I think I will be in good shape once I get so long as I can remove the hubs from my mine. Thanks and welcome.