HorseFixer

WOW! Looks Good Denny...... I can tell you dont goof off like me and watch football on Saturdays! :hilarious: Ill hafta ck my casting number and see what it says.

Be glad to get that Clunker snow chucker done So's I can get back on a real tractor. :eusa-whistle: If ya need a nice place to park it when yer done lord knows yer welcome to

bring it over. :ychain:

dclarke

This week I got the tranny put back together with new bearings and seals and replaced a few gears with better ones. I also took the motor generator apart, cleaned it up and reassembled it. The hood is too big to fit in my blast cabinet and I thought the guy that blasted my frame might warp it so I bought this little blaster from Harbor Freight and did it myself. I was surprised at how well it worked. The engine block is the only thing I have left to clean, now I'm just waiting for the painter to call.

009-12.jpg

014-12.jpg

010-12.jpg

015-8.jpg

• Like 1

AMC RULES

OH sooooooo clean...everything looks like it's surgical steel Denny.

Seems Dr. Denny is in. :thumbs:

• Like 1

rmaynard

Looking good Denny. What type of media did you use in the blaster?

dclarke

Looking good Denny. What type of media did you use in the blaster?

Bob, I used glass beads. That's what I use in my cabinet.

rmaynard

Thanks Denny. Getting ready to do some blasting and can't risk warping the hood. I was looking at walnut shell media. Guess I need to do some more research.

dclarke

Bob, I've never used anything but glass, walnut shells may work better... I stripped the paint off the hood with decal/paint stripper before I blasted it and there really wasn't much rust on it so it didn't take much.

MalMac

Boy Denny you make get all kinds of ants in the pants wanting to get going on my 701, just the wrong time of year if you know what I mean.

shorts

corn cob media works good and is less costly than walnut shells, especially if you are blasting sheetmetal outside. I also like the idea of using a chemical stripper first to remove the paint before blasting

HorseFixer

Looks Fantastic Denny. I use Aluminum Oxide in my cabinet I got from Harbor Freight I can usually get two uses out of it. I havent tried a Pot Blaster yet but A I think Aluminum Oxide may be a bit pricey for that. :) Makes me wanna get on mine too! :thumbs:

~Duke

dclarke

Looks Fantastic Denny. I use Aluminum Oxide in my cabinet I got from Harbor Freight I can usually get two uses out of it. I havent tried a Pot Blaster yet but A I think Aluminum Oxide may be a bit pricey for that. :) Makes me wanna get on mine too! :thumbs:

~Duke

Duke, I'll look for something cheaper next time I use that blaster. Too much of it goes away to spend a lot of money on media.

• Like 1

Kelly

I have a HF pressure blaster a lot like that, mine is 15 years old, I use Flint shot in it, it is a sand made for blasting, it is coarse but takes rust off good, I lay a 25'x25' tarp in the drive way and blast in the middle,(don't blast the tarp it will get a hole RIGHT NOW) when done I pick a corner up and run the sand to the middle one corner at a time, then use a kids sand shovel to scoop it up and dump it on a old window screen setting on top of a 5 gal. pail, so I can reuse most of it, after it has been used a few times I set it aside for fine work as it will get worn out, in my blast cabinet I use glass bead.

buckrancher

I just use whatever tsc sells

CasualObserver

I noticed an extra set of numbers cast into some of my unidrive housings. The part numbers for the housings are the same, 3900 and 3901. Anybody know what the other numbers mean?

Denny, those are casting date codes. One half of your case was cast on April 20, 1961 (D20%1) and the other May 18, 1961 (E18%1). Of course at assembly, those parts are all mixed and laying on pallets, so they don't have matching dates.

Ken B

701 looks awesome Denny! I'd love to see it in person some day.

• Like 1

dclarke

I noticed an extra set of numbers cast into some of my unidrive housings. The part numbers for the housings are the same, 3900 and 3901. Anybody know what the other numbers mean?

Denny, those are casting date codes. One half of your case was cast on April 20, 1961 (D20%1) and the other May 18, 1961 (E18%1). Of course at assembly, those parts are all mixed and laying on pallets, so they don't have matching dates.

Jason, Thanks for the info...... I have another question, The tranny that came with the tractor has a 1/4" npt fill hole and no date codes (it looked to be original to the tractor) and the one with the date codes, built in 1961 has a 3/8" npt fill hole. Do you or anyone else know which one is correct for this tractor? Just curious.

• Like 1

CasualObserver

I don't know. Maybe someone else has insight to that one. Could be that they discontinued the date codes at some point. Really wish there were engineering records we could reference for trivial stuff like that.

Sent from my Galaxy S iii with Tapatalk 2

Terry M

Looks good Denny!! can't wait to see it done for power pioneer days next year!! :teasing-poke: And those rims look nice too :bow-blue: . To me powder coating is well worth the money when it comes to painting rims. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

dclarke

I got these decals in the mail from Terry today, he did a lot of work on them to get them "just right". They'll really add a nice finishing touch to my tractor. I shot a closeup of the spec/sn decal and the motor generator decal to show how nice they are..... Thanks Terry!!

028-2.jpg

030.jpg

031-2.jpg

rmaynard

Looks good. I'm still waiting on decals from Terry for mine. Nice to see he can do those Delco labels.

Fun Engineer

Very nice Denny. Terry really does nice work.

MalMac

Denny are you going to try and put the tag decals right over the original tags or just do away with the tags all together and just use the decals.

dclarke

Denny are you going to try and put the tag decals right over the original tags or just do away with the tags all together and just use the decals.

Tim, I have a new tag for the generator that I'll put the decal on and I have bought a small sheet of aluminum to make a new spec/sn tag.

dclarke

I have a question about the piston rings in this k161 I'd like to get some opinions on.... When I built this engine a couple of years ago I had it bored .010 and installed new rings at that time. Now I have completely disassembled the engine so I can clean the block and get it ready to paint. I'm going to blast it to take it down to bare metal. The engine probably don't have 8 or 10 hours on it since I rebuilt it, My question is.... should I deglaze the cylinder and install new rings when I put it back together or can I put the rings back in it that are on the piston now?

rmaynard

I think that 8 hours is essentially still breaking in. I would do nothing.

Sent from my MB520 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1