buckrancher

now i can't seem to keep the mower blades from turning when the idler pulley is disengaged. anybody know what i did wrong this time?

You aren't doing anything wrong, Denny. However, you are witnessing the quirks of the first front-engined "normal" garden tractor produced by Wheel Horse.

Along with the sharp-cornered rear fenders, the fragile plastic dash, and the absence of a parking brake, the belt guide/finger to stop the mower deck drive belt was something that also needed added or improved upon and most of these revisions actually showed up the very next year.

When I did use my 701 with the sickle bar mower, I had no choice but to remove the drive belt when moving to another area and when done cutting. Simple enough, but sometimes a royal pain in the %*@.

These tractors were made to work (hard) and safety features and "creature comforts" weren't in their vocabulary yet. Could you imagine the "field day" the OPEI people would have with one of these tractors? :D

If you are willing to sacrifice "restoration correctness" for "user-friendliness", I suggest adding wire belt guides (bolt to the engine block) and the "finger" on the PTO tensioner pulley arm similar to what is used on the later models.

I find this all very interesting makes me wonder if your belt is to small or

the pulley's are not in line

I drove a 701 for 18 years mowing my father's lawn and hauling a trailer around

and our mower deck never turned when the pto was in the off position

:omg:

TT

Mine didn't run constantly - just intermittently when the belt would grab. I wouldn't have been concerned with a rotary mower, but a sickle bar mower is dangerous enough without it running.

90% of the time, mine threw the belt off when I kicked the PTO off anyway.

Sorry for the :omg:

dclarke

I find this all very interesting makes me wonder if your belt is to small or

the pulley's are not in line

I drove a 701 for 18 years mowing my father's lawn and hauling a trailer around

and our mower deck never turned when the pto was in the off position

:omg:

thanks for the pic tt. brian, i think i have the correct belt, i have replaced the idler pulley but i believe it's the same size as the old one. the pulleys seem to be in line. i did only run this for a minute or two when i noticed this problem and it didn't do it all the time.

buckrancher

Denny

Do your pulley's have paint on the belt contact surface's that would make

the belt grab the other thing I was thinking about was maybe the belt needs some

run time on it to shine up the belt sides and pulley surface's

Brian

rickv1957

Denny,I have them pieces NOS and dont need them if you are interested,Rick

dclarke

brian, the pulleys do have paint on them and the belt is brand new. that could be at least part of the problem. i may have to wait 'til i get it painted to grease the bearings better so i can run it longer. thank you for the info and your willingness to help.

dclarke

rick, p.m. sent

dclarke

rick, please p.m. me with prices on these items. thanks, denny.

dclarke

thanks for the belt guides Rick. i'm sure they'll work great.

rickv1957

Denny,glad to help! :omg: Rick

dclarke

Got some parts back from the plating shop last week, it took four months to get them back but was well worth the wait. The hub caps and a few other parts I had chrome plated, the other parts are polished nickle. The hub caps had several dings and scratches and some were pitted, now they look new. Most of these parts will go on the "701" and the rest are for my "857". 007-1.jpg

• Like 2

sorekiwi

Nice! Post some pic's of the finished article!

buckrancher

WOW denny sure hope I get to see your 701 again someday in person those plated parts will really make her shine

Brian

AMC RULES

How's it going...any updates available yet Denny? :scratchead:

dclarke

How's it going...any updates available yet Denny? :scratchead:

Haven't done anything to it Craig other than yesterday I did get it out of the shed and ran it a little. I don't plan on doing anything to it until I get my 867 done.

kpinnc

I just now stumbled onto this thread. Wow you do some seriously nice fab work!

wheelhorse656

agreed Kpinnc!!! :text-datsphatyo:

dclarke

Does anyone have a decent pic of a spec/sn tag from a k161? I want to see if Terry can make a new decal for mine but I want to make sure the little boxes the numbers are stamped into are the correct size. It's hard to tell looking at my tag. Any ideas on where to buy a new piece of aluminum to use as a backing plate for a new decal? This one measures about .023 thick.

014-3.jpg

AMC RULES

The condition is not much better than your's Denny, but here's my contribution to the cause.

Click on the image to enlarge.

post-3498-0-65481000-1338118248_thumb.jp

dclarke

Thanks Craig, that helps a lot. :thumbs:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

PM sent Denny.

CRE1992

I have a good picture for you. I can get a better one tomorrow. This is a K161 off a cub cadet.

tractor019.jpg

dclarke

Thanks CRE1992, I think I have the info I need from the pics you and Craig have posted. I appreciate it.

neil

Denny , try this guy for the reproduction brass plates , ive seen his work and is is real good quality , not sure what the cost would be to have made but it would be a superb replica for sure

Hope this helps

http://www.vintagebrassplates.co.uk/

dclarke

Thanks Neil.