Lane Ranger

Denny: This mower deck building project is going to be a real interesting one for all of us to watch! Keep those photos coming of all you fabrications.

Great job on your tractor!

:thumbs:

dclarke

it's far from finished but i did get a good start on putting it together today. have to weld it at work as i don't have a welder.

DSC00317.jpg

DSC00318.jpg

• Like 1

MikesRJ

Nice! :thumbs:

stevasaurus

What a talent...very nice. :thumbs:

daemon2525

Ha.... I like this guy.. If you cannot find a nice deck then

just build one!!!

:thumbs:

rickv1957

Very nice work there!!!! :thumbs: Rick

VinsRJ

Very nice work!

What are you using for front tires? Are those trailer tires? They look pretty cool.

dclarke

Very nice work!

What are you using for front tires? Are those trailer tires? They look pretty cool.

vince, they're made by carlisle, they say "u.s.a. trail" on the side. i think they are trailer tires. i got them before i got addicted to this site. now i have these in the cabinet, just haven't got them on yet. DSC00319.jpg

rickv1957

Like them ribs!!,need a few more sets myself,Rick

dclarke

rick, p.m.sent

bitten

Very nice work you got going on there. Will have to follow this one.

dclarke

got the spindle housing and the deck hanger mounted as well as most of the welds ground. spent way too much time measuring and remeasuring before drilling the holes. decided to have the side covers remade from the same material (.102") as the wheel brackets for a more uniform look. will wait on those to finish drilling holes & installing weldnuts.DSC00326.jpgDSC00325-1.jpg

Horse'n Around

Truly great job.I think its great that you have a 701 like your Dads and your getting to restore it,also great work on the deck!

John

dclarke

john, i think you are talking about brian (buckrancher) and the 701 his dad had. you're right though, that has to be a very special feeling. thanks for the comment.

buckrancher

excellent job on the deck

This is a tractor to be proud of :thumbs: :banghead:

Dresden Guy

DClarke,

YOWZA' !!! :thumbs: What a talent and the results show it! How long have you been on your project, and in general how did you take care of the initial rust issue? i.e. - electrolysis tank, EvapoRust, grinder brush, ??? I am getting ready to start my C-160, but when I see your SHOP and your RESTORE JOB, I am bewildered. All you "Pros" on RS have forgotten more than I I'll ever know....Oh well.

Your pictures are awesome and helpful.....maybe we should livestream a webcam as you work for newbies like me, you know, like in the Hospital OR. Keep the pics coming.

When you finish the 701, maybe consider an online RESTORER'S CORRESPONDENCE COURSE.....just a thought.

Dresden Guy (Steve M in OH)

-------------------------------------------

C-160 (61-16K802)

42" SD

42' Snow/Dozer blade

211-5 (32-11BX02)

38" SD

Duff

Not a bad thought, Steve, but in the meantime I've found just by reading the posts here regularly and following along with some of these projects it is almost a tutorial. And with the comments and suggestions that come with each project, it becomes a sort of correspondence course. :banghead:

So you see - we're almost there already! :WRS:

Duff :thumbs:

dclarke

DClarke,

How long have you been on your project, and in general how did you take care of the initial rust issue? i.e. - electrolysis tank, EvapoRust, grinder brush, ??? I am getting ready to start my C-160, but when I see your SHOP and your RESTORE JOB, I am bewildered. All you "Pros" on RS have forgotten more than I I'll ever know....Oh well.

Dresden Guy (Steve M in OH)

-------------------------------------------

C-160 (61-16K802)

42" SD

42' Snow/Dozer blade

211-5 (32-11BX02)

38" SD

steve, i've been working on this off and on (as i have the time and the money) since last spring. i had the frame and the original deck blasted at a shop. everything else i glass beaded in my cabinet. as for the "pros" you have me confused with most of these other guys. i certainly don't fit into that group. duff is right, i have learned sooo much by following some of their projects and if you need help this is the place to be. thanks for the comments, good luck with your tractor.

Suburban 550

Beautiful job on the deck, Denny. :thumbs:

dclarke

just a note of interest (at least to me) about my rebuild. i worked in the shop of my dad's auto parts store for 17 years rebuilding alternators, starters and generators.we used a metal stamp to mark repaired units with model #, date of repair and company name. (i still have the stamp). this moto-gen. was on the 701 when i got it last march. i rebuilt it april 11, 1986. reminded me of my dad and days gone by.

DSC00331.jpg

DSC00333.jpg

• Like 2

HorseFixer

Very Nice Job Denny! :thumbs:

dclarke

thanks duke, all those pictures you and the rest of the guys post have sure been a big help. can't wait to follow your next project.

rustynut

exellent fab work i love how the tractor looks good work B) :party:

dclarke

has anyone used this paint on any projects? i've painted this tractor with spray cans of this paint as i put it together. it's supposed to be old international red. it seems to be a pretty close match, the hood is still original paint as i have not done anything to it yet. when i get everything put together i plan to take it back apart and paint it with a gun. can't decide between restoration series/clear coat, this paint or custom mixed. all opinions or suggestions are most welcome. thanks, denny.DSC00313.jpg

sodbuster

the case enamel lays down quite well,and the shine is very good.durability is excellent! If you decide to go with acrylic urethane be ready to spend cash!! clear coat would be an option if it is a show only tractor.if it is a user stick with the case,for the price difference you will be glad you did.