Sign in to follow this  
Iggy68

K241 won't start

Iggy68

I am at my wits end :thumbs: I can't get this thing to run. I have spark, fuel, and air. I have gotten it to run barely. I had to hold my hand over the choke opening to block off incoming air to get it to fire. I have checked the points and have set them to gap and fire at top dead center. Is there any other timing on this thing that I am not aware of? It is flooding very easy. This engine has not ran for 15 years, new coil, new plug, new wire. The only thing I have not change is the points. Any suggestions? When I did have it running it was blowing black smoke. :banghead: :WRS:

Indy w h

You might start by draining out the old gas then take off the carb

and take it apart and spray some carb cleaner in it. Sounds like it's

just gummed up from sitting so long. Give it a try and report back.

Good luck !!!

Indy

TT

I looked at your pictures and assume that you never opened the engine up, so cam timing shouldn't be an issue.

Did you happen to check the valve clearance while it was apart?

Points should be set at the baseline measurement of .020" when they are fully open. I have never bothered with checking piston position when setting the point gap on a stock engine, and honestly don't think you could without a degree wheel.

Are you still working with the old carb? As Indy said, it might be gummed up from sitting and need a good soaking.

Iggy68

Thanks guys, I put a new carb on it. I just pulled the head off, that was the only thing I took off of the engine. I had put a new gasket on it when I put it together. It was not making sense to me that I could get it fire by cutting all the air of through the carb. As I suspected it was sucking air through the head gasket. I just went and got silcone gasket sealer. I will let you know if this solves the problem. :thumbs:

rickv1957

Silicone is not a very good fix for a head gasket,Rick

Iggy68

I was looking at the wiring diagram for this and it shows a condenser. It did not have a condenser on it when I got it, what does the condenser do and should I get one?

TT

The condenser is basically a capacitor used to store the "surge" of electricity at the breaker point contacts caused when the primary field collapses in the ignition coil.

Long story short.....

It prolongs the life of the points by decreasing the arcing at the contacts, which will burn them away over time - and yes.... your tractor engine needs one.

d180man

Silicone is not a very good fix for a head gasket,Rick

HI i am with rick ! i think i would get a new head gasket and check the head but good luck ! on it ! :thumbs: :banghead:

rickv1957

Condenser attaches to neg side of coil,Rick

tgranthamfd

I'm with them, a good carb cleaning and DO add the condinsor. Recheck head gasket and the head. They will start and idle without a condinsor but cut out, smoke, back fire, and run like crap when on the throttle. Broke a condinsor wire once. :thumbs:

Iggy68

Thanks guys, the points are the only thing I have not replaced. Guess I will go get them and aondenser. I did a more careful exam of the head and found a corner that had the slightest warp. 45 minutes later warp was gone, lots of sanding on a nce flay surface :thumbs: Wish I would have checked better the first time.

buckrancher

When you had the head off did you check and make sure the valve's were both closing completely

also the carb may be plugged from gum deposits in the main venturi tube from sitting so long

and yes you do need a condenser

Iggy68

First thing I want to say tonight is a big :banghead: to a great group of guys here at Red Square. I am simply amazed at the amazing amount of knowledge that is on this site. The knowledge is only as good as the willingness to share it. All of you guys do a fantastic job at that. :WRS: Let's get to the news, I picked up a new set of points and the missing condenser today. I had to go visit a josite and the parts store was on my way, so I stopped and got em. Had to wait 5 hours to come home and put them in :thumbs: Got them in tonight, set the gap, reset the idle screws to factory set on the carb, turned the key on, pushed the start button and the 47 year old kohler that has been sitting for 15 years fired right up. I thought I would be smart before I started and check the spark compared to the other night, big mistake, shocked the living sh!t out of myself. It purrs like a kitten I have to say. I would have probably struggled for a couple more days without the help from you guys. :wwp: once again.

rickv1957

Mark,thats great!, :thumbs: Rick

C-85

What a test, a shocking test that is! :thumbs:

A lot transpired on this subject before I got a chance to look at this. While I was reading this I was heading on blaming the won't start issue on compression and with a slight head wrapage problem that would do it. This should have had at least a 100psi of compression to run. I also was wondering about the spark and timing. I use a wide gap spark plug to test spark, if that gives no spark and won't jump the gap, then there is ignition problems.

Good luck!

C85

bork

Hehehehe Havn't been zapped in a while! Know the feeling well.! Now you should be a wake! I wished I coulda read this earlier also. I did all the same to my K241 , because it sat long also. I cleaned out tank & replaced all fuel lines & fuel pump & cleaned out carb/jets. Starting fluid is great for diagnosing also. If you can get engine to run on it,(start & some idling) usually indicates fuel problem. (just be carefull of its flamability)