Sutty

C-140 8 Speed

Sutty

Hi Guys

I hope it is okay to post a request for help when I have only just joined. I have been seaching Google for several days and I simply cannot work out what I need to buy and from where I should get it.

I am the proud owner of a C-140 8 Speed Wheel Horse. I'm not proud in the same way that a collector might be, as I'm certain many of you are, but proud in as much as to own such a quality piece of kit, for so many years, with such a reliable past track record, it has been a real pleasure to own and use it. I hope it is okay to admit that I am a fan because I have it, and I use it, and not for the sake of preserving it?

I have many attachments, mower deck with blower for rear collector bags, rotorvator, snow plough to name just a few, and I wish to be able to continue to use them all, but right now I have two major issues.

Again I hope it is okay to ask, and I hope am doing it in the right way. If not please let me know.

Both of my issues effectively relate to the engine. The first is that my starter motor has destroyed itself. The magnets inside are smashed, and the armature wiring is damaged. I have tried to find a replacement in the UK, I am based near Manchester, but I am not having much luck. The difficulty is that many parts listed are replacements and supercede originals, and also I am unclear if they would be correct for the specific engine variant. Also having model C-140 8 Speed puzzles me a little, as I can never find it in lists of previous Wheel Horse models.

Here are the engine specs.

Kohler 14 HP "The Cast Iron Line"

Model: K321S

Spec: 60137d

Serial: 7337286

I found what I believe will do, see below, but would appreciate the advice of you veteran enthusiasts.

Starter Motor

My second question relates to the carburettor. After the engine has run for a while, maybe as much as an hour, the mixture goes crazy, and the engine begins to stutter. The only way to keep it running is with the application of just the right amount of choke, and by tweaking the throttle setting until it is just so. This will keep me going, but at this point there is a more serious issue in that there will be petrol leaking from the front of the carburettor.

What are my options for servicing the carburettor? Is there a kit of service parts, and is it readily available, and if not what would I need to order to get an entire replacement carburettor?

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated, and if I need to post pictures then of course I can do. Forgive me if you respond today and I cannot answer, it is very late here and I'm off to bed.

Many thanks in advance.

Best Regards

Sutty

rickv1957

A carb rebiuld kit is about 10.00,simple carb and easy to work on, :thumbs: Rick

Sparky

:WRS:

When I fly to England (not often enough) I land in Manchester. Maybe we've crossed paths :banghead: .

Here in the states there is no C-140 8speed. We have a C-141 8speed made in 1978-79 and the C-145 made in the early 80's.

I tried using the TORO Master Parts Viewer to get a part# for the starter but I cant seem to get a # :thumbs: .

Mike.........

Indy w h

First off :thumbs: your carb can be rebuilt.

Good luck with it !!!

Indy

Irv

:thumbs: Sutty, here in the states we have places that rebuild starters, mainly for cars, but they can also do small one's. I have had them done and it'quite a bit less money than buying a new one. Check with an auto repair garage and they should be able to steer you to where to get it done.

wheelhorsec85

HI AND :banghead: THE STARTER YOU ARE SHOWING IN YOUR PIC IS THE RIGHT STARTER FOR YOUR ENGINE . sorry didnt see the caps button on :thumbs:

Buzz

Hi Sutty :thumbs: , You can look up part numbers for your starter and the carburetor kit from Kohler. Go to: http://www.kohlerplus.com/login.asp

Enter as Guest. Scroll down and click on "K series K91-662". Click on "K321". Go to page 16 of 37 to get to your spec number 60137. Then you can look up the numbers you need. Good luck. Oh yeah, in case you don't have an engine manual, here it is: http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/tp_2379.pdf

rustynut

buz i like your signiture

C-Series14

According to the engine spec, you actually have a 1973 14hp 8-Speed. The VIN would be 1-0340, 1-0430, or 1-0435. That was the year of 'no-name" WH's. The next year was the start of the letter series.

:thumbs:

TT

According to the engine spec, you actually have a 1973 14hp 8-Speed

But the serial number of 7337286 makes it a 1976 engine.

None of our information applies to these "non-North America" tractors. :banghead:

:WRS:, Sutty!

Get us some photos if you can. :thumbs:

420lse

Hi and :banghead: You should be able to find the serial # for your Wheel Horse under the dash board, display it here and these guyes will be able to tell you a lot about your tractor. As for the starter, a rebuilder should get you up and running there. Having to manulate the choke and throttle to get it "just so "may be that you need to re set your points or install a new set. If your finding fuel leaking from the air cleaner area, your fuel pump is working fine but the choke is pulling more fuel than your engine can use and it's running down the front of the motor. ( Im assuming that "front of carb" means air cleaner) If it's leaking from the bowl then it's carb rebuild time. Disclamer: :thumbs: It's hard to figure out the woes on the web.Best of luck!!

Buzz

buz i like your signiture

Thanks, now if I was only smart enough to know the difference.......

Duff

Sutty, first and foremost, :banghead: !

Glad you found us!

There are several members here from England and I'm confident one or more will see your post in due time. Some among them I'm sure will have some ideas both about your issues and how to get replacement parts, if needed, on your side of the "pond."

In the meantime, those of us over here will try to help you out as well. I must admit - I'm not a motor man nor familiar with the C-series machines, so I can't offer much useful information.

Cheers!

Duff :thumbs:

gwgdog66

:banghead: It looks like the other members have answered most of your questions :thumbs: I have a 1975 C-160 8 Speed that mow's 4 acres a week during the summer, and pulls a drag around a horse arena when I'm not mowing. I say use it and take a bunch of pictures :WRS:

JimD

can't offer anything more than the great advice already given, but :thumbs:

C-Series14

According to the engine spec, you actually have a 1973 14hp 8-Speed

But the serial number of 7337286 makes it a 1976 engine.

None of our information applies to these "non-North America" tractors. :WRS:

:wwp:, Sutty!

Get us some photos if you can. :banghead:

Well horse poo... :thumbs:

Sutty

Hey Guys, Thank you so much for the very kind welcome and all the helpful advice. Since so many have replied, if I may, I'll answer generally with regard to what I have gleaned.

The reason I cannot find the C-140 8 SPeed, is that it was never a model in the United States. I can get information on my engine direct from Kohler, and in fact I had already downloaded the manual, however when it came down to the starter, the information seemed to get a little confusing. Thank you for posting the link though. I accept that I can probably have my starter re-built/re-conditioned, somewhere, but to be fair, if I can get it sorted for around

420lse

Check your points before you rebuild the carb :thumbs:

dscott2000

Hey Guys, Thank you so much for the very kind welcome and all the helpful advice. Since so many have replied, if I may, I'll answer generally with regard to what I have gleaned.

The reason I cannot find the C-140 8 SPeed, is that it was never a model in the United States. I can get information on my engine direct from Kohler, and in fact I had already downloaded the manual, however when it came down to the starter, the information seemed to get a little confusing. Thank you for posting the link though. I accept that I can probably have my starter re-built/re-conditioned, somewhere, but to be fair, if I can get it sorted for around

Sutty

Here are my photos folks, and thank you 420, I'll check the points first. First things first though, I need to get her up and running, so I will order the starter, if the consensus is that the one I linked in my OP is correct. It certainly looks the same, apart from the small dust cap over the bendix spring.

There are a few little mods. Basket for bits and bobs, power coupler for electrical trailer mounted devices, car seat, and non original silencer. Other than that I think it is original, unless somethings had already been replaced before I got it.

IMGA0465.jpg

IMGA0459.jpg

IMGA0466.jpg

IMGA0468.jpg

IMGA0470.jpg

IMGA0471.jpg

IMGA0474.jpg

IMGA0475.jpg

IMGA0476.jpg

IMGA0477.jpg

IMGA0480.jpg

IMGA0481.jpg

By the way, I couldn't find any other numbers for the Wheel Horse, VIN etc. Where exactly do I look for those?

Thank you all, again.

Regards

Sutty

Sutty

Oh, okay, sticking float, that seems to make sense to me, though as I said I am not too experienced with engines. Maybe as the engine warms, perhaps some heat is slowly transferred to the carburettor. When it gets warm, perhaps it starts to stick. That could explain why it takes an hour or so to go wrong?

Cheers

Sutty

TT

This is great!!!!

All those times I've heard "Wheel Horse didn't make a C-140" have just been flushed down the crapper! :party:

Sutty,

Look in the area I have circled in your picture for the tag:

IMGA0470.jpg

It should look something like this one:

B-808speed012.jpg

Can I bother you for a close-up picture of the C-140 on the side of the tank tray, please?

Sutty

It would be my pleasure. Just give me a few minutes. I'll also go and look for the tag now that you have shown me the location. Many thanks for that. I too read there was no C-140, with a little disappointment, I have to add, lol.

Regards

Sutty

• Like 1

HorseBreaker

Hi Sutty: I have a starter listed on ebay in the UK if you are interested its on a buy-it-now for

oldandred

I just love it when the picture says what it is

:thumbs: