Sign in to follow this  
cricketd160

turning hydrostatic motor housing over

cricketd160

I recently posted about my d160 controls working in reverse and found out the hydro motor housing when put on upside down causes that. I was just wondering if anyone has taken their housing off and if i will need any new gaskets or anything else to do so? Getting tired of having to move lever opposite direction to go.

defed

not sure exactly what you need to remove, but there are o-rings between the motor and the manifold and a gasket between the motor and the transaxle. anywhere metal meets metal probably has something for sealing. you should also be able to find a parts drawing on MPV.

just think of your D as an industrial model. our backhoe shuttle pulls back to drive forward and push forward to go in reverse.

rickv1957

Will need to study this one,dont know the motor can be even installed upside down,Rick

pfrederi

I looked at my extra (worn out) motor today. Yes there is a gasket part number is 83-3760...sit down before you read the price..$7.32 RPCW to 11.95 Milaca Lawn service (they always are on the high side). It is not a very complex gasket so I suppose you could make your own. I would absolutely NOT use silicone. There is high pressure involved and having stray pieces of silicon running around you system would be a bad thing!!!

The motor housing can be rotated 180 degrees. Only 4 bolts...BUT!!! please download and read the Sundstrand hydro manual..(free from Toro). this is not something to do in the driveway with a crescent wrench!!

I would pull the wheel and try to do it on the tractor. If you want to pull the whole motor unit then you will need another gasket and also the appropriate O-rings for the manifold.

Have to wonder how it got put together wrong...another "Professional" Dealer rebuild like mine was supposed to have had (a pox on the PO)

pfrederi

I played a bit more with my motor. If (big if) you get lucky you may be able to just remove the 4 bolts pull the cover out just a bit and rotate it. By lucky I mean getting the gasket to separate cleanly...if you have my luck then the gasket will shred and you will have to remove the cover completely.

cricketd160

Whoo Hoo!!!!!!!!!! Just took the bolt out and rotated around and retightned and drove it around for about a half an hour and fixed the problem. I let it set overnight and did see a very little spot underneath but hope it was just some fluid i did not wipe off when i had it loose. So much nicer to push forward to go ahead and pull back to go in reverse. Could someone help me alittle here to be able to post some pics of my tractor. Cant seem to figure this out.

Indy w h

I sent you a PM

glad to hear it's going the "right way" know

Indy

Sparky

Thats great news. Lookin forward to the pics. Your gonna have to be re-trained to use it the right way now :thumbs: .

Mike.........

Indy w h

Here is his D160

1263813132.jpg

enjoy his D160

Indy

pfrederi

Whoo Hoo!!!!!!!!!! Just took the bolt out and rotated around and retightned and drove it around for about a half an hour and fixed the problem. I let it set overnight and did see a very little spot underneath but hope it was just some fluid i did not wipe off when i had it loose. So much nicer to push forward to go ahead and pull back to go in reverse. Could someone help me alittle here to be able to post some pics of my tractor. Cant seem to figure this out.

Great news...with your luck you should buy a lottery ticket.

Glad it worked out for you...don't sweat the small drip, keeps the under side from rusting :thumbs: