Sign in to follow this  
stevebo

10hp Kohler Mechanical Question/help

stevebo

Guys,

I have a Case 210 (1975ish) that has a 10hp Kohler on it. The issue that I am having is the fuel is pushing out of the fuel pump onto the motor/exhaust. It is smoking very heavy as well. I have changed the pump twice and it is doing it with both. If I run it at low rpms is does not do it right away but as soon as I rev it up it pisses out very bad. I am not sure if it is coming from exactly where on the pump it is coming out of but my is this...

1- Could this be a stuck value that is forcing pressure back though the pump?

2- Will a stuck valve cuase excessive white smoke while running?

This is a replacment motor that I put on about 2 years ago and have only started it to move the tractor around. For the most part it has been sitting. Last question is how to fix without taking apart?? I assume pour some marvel mystery oil in the cylinder ? Thanks for any help.

rmaynard

I am not an expert, but I can't believe that it would have anything to do with the valves. The pump is simply a device that delivers fuel to the bowl of the carb. The only connection to the engine is the arm that rides the cam. The gasket between the engine and the pump only keeps oil from coming out of the engine. If gas is blowing out, it has to be either a small hole in the casting of the pump, a bad gasket between the two halves, a bad connection at the output side where the hose connects, or a bad hose. If two have done the same thing, did you replace the hose, and all fittings?

White smoke is generally confused with steam. If the engine oil has any water in it, and you are burning oil (stuck ring, bad valve guide, etc.) you will see the water vapor exhausted with the smoke, appearing to be white. Since there is no coolant in these engines, the only way water can enter is through the oil.

Bob

rocking 416

you may have the pump not bolted correctly id check gaskets if it has the right bolts. Thay may be to long tricking you into think there tight when there not or maybe is a fuel line hose clamp Fuel leacks can be a tricky thing good luck

Rollerman

Steve where is it leaking...at the base where the pump bolts to the block or around the diaphram area?

The aluminium fuel pumps tend to warp easily from overtightening them.

If it's leaking at the diaphram disassemble the pump & use some fine grit sand paper on a flat surface to true both halves up working them across the sand paper in a figure 8 till you can see the low spots are gone.

Ive had a few pumps that were warped at the mounting lugs to & was able to true up for a better seal but the disassembly is a little more involved.

Use a fresh gasket at the base to if you haven't done so.

More than likely your engine has a stuck/worn rings & or the valve guides are worn creating a pressure problem in the engine.

No way to solve that without a rebuild...or a disassembly to find the worn components.

If the valves are hanging up you'd see backfireing through the carb or oil comeing through the exhauset depending on which valve is hangine open.

It would also run very poorly.

Have you pulled the breather cover off & checked the valve clearences?

Is it smokeing constantly or will it clear up after the engine warms up?

Is the oil clear or have a milky look from condensation?