Sign in to follow this  
dustycarter

How much is this mower worth

dustycarter

Just rebuilt motor in it. Has a Kohler Magnum 12hp. in it. New rings and vavle job.Has less than 10hrs on rebuilt motor. 1400 hours on it before rebuild. oil changed reguarely. Comes with 42" deck. Only thing it needs is a seal in the transmission. Leaks a drop or two evry now and then. Proabably could use a better seatI am wanting a bigger tractor with hydraulics and 3pt. I know I am not going to get that much out of it but I will give a little down, I appreciate it. Thanks

DSCF2791.jpg

DSCF2825.jpg

DSCF2792.jpg

DSCF2796.jpg

rocking 416

Thats a madder of opinion. With my budget now 100-200$ it looks like its been used an has alot of hours. It sad to say you can get more if you part it out. but if the motor dont smoke id say 275$ hope thats nto insult dont intend it to be just given you my opinion :thumbs:

Duff

Dusty, what part of the country are you in? And what year is the tractor? This might make it a little easier to estimate an asking price. The motor rebuild is certainly worth something. The leaking tranny seal is pretty minor and easily fixed. What shape is the deck in? Is all the sheet metal on the tractor straight, and is the tranny otherwise in good shape?

Duff :thumbs:

rocking 416

Oh i dident read the top part. hard to say how good of shape is the deck in any surface rust? i could get tractor like that running no smoke in v.a. 475$ i even seen 16hp one with bagger going for that its hard to say what its worth honestly

rickv1957

200.00 to 400.00 is in the ball park with the hours,Rick

Ken B

If ya throw a new seal and a cheap new seat on it and clean her up you might be able to do fairly well on it. Doing that I wouldn't let it go for any less than 4ish. It does afterall have a fresh rebuild.

hm12460

Dusty, where are you located? i'd be interested in buying it if you're close by to west michigan.

TT

He's in Tennessee.

dustycarter

Hi. thanks for all of the posts. None of you are an insult to me so don't think trhat. i want honest opinions. The deck has maybe 500hours on it. No rust. New bearings,blades. All steel so it is very very heavy. The tranny is other than the seal, a workhorse. It is a '86. I have a repacement seat but I done put it up for the winter so I guess I will do that this spring when i start the garden. It does not smoke at all. It used to be a freight train before I rebuiult it but that's understandable. Thanks for all of your allls honest opinions and your inputs. I really appreciate it!

dustycarter

Oh and what if I repainted evrything? I just use it for haulin and plowing. I am not going to paint it unless I decide to sell it though. Maybe an extra $50 or so?

Horse Fanatic

I wouldn't paint it, the paint isn't that bad. I think most people would rather have it with decent original paint. It would be worth more if repainted only if you did a really nice job, and a really nice job is going to take some time and money, probably not worth it.

jtmoyer

if you sell it you will only wish you had it back later

dustycarter

if you sell it you will only wish you had it back later

I know but I am really needing something with a 3 point. And I NEED hyfdraulics. I love this little thing to death. It has alot of power for it's little size. Also I am wanting something with a little tiller. I never can find one in Tennessee.

Ken B

I agree with Horse Fanatic, the paint looks good enough too leave alone.

dustycarter

The reason I said to rewpaint it is because you know the foot rest maybe put some primer and then those grips. And just touch up. I really7 don't think I could do a total restor.

whfan74

I wouldn't repaint it but would probably change the seat. Heck a new set of foot rest pads could help with the overall look. Get that seal changed and you are all set to send it to a new home.

I would agree........somewhere in the 200-400 range. Newer rebuild will definitely help on resale.

Good luck with your decision!

dustycarter

I wouldn't repaint it but would probably change the seat. Heck a new set of foot rest pads could help with the overall look. Get that seal changed and you are all set to send it to a new home.

I would agree........somewhere in the 200-400 range. Newer rebuild will definitely help on resale.

Good luck with your decision!

Thank you. I appreciate it. I don't know where to get them pads though. Just go to any parts store?

Save Old Iron

There is a real simple formula to calculate the worth of any wheel horse tractor, attachment, or accessory

$$$ you are willing to sell / sacrifice it for

------------------------------------------------------------- = 1.00 +/- a few bucks

$$$ the potential buyer is willing to pay / do for it

simple division math - it has never failed me yet because it leaves both parties happy -

Save Old Iron

I wouldn't repaint it but would probably change the seat. Heck a new set of foot rest pads could help with the overall look.

A quality seat and original pads will probably add close to $100.

If you cheap out - you will make the savvy buyer wonder if you cheaped out with the engine repair too !!

Your $200 tractor is now one that you cannot sell for less then $300 and your not even sure if the guy who buys it won't want a better seat and start stripping the paint off the tractor to restore it !!! First things he removes are the last things you put on and never had a chance to enjoy yourself - :thumbs: - just doesn't make sense to me.

Personally, I would take the tractor at $250 - dicker with $350 and walk away at $400 +.

d180man

Hi it is not that bad ! i would just put a seat on it ! and i would say 200-400 good luck on it ! :thumbs: :banghead:

dustycarter

Yeah. I believe that I will go to TSC and find one of thoses arm rest tractor seats and just rig something to keep it on. I don't think I'm going to sell it. I really like this old thing. She's a worker. Thanks evrybody for the helpful information. And hey D180 man. Not talked to you inn a while :thumbs:

Duff

I don't think I'm going to sell it. I really like this old thing. She's a worker.

And another one stays "in the family!

Duff :thumbs: :banghead:

Ken B

When ever I go to look at a tractor I always look past the shiny new paint and expensive new seat if someone put one on there. I've found in some instances where people will do this to try too polish a turd and make something appear better than it really is. If the motor was recently rebuilt I'd be looking at the oil, the air filter, checking to see if things are loose etc. If anything is loose on the outside there might be things loose on the inside. Is the wiring all hacked and things of the like. Does it run smooth and quiet with no smoke or leaks. Its easy too spot quality if you know what to look for...

If everything checked out thus far then I would start asking questions, if the owner rebuilt the motor himself its pretty easy to tell by his answers if he knew what he was doing. If someone else rebuilt it, does he have receipts etc. I've looked at tractors that looked terrible and they turned out to have an excellent motor on it. Keep it mind, not all buyers or sellers are collectors and not everyone out there cares how much the seat cost or if its a high quality seat, so long as its new and not ripped will satisfy most people out there. My point is you can't go by appearance alone when looking to make a possible purchase. I'm glad you decided too keep it by the way and have fun with it.

dustycarter

My point is you can't go by appearance alone when looking to make a possible purchase. I'm glad you decided too keep it by the way and have fun with it.

Alright. I believe i have got enough people syaing that it's not the apperance, it's the tractor itself :thumbs: Truthfully, I never would have though about all that wiring stuff. I don't reakon it's ever been messed with. I took the strater cabl and a few other wires off when it was rebuilt. I beleiev I will check all that stuff this spring when I start her up. And I believe I just want that fancy seat because I ususally spend and hour or 2 at a time on it so it just helps too have one. I am not going to repaint thanks too you guys. you all saved me from a bunch of work. And Ken B thanks for the 'checklist' I guesss you could call it. :banghead: That is some stuff I will check. Maybe the seat can wait as I am on a tight budget. Don't know about you all but I sure am. Thanks to all of you guys who have helped me with this and for saving my back. I am just goin g to keep it and work her until there ain't no work in her. :WRS: