Sign in to follow this  
HorseFixer

Snow Blower Chute Modification

HorseFixer

Well I have been reading and researching this Clarence Snow Blower Modification Kit thing and all the Videos On You Tube that I have watched really don't show a before and after, so I decided to do my own and then do some tests and then do a before and after video and see if there is a significant difference. :banghead:

Please Watch The Video and then vote and tell me what you think! :thumbs:

Dukes Snow Blower Chute Modification Video

Rollerman

Duke looks like an improvement to me...but that could be your editing skills too. :thumbs:

I don't think your neighbor lads is all that impressed though.

Just wait till you are able to spin that blower up with a twin cylinder Onan or Kohler.

clintonnut

Holy Sh** Duke it throws snow 10ft farther at least! Maybe I'll get one for my tractor...

Charlie

bitten

Duke

I hate to say, but we didnt get to see apples to apples. It looks like it blows damn good though.

Curmudgeon

As long as the balance isn't thrown off, I don't see how it could do anything but help. It appears to go farther, but there are many variables. Just put that snowblower on a 20 horse engine, and it would go even farther.

It does have me thinking about mine though. Just picked up a used one, and I don't think it's quite up to the caliber of my old one. The paddle clearance could be the issue, even though it's a single stage.

jtmoyer

when doing the drive the blower is not full top to bottom, but under the mod it is full. still looks like it did better though. might have to ty it on mine.

KC9KAS

I don't have, nor have I used a snow blower, and here is my question.

When operating, does the snow pack in the chute between the augar flighting and the chute wall?

The modification would sure keep the snow from packing.

rocking 416

Monster garage! pretty good idea there duke!!! :thumbs:

scifi4all

I have to agree that it isn't quite apples to apples. It can't do anything but move all of the snow that the auger is sending back to the fan, so I would have to believe that it is a physically an improvement. :thumbs:

Sparky

Seems to be tossin the snow farther but the distance is probably affected by the amount your feeding into the blower. In the clip with the paddle thingys on you look to be stuffing more into it but its hard to tell.

I do have to ask this tho. In the clip without the paddle thingys on it seems to be getting the job done just fine so why the need for the mod?

Mike.........

rmaynard

I would have liked to see the action from the same perspective each time. It's hard to tell just how much difference there is when in the before video, you were coming directly towards the camera. In the after video, you were going across the camera view.

Bob

Indy w h

Duke, That sure impressed the he** out of me and I don't even own

a blower!!! But if ihad one I'd just cover the neighbors house with snow

Indy

Rideawaysenior

I would guess that it does help, more blade tip velocity. I did see on your tube where someone took a three blade impeller and turned it into a six blade impeller. It was a tractor mounted blower I believe too. He did a before and after shot and what a difference. The extra three blades gave that enough oomph to pretty much keep the snow from piling up in front of the machine that is typical when you move at a steady clip. If I can find the link, I'll post it.

Irv

Looks real good Duke. What I don't get is that most compaints I've seen are with the 2 stage blowers. My 42" single stage on my 314-8 blows it close to if not as far as yours, at least with the regular snow and we had about 2 feet of it this past week. I haven't had occasion to use it in the real heavy stuff yet.

catman81056

From the different angle it looked like it really helped, Rmaynard is right though, both from the same spot would have more fair. But Thirdrock is right also, closing the gap could only help.

The blower's working good, need a few more horses under the hood of that tractor though. That would only make the blower better.

Rideawaysenior

Duke,

Just want to own up to the tag, I voted that I can pee a better snow stream only to be the class clown. While I can do pretty good on my own, I'm certainly out classed by your chucker. :thumbs::banghead:

Jack

Suburban 550

Lookin' good Duke. :banghead: Definetely a big improvement. :thumbs:

rickv1957

Looks good there Duke!! :thumbs: Rick

HorseFixer

Duke,

Just want to own up to the tag, I voted that I can pee a better snow stream only to be the class clown.

DoctorHfuhruhurr

I had to vote "I Can Pee A Better Stream Of Snow!" because I'm a World Renowned distance urination champion and had no choice (always with the wind, NEVER against). Aside from that I did see an improvement. :thumbs:

HankB

As far as the chute being full That all depends on how fast I am traveling because the blower will only expel so much snow anyways and I can tell that by the sound of the load on the engine. I tried to keep the load the same, I can tell when the engine is squatting. I think whoever came up with this, their theory is sound and it does work. In my work I work on allot of boiler pumps and impellers and If an pump impeller had 3/4" clearance it would more than likely have allot of cavitation? :thumbs:

It makes sense that closing that gap would cause it to blow further. There will be less air that gets behind the impeller. However, if you are doing a better job of moving air and snow, you will also increase power requirements. Further, if the rubber rubs the housing, that adds drag which will further increase power requirements. If you are power limited, the net result will be that you can throw the snow further but have to go slower to allow the engine to keep up. Have you noticed that with your trials?

You will not get cavitation blowing snow. That's something that happens pumping relatively incompressible fluids like water where changes in pressure at the blade tips are sufficient to cause it to form bubbles. When the bubbles collapse the associated turbulence is enough to cause excess erosion on the propeller/impeller blade.

ol550

Duke, It's too late now, but a full fan will always blow further if the power doesn't hold it back. Looks like the chute was not as crowded on the first test as was in the second. I bet my new blower would blow half that far if I had all the parts. :thumbs: Mike

WH854

Hope mine will blow snow that far when I get it done. Good job :thumbs:

Chas :banghead:

Curmudgeon

The answer is SIMPLE!!!

How well a particular modification works is directly proportional to how much of a chunk it took out of your paycheck.

The bigger the chunk, the better it DANG WELL (in other words, WILL) work!

Positive thinking my man, positive thinking. No matter how badly I botch a modification, it's still better than before, because I IMPROVED IT! :thumbs:

stevasaurus

Just wondering, Duke,.......I just had a vision of that tractor being able to launch water balloons at the Charlotte show as a promotional gimmic...got to stand in the field and catch them. FUNDRAISER...what do you think Kelly? :banghead:

where visions become truth. :thumbs: