GizmoB73

Can we really "shift-on-the-go"

953 nut

Seems you missed a comma. The brochure said transmission, synchronized differential and super power reduction gears. It didn't say the transmission was synchronized. Feel free to shift on the fly, Wheelhorse Parts and More has the parts you will need to rebuild it.

• Like 3

Racinbob

:text-yeahthat:X 100 

Interesting old thread resurrected.

Back in the 60's there was a blurb in the owners manual about only depressing the clutch/brake pedal part way when shifting while in motion. That is probably the major reason for so many chewed up 3523 gears and input shaft/gears in the older Unidrives. Heck, I remember back when my age was in the single digits shifting my dads Suburban 400 and 704, both bought new, like he shifted the car. I can still hear the grinding. I know at least one of those tractors, if not both, were traded in due to the infamous popping out of 3rd gear syndrome. I can only imagine what those transmissions looked like inside. There's absolutely zero reason to shift 'on the fly' and doing so will only result in a damaged transmission. :no:

• Like 3

WHX??
16 hours ago, 123GO said:

"If you can't find'em grind'em"

Boy does that statement bring back high school hot (rat?) rod days....right up there with "hey buddy... grind me a pound"  :lol:

• Like 4

123GO
On 8/7/2017 at 7:46 AM, WHX12 said:

Boy does that statement bring back high school hot (rat?) rod days....right up there with "hey buddy... grind me a pound"  :lol:

Whooops! Now I told my age on the net, my privacy will never be the same..lol

You are correct 953nut there is a comma there, I see it now...

fwiw:

Being from a trucker family one learns all about shifting with/without a clutch, for me I was around 10 yrs old, it was an old Mack we pulled out of a cow field and restored. Should have left it there too..Was a true POS!!  

When someone just forcibly grinds the gears together a gear's teeth is in fact being sheared down & "damaged" per say. It's why they call it "grindin gears" to begin with. This said' I have certainly heard & seen many people over time grindin and never findin 'em to the point I must cringe and look away...lol 

I know just what it will do, my friend owned the best trans shop in our area for many yrs before he passed and I'd stop in to shoot the sh!^ whenever I was near him. He showed me several customers art work a time or two...lol  

My bro's Dodge Dakota' an "auto" trans even was one, it blew in St. Louis coming in from Kansas and he still drove it 300 miles here.  We were absolutely stunned when he opened that one up, I remember him saying "It looks like a bomb went off inside the damn case, it shouldn't have ever went a mile, then said "how far did you drive it from?" Then we told him it pulled my 69 Super Bee those 300 miles to boot...lol   Lots of hard parts replaced in that one, just wishing I had a wet noodle on me, you know' just to see if that really is true?

But' ya' if someone didn't know any better and forces it or just can't shift a tranny without grinding em' surely some expensive tranny parts will be on their Christmas list and there's no doubt about that.....

But' for yrs I've changed my Uni-Drive fluid every other season since owning a wheel horse and have never seen a tiny, minute speck of metal in my drain pans magnet so I know mines doin alright...:P

Edited by 123GO
  • Like 2

WHX??
8 hours ago, 123GO said:

showed me several customers art work

See @Racinbob... I told you those 3523's were artwork and should be hanging on the wall!

Good post 123 ... thanks for sharing :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1