Sign in to follow this  
herbinohio

How to Buy a Wheel Horse ?

herbinohio

So yesterday i came across a Wheel Horse for sale. The ad only stated it was a 500 series with hydrostat. It also stated that it was good condition but engine had problems, possibly one cylinder down. I called the # and a short while later recieved a call back from the owner. I explained that i was very interested and that it was a done deal as far as i was concerned at the advertised price of $250.00. I did tell him that i would like to see the tractor just to be sure that everything was in line. So today before our agreed time to meet the owner calls me and tells me that he had several other calls and that someone had mentioned to him that the tractor was worth much more and that there is a collectors club (redsquare) in which this caller is a member of and that if he sold the tractor for $250.00 he was being ripped off. After looking at the tractor today(520-H) i explained to the owner that, yes the tractor is worth more than the asking price, however that was the advertised price and we had agreed on that price. However, he now wants $750.00 for the tractor. Not only am i very upset that the seller is not a man of his word, but that i've possibly been ousted by a member of this forum. Any thoughts ???

Ken B

I can understand your disapointment BUT the seller obviously didn't know what his tractor was worth. You also admit you told him, as did someone from the square its worth more, but you want him to stick to the 250.00? How does the seller know you weren't just looking too flip the tractor on Ebay for profit at his loss? I'm not saying that you would do that by any means but I think you might have too chalk this one up as a tough break. Times are tough and he's gotta put food on his table also. I know nothing of this deal but these are my thoughts and you asked for them.

Sparky

Unfortunately untill money changes hands nothing is a done deal nowadays. You cant blame the seller for lookin to the internet and all its resourses to find out the value of something he wants to sell although he should have done that first in my opinion.

And for what its worth I dont think a used 520 with only one good cylinder is worth $750 either.

Mike............

rmaynard

IMO, if the seller advertised it for $250.00, and you came ready to buy with $250.00, he should have sold it for that. The seller had ample time to research the asking price before advertising it. However, until money changes hands, there is no contract, only an implied one.

I don't think that you were "ousted" by a member of RedSquare. I'm sure whoever it was had no idea that a sale was pending at the $250 price. He was just being honest with the seller and letting him know that he was short changing himself at $250.00.

Just write it off as a bad experience and move on.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Bob

sorekiwi

I can understand your frustration with the price changing on you, that would p!ss me off too.

Without seeing at least pictures of the tractor its hard to say for sure, but assuming the rest of the tractor is "ok", $250 for a 520 is a great deal. But $750 definately isnt. I paid about half of that for mine, with one dead cylinder.

VinsRJ

Classic, every Wheel Horse is worth big bucks. Not quite the case.

KB9LOR

I saw that same one for sale on CL, I was going to call about it, but something told me to pass it up, glad I did, I would have been pissed if I drove any distance to buy something and the person then upped the ante, I would have given him the unofficial state bird of Indiana! Boooooo... :thumbs:

KB9LOR

but you want him to stick to the 250.00?

Don't agree with that at all, It is called "Taking a man for his word", same as a handshake! If a mans word is no good, well he is lower than ........well you know.

rockbuilt

2 cents worth

I can see both sides as wrong and right. If I was the buyer I would be upset that the man didn't keep his word. but I wouldn't be upset at the member as we don't know the content of their conversation. however if he outbid the other buyer:angry:

I can further say that I have done a lot of price shopping and have noticed a lot of people asking a lot more than their tractor is worth. so when someone finds a good deal he is not cheating the seller he is getting a good deal and we should be happy for him. :thumbs:

Ken B

Don't agree with that at all, It is called "Taking a man for his word", same as a handshake! If a mans word is no good, well he is lower than ........well you know.

Obviously there are two sides to every coin. The seller made a mistake and should have done his homework first. If the seller called me back and told me he can't sell it for the 250 I wouldn't have gone too his house and told him, yes its worth more than 250, but we had a deal. If I really wanted it I would have shot him another offer and if he didn't accept I would have walked, but thats just me and you don't have too agree with me. Lifes too short too get all hung up on things. :thumbs:

TT

It's not the first time this has happened:

Similar topic from two years ago

and it won't be the last.

pbradley68

It wasn't me but I often offer more than the asking price if an item on Craigslist is under priced (and let them know it's under priced) because there is usually a ton people calling about a cheap item and I'm rarely the first to make contact. It's also useful in acquiring items away from the "resellers" on Craigslist that monitor it all day for cheap stuff and then relist it the next day for twice the price. A lot of time you can still get a decent price just for being honest up front and both parties are happy. It's only money and I make more every day.

JimD

seems odd the person who was so concerned that the seller wasn't getting the full value of the tractor didn't buy it themselves, or maybe they did, either way, not too cool of the owner to back out on the deal after you traveled to get it. but, as stated, nothing you can do but wonder about the motive of the "informer". :thumbs:

KB9LOR

Obviously there are two sides to every coin. The seller made a mistake and should have done his homework first. If the seller called me back and told me he can't sell it for the 250 I wouldn't have gone too his house and told him, yes its worth more than 250, but we had a deal. If I really wanted it I would have shot him another offer and if he didn't accept I would have walked, but thats just me and you don't have too agree with me. Lifes too short too get all hung up on things. :WRS:

I am not going to beat a dead horse, :thumbs: But I wouldn't give 500.00 for a dead cylinder 520, anyways, that is what is great about this country, we are allowed disagreements, done tactfully that is! :banghead:

bitten

From what I have heard about the Onan's it could cost a lot of money to fix, it might be a blissing in disguise.

jpmcleod

I bet who ever bought it won't be posting it on this site.

herbinohio

I would like to add that I was not upset at the member of RS. It was just upsetting that a person affiliated with such a great resource cost me a good deal. I thought for $250.00 it could be a great deal if the motor had to be worked on, as long as the rest of the tractor was good. I was raised by my parents that when i give a person my word, i stick to my word. 2 years ago i sold a 1996 tahoe that apparently i had under priced. I had 10 calls in the first few hours. The first guy who contacted me i gave first offer at the original price. I didn't tell him that i had second thoughts and now the price was going up !!! Just doesn't seem right to me ? I had no intentions of ripping anyone off. I just saw a good deal & tried to buy it. I was being honest when i told him that it was worth more than $250.00 after seeing it. I'll definitely chalk it up as a "lesson learned". Thanks for all the feedback.

rickv1957

There will be another come along!,Rick

Craig Arndt

Bought my son his first tractor a couple weeks ago, a 520H. 799 hours and everything works for $675. One with a bad cylinder isn't worth $500 for sure so he did you favor. Know your frustration, can't excuse people for being that way, it's their upbringing. :thumbs: