Sign in to follow this  
Shuboxlover

Is This A Good Idea.....or AM I JUST CRAZY!!

Shuboxlover

Before you answer that question, hear me out. The first time I used my snowblower, the battery blew up.....did it freeze :WRS: or was it something else :thumbs: sooooooooo.....I rigged this up to keep the engine compartment "warm" I wouldn't do this if it was 20 degrees out....heck I wouldn't even do it if it was 10 degrees out....but it's not, it's much much worse....4 below right now with a wind chill of 33 below. So I am just a little skittish about blowing when its this cold. That is my reasoning.

Now....is this just idiotic, will it make the engine to warm, I wouldn't think so since I mow with this thing when it's 100 (literally) degrees out.

don't hold back.....give it to me :banghead:

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-3-1262922949.jpg

christopherX

yes, i do on my vehicle to cover the radiator when it gets that cold. i would just think it wise to keep the cardboard off of the exhaust.

chris

whfan74

You are just missing decals..........then you would be all set! :thumbs:

Rollerman

I've heard of carbs/fuel systems freezing up while snowblowing, but I think your bad experience with the battery was unusual.

You may consider insulateing the battery istelf?

stevasaurus

You know...you should be alright. Question...how old was that battery? Looks like the tractor is not sitting outside?...the cardboard is not going to hurt anything as long as it doesn't catch on fire. I think...let the engine warm up good...have the right oil in it, and you should be OK. A bad battery is a bad battery...it doesn't have to be below zero to do damage...my 2 cents. :thumbs:

a picture is worth a thousad words...thanks for the picture...helps alot in getting a response. :banghead:

Shuboxlover

COME ON whfan74....

YOU DON"T SEE THOSE DECAL errrrr....SHARPIE "decals" ON THE SIDE OF THE HOOD!!!! :thumbs:

ya gotta admit, it kinda looks like a D-Series :banghead: :WRS:

captjake

It has to be a bad battery. Was is maintenance free? Does you garage hold an above freezing temp during the night? Did you ever try to add water to the battery? Batteries most of the time blow up when they leak hydrogen, or if they are over charged. When the engine is running use a multimeter to check the voltage of the battery. It should be only a couple volts higher that when the engine is not running.

I keep my batteries on a float charger. It keeps them charged, but doesn't over charge them.

Any batteries that are not going to be used until spring, keep them fully charged in your basement. That's what my Grandpa always told me. Makes them last the longest.

Good luck.

JimD

i don't think it will hurt anything, but i would have used a Shubox... :banghead::thumbs: i can't believe nobody said that already :WRS:

Save Old Iron

Try searching the internet for "silicone heater pad"

Several companies offer heating elements embedded in silicone membranes - in all different sizes

A low wattage pad under your battery and may be a low wattage strip around the fuel bowl of the carb ( or maybe the throat area?)

How about a low temp glowplug like setup in the carb air cleaner area to preheat the air into the carb ?

you have some pretty unique challenges in your neck of the woods

i have to wonder about your choice of covering the engine but not your a$$ with a cab enclosure in -33 wind chills.

I have been in -40 chills not dressed appropriately and it scares the bejezers out of you when you legs start getting so stiff you can't walk back to the house.

Take care man - that's dangerous weather. :thumbs:

as far as giving it to you ....

at least paint the darn cardboard silver and use red duct tape !!

how's that ?

VinsRJ

33 below..... now there's some fun. You're a stronger man than I.

rickv1957

Wow,that is cold,yes battery is the problem,Rick

Operator

I see nothing wrong with it either. Up here in my neck of the woods we wear hats with flaps too, I was thinking of making a heat houser for mine too out of the same material as our cabs.

Frozen batts. will explode if you hook up jumpers, was yours froze? Or it blew up after it was running? A little vapor will make them go too all it needs is an igniter, switch, spark of some sort.

Randy

rmaynard

Just like Christmas, you give the kid a brand new toy and what does he do, he plays with the box. :thumbs:

Bob

rickv1957

Just noticed them decals,Great :thumbs: ,Rick

lotus1967

Great idea. Maybe a little more "refining".

1) ducts to direct heated air to the pedal area

2) Heated steering wheel

At -33 you need all the help you can get.

What weight gear oil do you run in those conditions?

Dw Andy

There's an idea, I never seen a heat houser on a garden tractor! That won't solv the batt. problem tho. Dead batteries freeze.

Dw Andy

:thumbs:

bork

Just like Christmas, you give the kid a brand new toy and what does he do, he plays with the box. :wwp:

Bob

:thumbs::banghead: :WRS:

jusjeepn

I guess I can't see how this solves a bad battery problem! :thumbs:

rockbuilt

any good rancher puts blankets on their horses in very cold weather :thumbs:

PetesPonies

when a battery is low on charge the acid solution can freeze. When the charge is good, it is much more difficult o freeze. So the moral is . . make sure the battery is charged well. A battery tender will help.

kajamo240

When I finally got my wheel horse running again, I played around in the snow with if for about an hour and it was about -10. No problems.

It was probably just a bad battery and water had gotten into it and it just froze.