Sign in to follow this  
kj4kicks

Parts tractor lands shiny side UP !

kj4kicks

Hi guys, Got a delivery from Tickster again today (MANY Thanks!) so I got to spend the afternoon & evening in the stable.

Here's the nearly-running version:

P3075452.JPG

P3075451.JPG

and the deck that will be living under it:

P3075455.JPG

Remember the "before" pic?

P1014961.JPG

Tomorrow it will get some oil in the trans, and it's time for a test drive ! Maybe it'll stop raining long enough for some outdoor pics with it's sister, the '76.

nylyon

:thumbs: I'm speechless.

Rollerman

Looks good Eldon, will you have it at the show?

Greg B.

Sweet ride, Eldon. Nice looking deck, too.

Greg B.

kpinnc

Aside from the obvious quality of your work Eldon, I am amazed at the speed of it! :thumbs:

I think most anyone can slap a coat of paint on an old tractor in no time at all, but your level of work is tedious, and SLOW. You did this in short order, and it's hard for me to believe it. You obviously have skills!

Awesome job! :thumbs:

Kevin

TT

You must have gotten a better package delivered to you than the two I received in the last two days, Eldon! :thumbs:

(I got a decent rear fender pan for a '65 to '67 and a gas tank and engine pulley from a C-121)

It doesn't matter what tractor I put those parts on -- it wouldn't look that GREAT! :thumbs: :D

kj4kicks

Thanks guys, the hydro rear is from Tickster. That was the package that came today.

I think this one is already sold, but I'll find out in a few days when the guy sees it. He's a friend of mine, so I'm sure I can talk him into borrowing it in June.

All the little things add up, but the deck was the most expensive single item to fix up. It got new spindle housings, new wheels & axles, new gator blades, belts, pulleys, and stainless mounting hardware. There's almost $400 into the deck total.

Please don't take this the wrong way, and maybe I am :imstupid: but I have about $1700 total into this project. Sounds like a lot, and it is, but what else are you going to buy nowadays for that much ? There's no reason this old girl won't still be around in another 25-30 years. Best of all, it was spared from going to the glue factory!

pond195520032003

:D Eldon, nice work :P:D it dosent seem like the same tractor :thumbs: you do good work, and its definitly something to be proud of :thumbs::P thats a :P tractor :D

Stigian

:thumbs: Thats a hell of a paint job and rebuild Eldon, top work Sir :thumbs:

T-Mo

:P :P:D:thumbs::D:thumbs::P

I don't think there's enough smilies to cover that masterpiece. Awesome job, Eldon.

nylyon

I think that $1700 is quite a sum but when put into the perspective that it will now last another 30 to 40 years, it isn't all that bad at all. That's exactly the reason I bought a new Wheel Horse back in 94. Sure it cost $5100, but that was 14 years ago, and I am fully expecting another 14 years of service and some. My 416 has cost me all of a throttle cable and front tires outside of the regular oil and filter changes.

Eldon, the work done on that C-160 is probably better than Wheel Horse did to begin with. From the looks of it, the paint is better, use of stainess fasteners and overall attention to detail made this restoration a resto-enhancement. Not only does it look great, but the custom element of quality put into the machine will make this one even better then when it rolled off the line to begin with.

Your friend will be very fortunate to buy such a quality machine, regardless of the price, and I hope that he appreciates the workmanship and decides to ride it with pride in June! (Under the RedSquare flag of course)

kj4kicks

Thanks for the comp's and comments guys !

I got to drive it around some today. Put 4/10's on the new hour meter. I think the govenor is set a bit high, but I'll check into that later. Tickster sent me a strong hydro. Even with the mower deck on it, it will lift the front tires (just a little).

Here she is:

P3075460.JPG

and with her sister:

P3075461.JPG

nylyon

Those pictures make me want to drive on over, jump on one and drive it around. Beautiful C-160 pair. The C-160's remain my favorite of all of them, and I miss the family's old 74. Those sure bring back the happy memories!

wesley

Great very well done, thats looks great, you should be very proud a fine job .

wes

Sparky

Awsome job Eldon! It looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor :thumbs: .

Now I dont want to know how much you actually sold it for but is it a money maker? Just curious because most people wouldnt pay that kind of money($1700) for a used 30 year old tractor when you can get one at any department store for that kinda money. Tractor guys like us know about value, but the average consumer does not. You musta sold it to a tractor guy who was able to see past it being 30+ years old.

Mike.......

kj4kicks

No problem Mike. The friend that is buying it owns a cardboard box company/factory. He sells me all the shipping boxes for my business at just over cost. He also happens to be the neighbor of me best friend (the one who just bought the low hour 520-H). So let's just say that I'm returning the favor by selling him this one at "just over cost". He is a fellow "Buy American" person, and understands about how well things used to be built. For the same money, he could buy a 5 year disposable, but he's tired of doing that!

It was a fun project, and doing two of them at a time made it a bit easier. Hopefully I can pocket some coin on the '76. It will be up for sale soon.

Now, time to roll that 416-H over for some paint & fresh TD decals ....

nylyon

Guess I won't have the best looking 416-H anymore... :thumbs:

kj4kicks

Sure you will Karl.... your's is all original. That's top dog in any contest !

wh79d160

Eldon, Looks AWESOME!notworthy: I'm sure your goal wasn't to do it for nothin , but to do it right and you certainly did that. You can't put a price on craftmanship & art. These are a good example of both. Great job!!! :thumbs: And you saved it from the scrap yard. Tom in Kansas.

69DEZ

:P :thumbs::thumbs::D SWEET!!!

T-Mo

Eldon,

Just amazing work, an amazing looking pair of C-160s. Just amazing, really striking beauties. :thumbs:

Kelly

Very nice Eldon, That is with the TSC paint correct? I think the price is not bad for a tractor that has been gone over like you did. If anyone has priced parts they should know that.

Tip for you, the foot rest, I have went to a home store and bought stair tread ant-slip pads and cut them down, one will do a tractor a little shorter using just one but works nice.

Agian looks nice, Makes me want to get off the computor and go work on my tractors. Kelly

combatmp29r

Eldon they are works of Art :thumbs::thumbs: I'm very impressed with the Valspar from what I see in the pics. May have to do one of the verts with it this year.

kj4kicks

Thanks guys. Yes, it is Valspar Resto Series (with hardener), using an HVLP gun. Sprayed the deck yesterday afternoon, and was able to assemble it today.

Good tip Kelly, I'll check into that.

Had a little set-back tonight. Checking over everything before I take it on it's trip. The lift cylinder is leaking at the shaft. Bad news is, this is one of the welded together models. Why couldn't it be like the '76, and have the snap ring? So tomorrow I'll check with my hydraulics buddy to see what we can do. I may be in the market for one of the rebuildable ones if anybody has a spare.

bowtieguy

Eldon, NICE work....but remember, if I go to the big show in PA again I will fly which means I won't have WH to drive in the parade....and a couple months ago you said I might be able to drive one of your WH's.....now, I would be all smiles if I did get to drive one of your horses, but could you bring one "not so good lookin"?

An ole faded red Horse is still good enuf for me....lol :thumbs: