Sign in to follow this  
DMK855

The RJ Resto Project

DMK855

I bought this little RJ when I was 14 and shortly there after bought my first car. Needless to say I pushed it to the side. It has been moved a few times, covering thousands of miles. After 4 years or so of my now 7 year old son begging me to get it together I finally brought it home from my parents house in Pa. and got it in the garage.

I am slowly aquiring parts and want to get it completely mocked up before we tear it apart and start the resto. I have a fuel tank and belt guard located for it and should be on their way tomorrow. I bought a K91 for it, but don't think that it is the right generation??

I am sure I will have a ton of questions and am open to any and all advice or tips!! I will post pics as I make progress.

2i7wnzt.jpg

2nv3xqp.jpg

11ahcmb.jpg

9pur15.jpg

MikesRJ

:thumbs:

Looks like it's in great shape too. Do you have the original engine?

This may help you out if you've not seen it already: http://www.brandywineits.com/modules.php?n...o=show_doc&id=7

You may want to check here for parts. He's got a lot of RJ parts right now: http://www.davestractorworldonline.com

Good luck with the restore and keep the pictures coming.

:banghead:

VinsRJ

Nice looking little RJ.

As Mike has already stated Dave's is a good source for parts. I also have some RJ parts.

Looking over your machine the only thing that may be hard to locate is the gas tank, unless you already have that. I also have a K91 from a 1960 Suburban, not totally correct for a RJ but pretty darn close. I also have a correct seat pan.

Good luck, Vince

stevebo

That is a very straight and clean RJ. The hood looks perfect which is the biggest issue to get straight. I think it will be a fairly easy restore. I would suggest having everything sandblasted except the motor and rear end. It makes your life much easier and a cleaner job. Here are a few pics of mine prior to sand blasting and final pic when done. It is my 2 year old's ....

1-2.jpg

cover-2.jpg

If you have questions, feel free to ask. Out of all my tractors I am partial to the 58 opps I mean my son's 58 :thumbs:

Wheelbearing

Man......that angle iron frame goes back so far!!

rickv1957

Looks like a great project!,Rick

Suburban 550

Looks like a nice one to restore. :thumbs:

VinsRJ

1-2.jpg

Steve.... your first pic brings back memories! :thumbs:

can whlvr

that will be a geat father son hobbie

DMK855

Thanks everyone.

We ventured out to find our local Tractor Supply today after little man was done school. I picked up a couple of pulleys for the motor, but still need to know what dia. pulley it should have?? I bought a 2" and a 2 1/2".I got the motor bolted to the tractor and measured for a belt with the 2 1/2" pulley. I am still waiting on the tank and belt guard. I will post pics when I get a little more done. I want to have a complete assembled tractor before I tear it down to redo it. Kinda backwards I know, but would rather make any mods or adjustments before everything is painted!!

I did have some issues with the pull start (K91). The fiber washers are shot and the cup has some wear. I made some temp fiber washers for it out of some gasket material and have it to where it will work. I am trying to locate a cup and washers for it. If anyone has any places to find those parts I would be very thankful!!

whfan74

Check with charliesd250........we bought some fiber washers from him and they work great!

HorseFixer

Looks like a solid machine! :thumbs: Should be a good one to restore!

DMK855

Slowly making progress. I have the tractor all torn down and am in the middle of rebuilding the trans. I found a lot of damage on the gears and bearings. I am sure the trans being full of mud and water didn't help any!!

Little man is a little bored with it at this stage, but I am sure he will be right back into it when it all starts going together. I managed to get my freebie glass bead cabinet up and working and managed to get started on cleaning up some parts.

Thought I would post some pics of the gears in the trans. and the handful of pieces I started on priming/painting. I am hoping that the parts will come out a little better once they get a second or third coat of paint on them. Not happy with the way the first coat went on!!!! BTW, I am using the Valspar Resto. spray cans for now.........

Trans. Diff. Gears

2u8wkki.jpg

Brake Shafts.

opsj2r.jpg

Small Parts.

20u4saa.jpg

Small Parts.

2r4h7pw.jpg

Tractor.

dep7ap.jpg

rickv1957

Looks like your making a great start! :thumbs: Rick

rwilson

I have a bull gear that looks just like that one on the right. been trying to find another one!

DMK855

I have a bull gear that looks just like that one on the right. been trying to find another one!

I was able to find the brake shaft, diff gears, and cluster gears on ebay. Lot better shape than mine!! I will feel alot better with those in the trans!!

DMK855

Slowly making some progress. Playing the waiting game on some parts. I have the gaskets and bearings for the trans. Still waiting on the bonze bushings. Need to find a place to order the Toro axle seals and shift boot. I have a correct belt guard on its way to me on Monday hopefully.

Here are a few more pics of misc. parts I prepped and painted while I am waiting on parts.

nysgzm.jpg

14xcxgp.jpg

n3p8ur.jpg

bfrskx.jpg

rickv1957

That new paint always looks great! :thumbs: Rick

DMK855

Pics of bearings installed and trans. temporarily bolted together for hitch pin measurement. Making a new stainless pin and thinking about making a little different style hitch for it!! Still undecided on the stainless button head bolts for the trans.?!?!

uq43a.jpg

1zflwk8.jpg

141tvo7.jpg

2v28h0n.jpg

MikesRJ

Coming along nicely. Keep the pictures coming. :thumbs:

tgranthamfd

Looks like something from the past, huh Mike? Looks good DMK. Mike and myself, along with many others have been there. Keep the pictures comming. :thumbs:

tgranthamfd

On the tranny, that is.

MikesRJ

Been there, done that!

bitten

Looking like you are doing it right. Keep up the good work.

WH_4741

Need to find a place to order the Toro axle seals and shift boot.

When I rebuilt my 5003 a few weeks ago, I found SKF 9815's on eBay for the axle seals and SKF 7627's for the Input and Brake Shaft seals. The shift boot is still available at your local Toro dealer. The Part Number is 3577 and will cost about $6.