Wheelbearing

1991 520-H

rickv1957

I would think semi-gloss would be correct for the black items,Rick

Raider12

Looking at your project rally makes me want to get started on mine own 520. Looks like your doing a fantastic job. Won't be long and the green grass will be showing and you will be cruising!

:thumbs:

stevebo

It is looking awesome !! I used valspar "low gloss" black on my 314-8 I just did and think it is a good choice.

Wheelbearing

Made up some new shafts this weekend.

IMG_3772.jpg

rickv1957

Very nice work your doing!,Rick

Horse Fanatic

Nice workmanship!

Wheelbearing

Well got some progress. Some of it is just there for fitting then off to the platers.

But here it is.

IMG_3773.jpg

IMG_3774.jpg

IMG_3775.jpg

Horse Fanatic

You've been thirsty again! :thumbs:

tractor looks great!

rickv1957

Looking mighty fine!,them projects can make a guy thirsty :thumbs: Rick

chris11

Wow thats looking Great. I see your a real Craftsman. :thumbs::banghead::WRS: :wwp:

Wheelbearing

Wow thats looking Great. I see your a real Craftsman. :thumbs::banghead::WRS::wwp:

Thank you very much!!!!!!

MikesRJ

Keep the pictures coming: :thumbs:

whfan74

Love those pics and you are definitely making that think look good! :thumbs: Have been enjoying watching your progress! Let the liquid inspiration continue to flow! :banghead:

Wheelbearing

I'm having a fun time working on the horse. I get home and say na I'm not going to work on it tonight and then american Idiot comes on and I'm like I'm going in the garage Woman this show is making me dumber.

The hydraulic bracket/steering holder is pretty messed up with rot.

IMG_3778.jpg

IMG_3776.jpg

So I took it all apart blasted but it has a lot of pitting, but its not seen.

So I blasted it and this is the best I could get out of it.

IMG_3783.jpg

I did get the side hood supports painted (still wet here)

IMG_3782.jpg

And I'm still blasting and collecting things to go to the platters for Zinc with yellow chromate. I hopefully planning on droping it off Monday. It only takes a few days.

IMG_3784.jpg

Here is some of the tank support the other two pieces are done but the tube holder is drying now.

IMG_3785.jpg

• Like 1

stevebo

Rob,

It is looking good. While you have the hydro control valve off you should replace all the o rings on the hoses. take is from me it is a pita to change when on the tractor. Keep up the nice work !

Wheelbearing

Rob,

It is looking good. While you have the hydro control valve off you should replace all the o rings on the hoses. take is from me it is a pita to change when on the tractor. Keep up the nice work !

Do use toro o-rings or some after market. Like match it at the hardware store?

Thnaks for the advice!!!

stevebo

I just matched mine up at the auto parts store and has been fine so far.

chris11

Good Thinking stevebo. He is doing a great job. i like that he can make the part if its worn out. Let the wife watch the show. you will have more fun working on the tractor. :thumbs:

Wheelbearing

Got the rims and tires seperated from a friend of a friend. He mashed the rims a little not happy :wwp: . I told him if he could take them off easily I could do it another way. What are you gonna do. Turns out most of the tires had tire slim in them. I'm going to have to wire wheel them before sandblasting. Does anyone know of a touchless way of taking the tires off? I've been in racing a bit and I think I can get it done at my Hoosier dealer in Manchester,Ct. I've done lots of soft rim changes with him instead of the bull retard changes with a bar. I don't want to take all the time and blast these rims paint them nice and have a tard screw up my work with a bar. :thumbs::banghead: On the other hand do most use tubes with their new rubber or go with out?????? :lol: I intead on speading some big coin on tires, I dont' want to have flats..... :WRS:

Here are the pics of the rims. Few bottles of fun too.

IMG_3787.jpg

Heres just a teaser I put some of the upper hood stand together temp. to see how it looks before i get the hardware yellow zinc chromated.

IMG_3786.jpg

MikesRJ

I suggest you blast and prime the rims, put the first coat of paint on them, remount the rubber, then mask and paint the rims a final time.

Wheelbearing

I suggest you blast and prime the rims, put the first coat of paint on them, remount the rubber, then mask and paint the rims a final time.

Its looking more and more like thats what I'm going to have to do...at least with those small front tires.

This is what I'm thinking of for new rubber. Carlisle Turf masters.

trf_mstr.jpg

MikesRJ

Awesome looking tires!

When I paint rims I mask with news paper and then stick a short length of hard rubber garden hose between the rim and paper to separate the bead from the rim. This allows you to paint the entire bead area inside and out with the second coat of paint. Let them dry for two days, then flip them over, re-mask, and paint the other side. After two days more of drying time, fill the tires.

I highly suggest putting brand new, high quality tubes in the rims. It'll save you a lot of headaches down the road.

Confused99

Its looking more and more like thats what I'm going to have to do...at least with those small front tires.

This is what I'm thinking of for new rubber. Carlisle Turf masters.

trf_mstr.jpg

I put the Carlisle Multi Trac C/S on the front of my 520 and am happy with them. I havn't used them in the summer yet though. I do plan on putting the same on the rear this spring.

Jason

nylyon

It looks like it's coming along great. I really like the Turf Trac R/S on my 416. They ride very nicely and don't seem to harm the grass too much.

TT

There's a ton of ways to do the wheel painting/tire mounting routine.

You can mount tires to painted wheels without destroying the finish. It's done on automobiles every day.

If you don't have access to a modern tire machine, use rubber-coated tire mounting spoons (or wrap electrical tape around plain ones) and/or slit a piece of small diameter (like 1/2") vinyl tubing along it's length (only on one side) and push it down over the lip of the wheel.

Lay the wheel "outside" (the side you'll see the most when mounted on the equipment) down on a piece of carpet and install the tire from the inside (back side) of the wheel first when possible. Some drop-center wheels won't allow this.

Use liquid soap (like dish detergent) thinned with a little water (or use regular tire mounting soap) and don't be afraid to use a bunch. You should never use grease or oil because it can actually "rot" the rubber and don't ever try to dry-mount a tire unless you have no other choice.

As far as inner tubes go...... save them for dry-cracked tires or floating down the river. :thumbs:

You can plug a tubeless tire without even removing it from the tractor. You can't do that with inner tubes.

Have you thought about having the wheels powder coated? :banghead: