Sign in to follow this  
jdwheelhorse

What tranny fluid?

jdwheelhorse

I just bought a 1969? (not sure what model) wheel horse and its leaking fluid from the transmission, what weight oil should I use to refill it with?

Rideawaysenior

Depends if it is a hydro or manual transmission. Manual will use 80/90 gear oil and if it is an automatic, you may need either 10w-30 or Dexron automatic transmission fluid. If you have an automatic, post the model number of your machine, we will be able to tell you from there what you need.

Jack

chazm

Hello & :WRS:

Yes will need more info on your tractor in order to :thumbs:

:banghead:

dscott2000

It all depends on whether it is a hydro or manual. Manual, use 50/70 gear lube. Hydro, I have used brake fluid in my Murray. (Im sure I did wrong on that but, at the time.. It worked for me.) Anyhow, I hope this info works for you.

KeithB

for pulling in our 8 speeds we use ATF, because we don't run um long enough to warm up the heavy stuff :thumbs:

rickv1957

I use 85-140 in the manual trans,Rick

jdwheelhorse

I have the 4 speed manual trans.

Should I replace the oil before I use it to push snow?

rickv1957

If oil shows any signs of water I would change it,if clean you will be fine,Rick

jusjeepn

I use 80/90 for manual trans, I change every 2 years or 200 hours, 2 yrs is easier to keep track of! :thumbs:

Michael Bullington

i use 80/90

rmaynard

Been using 80/90 in my 8-speed.

Bob

jla1257

Here are the lubrication guidelines from the Toro Wheel Horse Lubrication Guide for all 1969 tractors if you can identify yours.

Attached Image

post-74-1263217346.jpg

jdwheelhorse

how would i go about checking the transmission oil before I change it? Im going to change it regardless because I fear that it has water in it. But where do I check it at?? Is the bottom bolt the drain plug or the fill plug?

pfrederi

If you have gear oil in it and the fluid looks like chocolate milk it has water in it. Drain it into a pan and let it sit for while you'll find the water if you had some....

jdwheelhorse

ok, now how would i go about draining it. just the plug at the bottom? I guess my question is, is there a seperate filling plug and a seperate draining plug? and where are they located

pfrederi

Drain plug is on the bottom to the left of center line. It takes and allen wrench to open it. Can be covered with crud adn a bit hard to see. Scrap around with a putty knife or screw driver you'll find it...

jdwheelhorse

ok well im draining out of the fill plug i guess but that shouldnt hurt, it looks a shade lighter than peanut butter so im assuming it has water in it?

where is the cheapest place to get gear oil?

pfrederi

You need to open the drain plug to get all the oil/water mix drained out...unless you are standing the tractor on its side.... :thumbs:

jdwheelhorse

makes sense!

thanks!

pfrederi

To do a really good job you might want to get some diesel fuel or kerosene and refill teh transmission with that. Drive it around for just a few minutes and then drain it again...that will help get out water contaminated oil that is sticking to the inside of the tranny, then refill with gear oil.

Stress Test Pullin

i have 80/90 in one of the pullers and ATF in the other :thumbs: but hey it works

jdwheelhorse

To do a really good job you might want to get some diesel fuel or kerosene and refill teh transmission with that. Drive it around for just a few minutes and then drain it again...that will help get out water contaminated oil that is sticking to the inside of the tranny, then refill with gear oil.

will gasoline work too?

Thats all i got without driving 10 miles to get kerosine

nylyon

will gasoline work too?

Thats all i got without driving 10 miles to get kerosine

I would HIGHLY recommend AGAINST putting gasoline in the trans and driving around. Once it starts to churn up, there'll be a lot of fumes. All it would take is one spark (grinding gears or something) and BOOM!

Don1977

I would not drive it with gasoline in it. Diesel fuel would be better.

jdwheelhorse

ok. thanks. dont want tractor go boom :thumbs: