Sign in to follow this  
jsottile

Help me with this buying decision?

jsottile

I was looking at buying a bagger for my 1997 520H (bagger model 79301). The dealer wants $899 for the bagger and no dealer is willing to knock any money off. I found a 2005 Classic 315 WheelHorse for sale that has the 79301 bagger. The tractor has 400 hours and is in very good condition. The bagger is also in good condition. I can get both for $2,000. So, should I buy a new bagger for $950 with tax or buy the tractor/bagger for $2,000?

What do you guys think the 2005 tractor is worth?

I don't know that I would need the 318 since I have the 520Hydro.

jusjeepn

Need it or not is never a question around here! Do you want it? Are you truly an addict of just a casual user/collector? :thumbs: You'll appreciate having 2!

zieg72

I would by the package deal. You will find the 315 would be handy to keep around or resell it. Chances are you can get more for the 315 to offset the price of the bagger.

Docwheelhorse

I would buy the 315 and take off the bagger or just leave it set up and run it.... I had one and it ran real nice. Wish I had kept it... :thumbs:

whfan74

If I had the money I would buy the package deal. If I could swing it I would keep them both. If I needed some money back and I loved my 520 I would pull the bagger for that one and just sell the 315. If money isn't an issue keep them both. Having more than one makes life just a little easier. Good luck!

rickv1957

I would do the same,buy the package you will be hooked!!,Rick

jtmoyer

i bought a 312 just for the bagger. then sold the 312.

Irv

Unless you're in a hurry for the bagger, you can watch ebay. I've seen them now and then and price was reasonable. Of course it is nice to have a backup tractor.

truckin88

buy the package, sell the 520, if it is clean you can get a nice amount of $$$....the kohler will last way longer than the onan.

stevebo

imo I think it is a lot of cash for that machine. I am not saying it is not worth it however it is winter and you have time to look around for one. I think $1500 is a good sale price for the 315 but you will have to wait until spring. Good luck-

bitten

All depends on your situation. Can you use two tractors, have enough room, able to afford it? Mowing the grass the only thing you do or do you use it for other things like garden work and so on. It is nice for me to have more then one because of all the things I work them with. Keep the mower on and use the other one for cultivating the garden. It is also nice to have a back up mower, maybe if you are in a hurry you can get the wife to get on one and help.

Good Luck.

jsottile

Thanks for the advice.

I can afford to have both and I have over 3 acres of yard to maintain. I also use my 520 to plow so I could use both. I guess now my question would be to determine if the asking price is fair for the tractor and bagger. If I just wanted to get the bagger it is close to $1K new. So lets say the bagger is worth $500 to $600 since it is used. That means I would be getting the tractor for $1,400 to $1,500. Is the tractor alone (with 400 hours) worth that money?

Also, how would the 315 plow?

Finally, it would be nice to have another one for the collection as I already have a strong running B-115 with a 38'' deck that I use for cleanup mowing.

zieg72

The 315 would push a plow just fine. You won't regret having 2 machines that can swap the duties.

whfan74

One common theme that I have learned from others on this site is that patience for the right deal is the most important part of collecting these machines either for work or show.

You may be able to find two very nice tractors for that price and like it has been mentioned before..........baggers to come available from time to time on E-Bay.

Good luck!

420lse

Seems like you'd be getting a lot more for the money if you got the 315.Not to mention what a nice addition to the stable it will make. Go for it. :thumbs:

Moe

can whlvr

buy the 315 and keep both,u wont be sorry,when one is down u have a back up

pbradley68

Thanks for the advice.

I can afford to have both and I have over 3 acres of yard to maintain. I also use my 520 to plow so I could use both. I guess now my question would be to determine if the asking price is fair for the tractor and bagger. If I just wanted to get the bagger it is close to $1K new. So lets say the bagger is worth $500 to $600 since it is used. That means I would be getting the tractor for $1,400 to $1,500. Is the tractor alone (with 400 hours) worth that money?

Also, how would the 315 plow?

Finally, it would be nice to have another one for the collection as I already have a strong running B-115 with a 38'' deck that I use for cleanup mowing.

If you're bagging 3 acres you may want to consider a tow behind vacuum bagger by a 3rd party. They come in various sizes and store a lot more clippings than the bagger and have a dedicated engine for the vacuum. For 3 acres I think you'll be dumping clippings a LOT (in my opinion). Ex. cyclone rake, craftsman, DR, Agri-Fab, etc. Some come with hose attachments for in between bushes and hard to reach places. They show up on Craigslist all the time in the spring/summer.