Sign in to follow this  
cricketd160

D160 hydro prob

cricketd160

I just aquired a d160 in really good shape, the only issue i am having is that it does great in reverse but in forward it is slow and on the hydro shift arm where it should be in nuetral it still creeps forward. would really enjoy some help here to get it going. Really like the tractor and it has 48" deck and 54" snow blade.

rickv1957

Maybe just a simple adjustment and/or has some lingage wear,Rick

Sparky

Is the tow valve closed completely? Fluid up to the proper level? Has it been changed lately with a new filter?

Mike.....

cricketd160

Valve is closed all the way. I am not 100 percent sure if fluid has been changed recently but the guy said it was. He recently had put a different rear end in it and said he put all new seals and anything else he saw it needed. He told me it had a adjustment to stop the creep and send more power to forward. I am not sure where it is. Forward is strong and fast and also raises deck up and down great just creeps forward and goes really slow forward.

pfrederi

You should go to the Toro web site and purchase and owners manual for you machine..just enter th model number to find it. Also you can download for free the Sundstrand Hydro Manual. It explains how to make the neutral adjustment and the friction adjustments

Sparky

I am not 100 percent sure if fluid has been changed recently but the guy said it was.

Take a look at the filter. Does it look new or is it all crappy lookin like its been on since Jimmy Carter was in office. Maybe the fluid was swapped but not the filter :thumbs: . And tell us what brand the filter is as not all filters that fit are right for the application.

Mike........

cricketd160

looked at the filter and looked pretty good and fluid was full. I was also wondering on the hydro lever i have to push forward to go in reverse and opp to go forward. In videos i noticed other big D's doing opposite. Is mine hooked up wrong or what. Thanx

HankB

Does the D160 have something in the linkage to keep it from accidentally going into reverse? My previous (Charger V8) had a lever that just went back and forth. On my 314-H with the lever on the steering column, I have to push down to move the lever to the reverse position. If the D160 has such a lockout mechanism, I would check it to make sure it is not stuck or (since the PO replaced the transaxle) improperly assembled.

TT

on the hydro lever i have to push forward to go in reverse and opp to go forward. In videos i noticed other big D's doing opposite. Is mine hooked up wrong or what.

I don't go near the D's but it sounds like maybe the arm on the pump could be on upside-down. (If that is possible? :thumbs: )

I do know that you should push forward on the DCL to go forward and pull it back for reverse.

Ian928

Our D200 is slow in reverse, I think it is made to be like this, probably for safety reasons. This means the linkage is probably ok, because you get full speed when you push the lever forward, and half speed when you pull back. Maybe the lines from the pump to the motor was swapped?

Rideawaysenior

There is no way to mix up the lines on that machine, it's a manifold made of steel. On the right rear of your tractor, there is a hydraulic dampener. I am wondering if the settings are not right. The other thing I'm thinking is it may be a releif valve. There is a PRV on the forward side that can need adjustment at times. There is a shim set that you will need to purchase in order to do this. The shimms look like small circles about the diameter of a pencil eraser and the kit has various sizes. I am wondering if you may need to shim out the valve. If you have a service manual, you can referance the valve. If not, PM me and I'll scan the pages you need and email them to you.

TT

Jack......

Did you notice he said he has to pull back on the DCL to make the tractor move forward? :thumbs:

Can the linkage be backwards or the arm on the pump be 180 degrees from where it should be?

Or.....

It almost sounds like the pump is turning backwards! What about the swash plate assembly..... can it be installed in the pump wrong? :banghead:

refracman

Freind of mine has a early D and the hyrdo control linkage is a strange setup to say the least. He has had problems with not staying adjusted. Its either weak forward next time weak reverse, or creeps.

Get yourself the manual and make sure everything is tight and adjusted correctly. Sounds to me it just needs the linkage squard away.

Its tuff to get at and might take awhile to get it right.

Rideawaysenior

The plate sits on the contour of the pump housing. It could be the linkage too. The D's use a cam plate that has a similar look as the ones used on lets use my 520 for example. The linkage between the cam plate the motion lever could also have something to do with it. The D's used two types of transmission control lever setups. One uses a simple forward and reverse rocking motion and the other has the transmission parking pawl built on so when you pull it back, it engages the transmission brake. I wonder if maybe when they reconnected the levers if they might not have done it backwards not enabling enough throw for the forward motion. The pin that also holds the motion lever will wear causing a lot of play and that could also not allow for enough forward throw to engage the pump enough. Unfortunatly with hydros as many here know, there are many possabilities. After thinking more, start with your linkage and lets go from there. I've got the tranny manuals and will be more then happy to scan the pages needed for the owner.

cricketd160

Yes i would greatly appreciate copy of the needed diagrams. Really wanna get this going. I will also try to post pics of it tomorrow and maybe that can help also. Thanx very much guys. My e-mail is billyray_26@yahoo.com.

bitten

Cricket

Get the SERVICE MANUAL part # 810063R1 from Toro. Was a free download at one time. Also the parts breakdown will help you and can be printed right off of the Toro web sit.

The owners manual that I have ( # 810233R1) has some info but not like the service manual that is listed above.

Just to be sure your filter can be got at NAPA. WIX # 51410 and Napa# 1410.

You should push to go forward and pull to go back. There are acceleration valves to limit acceleration to a safe rate. To pull it back would mean that you are useing the revers valve witch is slower then the forward valve. that is why I think once you get the linkage correct it will be fine.

Good Luck.

P.J.

cricketd160

Cant get it to take my model number. The plate on the tractor has T 0650 9. and serial # 1011818. could someone help. greatly appreciated.

TT

It would be 1-0650 (entered exactly as I have it posted here) :thumbs:

cricketd160

thanx TT, helped a ton, i guess the reason it is opposite is that the hydro motor cover was put on upside down. It specifically shows in the manual that it will run in reverse if put on upside down. Has anyone took the motor off before and if it is a hard thing to do.

d180man

looked at the filter and looked pretty good and fluid was full. I was also wondering on the hydro lever i have to push forward to go in reverse and opp to go forward. In videos i noticed other big D's doing opposite. Is mine hooked up wrong or what. Thanx

Hi some thing is not right you push to go forward and pull to go back :thumbs: so check your linkage!! good luck with it ! :banghead:

72morph

I took all my linkage apart and brazed up all the slop in the cam and tighted all the trunions for no slop.It would do whatever it wanted ,now is controlable.Took a lot lot of patience.

73-18 automatic

Cool glad you got it working B)