Sign in to follow this  
Greg Parnell

Gear whine in unidrive

Greg Parnell

Let me start by saying I only have one operating older 753 Wheelhorse with a 3 speed unidrive transmission and I've never heard another same type wheel horse operate so I don't have an idea if this is normal or not, so I thought I would just ask. Call it limited experience.

Ever since I've had the 753 the transmission seems to "whine" or the gears make noise when in 2nd and it's louder in third going fast. Like the low gear "granny" transmission whine you hear in some tractors and trucks.

Is this normal or a problem that I need to fix?

Happy New Year,

Greg

hotrodmerc

I believe you have an issue. I don't recall any whine from my 552 with the same unit.

Have you checked the fluid level?

wheelhorsec85

try adding heavier gear oil and see what happens .

JimD

well, she is 47 years old, and at that age i started whining some myself, ya oughta hear me now! :thumbs: if it shifts well and the gear oil is up, it should be fine, mine did it even after tearing it down for a rebuild.

rickv1957

A couple of my old trannys make a little noise,dont seem to bother anything,Rick

MikesRJ

You probably just have some wear between the Brake Shaft gear and Cluster gear. I would suggest the following (short of a complete tear-down):

- Drain the transmission and refill with kerosene.

- Run around for about a quarter to half an hour to disperse the kerosene and clean it internally, then drain the kerosene. Take a good look at what comes out with the drainage. That is a good indicator of the physical internal condition.

- Do steps 1 & 2 at least twice to get all the crap out of the transmission (until the Kerosene comes out fairly clean).

- Refill the transmission with SAE 90 or 85-140 gear oil.

A good copy of the tranny manual is here: http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/...1958_-_1982.pdf You tranny starts on page 15.

Greg Parnell

I checked the fluid and it is OK. I already have heavier oil in it and it shifts fine. I'll try cleaning it out with kerosene later to see if that helps and keep going.

Thanks,

Greg

sorekiwi

These transmissions have straight cut gears, and these are inheritantly more noisy than helical cut gears used in modern cars.

They also get noisier as the gears and bearings wear.

If it's just a little noisy, but still shifts OK and doesnt jump out of any gears, I would just flush it like the others have suggested, refill it with nice thick oil, and use it for another 47 years! :thumbs:

Coadster32

If it aint broke, don't fix it!! :thumbs:

chazm

I'm with Coadster on this one

My Raider 10 wines too- seems to come & go with load & I'm running 50w trans lube

I found when it starts to wine -

I just smile :WRS: and give it some cheese with its wine :thumbs:

Sorry ,just had to say it

:banghead:

Greg Parnell

Thanks everyone, I'll leave it as is and keep on. Heck, I'm almost as old as the 753 and I whine and make a little noise myself sometimes. :thumbs:

Don1977

I have noticed a little whine in my 1977 C-120. You can't hear it with the mower base

running. Years ago our neighbor had an old 88 Oliver you could hear it whine 3/4 of a mile away but it ran for another 30 years.

sorekiwi

My Raider 10 wines too- seems to come & go with load & I'm running 50w trans lube

I'd run heavier oil than 50 wt.

I use 90-140 wt in mine. Thats what the guy who designed it called for, and I figure that after 40 or 50 years they need all the help they can get...

Modern cars have gone to the lighter gear oils to help out the syncromesh mechanism's, and to minimise gear drag (and mpg losses). That stuff doesnt apply to our tractors.

I work on pre 1930 English vintage cars, and we use 600 wt in the gearboxes and rear ends on them!

chazm

I hear ya Mike - but after 25 years as a truck mechanic ,I've used 50w in sub-freezen cold - ain't going to hurt it - will change back in the spring :thumbs:

:banghead:

Coadster32

The wine should be just fine...with a little cheese! :thumbs: