Sign in to follow this  
krsuperdad

fluid

krsuperdad

I have a model 1076 Wheel Horse. the book says to use type A transmission fluid only.

here in town I checked at Blanchester auto parts, auto zone, advanced auto and the local toro dealer. no one has a typa A or a subsitute not even the toro dealer.

anybody know what replaced it that will work in it ?

thanks Randy

tophatbufflo

Use Dextron not type F

rickv1957

Dextron took place of type F,Rick

linen beige

More specifically it's DEXRON II (no "T" in the name). That has in turn been replaced with Dexron III. The newest Dexron VI (six) will also work. Toro now recommends Dexron.

But if you are sold on type A it is still available from some farm equipment suppliers.

TT

I'll back that up, Jim. DEXRON II/III in the Sundstrands originally requiring type A.

Type F is still type F and hasn't been replaced by anything - especially a GM spec fluid. There is a type FA out there, but it's basically the same as type F. (Ford Automatic)

If you put DEXRON in a Ford transmission requiring type F it will slip and not shift correctly.

Mercon was the next generation of FoMoCo transmission fluid but did not take the place of type F. It is more similar to the DEXRON fluid and may also work in the Sundstrand units, but I have never tried it. Someday I would like to try UTF though.

tophatbufflo

Thanks Terry for correcting me I was hoping you would show up with the answer :thumbs:

TT

Thanks Terry for correcting me

:banghead: It wasn't me......... and you were right in the first place. :thumbs: