Sign in to follow this  
420lse

Real Time Help Off Tpoic

420lse

I have a small Honda generator and I need to know what top dead center on the compression stroke is. It's a single cyl and I would like to get it right the first time regarding the timing marks.I know this is the right place to ask cuz if anyone knows, u guys do. Apologise ahead time for the off topic but it is a motor :thumbs: , Thanks!

Moe

porkchop

Top dead center is when the piston is at it,s upper most position in the cylinder. Use a dial indicator to get it exact when it,s up as far as it can go.

420lse

Are both valves closed at that point? Is that the the compression stroke?

420lse

Ranting :thumbs:

420lse

He11, now that I think about it 180 deg should put the piston at the bottom.Thanks porhchop for putting some blood in my brain. I haven't been inside a moyor since I was 17. DUH

TT

Actually (when referring to a 4 stroke) "180 degrees out" is referencing the camshaft position.

Remove the spark plug and turn the engine over by hand (or pulling the starter rope slowly -- if there is one) and when you feel the compression (place your finger in the spark plug hole), the next time the marks line up will be TDC on the compression stroke. You might have to do this a couple times to "hit it", but that's one of the easiest ways.

If you turn the crankshaft one more full revolution, you'll be on TDC on the exhaust stroke. (the marks will still line up on the flywheel though)

420lse

Here's how I spent some of new years eve.Thanks to porkchop and TT

zieg72

Thanks for sharing!

WH Raider 10

Nice Job!!

Purs like a kitten :thumbs:

:banghead: Dan B.

Sparky

So is that thing only 650 watts Moe? I gotta ask, what do you power with it? Or is it for charging batteries. Seems kinda small.

Mike......

rickv1957

Thats a compact little unit!Rick

420lse

Yeah, it's really for camping and such. They were built in the mid 80's so these days it's pretty much an antique. However, back when, u could watch TV with an antena,when the power went out u could stoke up the wood stove and chill watching the tube till the power came back on. You can comfortably run 500w @ about 58.5hz and the unit will give you 4.5 hours of service on a half gallon of fuel. Not too bad in a pinch. Edit: You can charge a 12V battery with it. It charges at about 8.3v still not too bad in a pinch :thumbs:

Indy w h

Runs like a top!!!!!!ya can't beat a Honda

Indy