Sign in to follow this  
eastcoastyankee50

the proper way to hook up cables

eastcoastyankee50

well i did something i shouldnt had done i removed my 8 horse kohler from the tractor to some cleaning ;the motor and the frame was really nasty underneath thats part of restoring .anyways i have it back on the frame and thought i hooked the cables up the way they came off total 3 wires in all i unhooked but now after i put them back to where i thought they should be the thing wont start i turn the key and nothing not even the head lights will come on so it sure would nice to have someone here explain if they could or a diagram i hooked the positive side of the battery to the right side of the solinoid and the pos side of the coil and negitive as well thats the only ones i unhooked so why would it turn over if i jump it with a pair of pliers it turns over ;if anyone could help you can send a reply thur my e-mail /i sure would appreciate ;guess i waited to long to hook it back up but due to the cold and ice here /thanks dean

WheelHorse_of_course

If the lights won't come on with the Key in the on position then the problem is with the + lead that goes to the ignition switch (it could be gropund, but in that case jumping the solenoid would not cause the starter to turn.

I understand this is probably not one of the wires you messed wiht, but it could have been loose or got wet.

If you have the manual it will have the wiring diagram.

But you are looking for a wire that goes from the + on the battery, or the battery side of the solenoid, and that goes to the ignition switch.

When you turn the key to start the switch connects this to the small trigger lead of the solenoid and causes it to crank.

Best of luck.

TT

Dean,

It would help to know what model/year tractor you're working on. :thumbs:

I think I remember you having a 1973 "8 4 speed" from your postings at the Yahoo group. :D

Since you posted on here, I'll just reply on here too -- mainly because my e-mail is "squirrelly"! :thumbs:

Anyhow......

The first thing you should check is the two wires on the amp gauge. If they're both still on, try wiggling the plug on the ignition switch. If that doesn't work, let us know.

eastcoastyankee50

well i figured out the problem with my cable problem as it was that after all.i for got to hook the wire from the amp gauge to the solinoid it starts just fine / :thumbs:

kj4kicks

Wish they were all that easy !!

Enjoy the ride....

TT

That's great, Dean....... :thumbs:

That's one of the first places to check on the "older" amp gauge equipped tractors!

Greg B.

Glad you found it. :thumbs: I just had to bypass my amp gauge to get it to start! :thumbs:

Greg B.