Sign in to follow this  
72morph

ACR WORKING?

72morph

I rebuilt a K341 and put it on my gt1100 Work Horse.It measures 150 lbs.with the starter running full throttle.Just bought a D160 auto 1974 it measures exactly the same.They both run and start ok.Should my compression be lower with the ACR?

The rebuilt has only one season mowing 2 acres on it.The d160 k341 ser.no.show 1974. Just asking as it seems compression would be a lot lower.

rocking 416

Umm best i can tell you is when you crank it does it sound like it cranking slow? An when you shut it off does it sound like Chug chug chug I cant Quote the book but ill give you the jist the acr is counter weights on the cam shaft they use centrifugal force and i am pretty sure it doest begin compression unless it fires Ive read the book an know the principal of operation but ive read the book months ago an dont feel like digging it out. But i know how a kohler engine sounds when you crank it an shut it off that should tell you if the acr is working

big mike

A K series Kohler ACR lifts the exhaust valve off its seat about .035 or .040 until the motor is up to 600 RPM.The only way to get a proper compression reading is by rotating the motor backwards.If you are getting 150 PSI rotating it the direction it runs then the ACR isn't working and would be very hard to start.

rocking 416

Thats an interesting topic ive heard of rotaing motor backward then doing compression leack down i dunno if i was just hearing b.s or if there was any truth to it. i never felt the need to check the compression it dont smoke it dont need rings far as im concerned. i think the acr an cast iron sleeve is the way they all should be built. an if the dude had it rebuilt, it should of been bored or honed then checked for proper size then new rings installed i dunno what is problem or symton to the tractor is that leads him to belive there a compression issue. Perhaps he is not filmilar with the chug chug when you turn it off or first start it you hear compression build up

72morph

Both engines start ok.Have not touched the d160 engine.I'm wondering if the valves are adjusted ok.Both sometimes will not complete the first rotation when starting.Guess both could be set up wrong.Don't know about CHUG CHUG.Oh yeah all machine work and new parts in the gt100 341.They both run excellent.Used the gt for pushing snow last week.

rickv1957

That 150 psi sounds like a lot,will check one of my 341s just for the heck of it ,Rick

72morph

One would think that you could crank the motor thru by hand with .035 valve lift,no resistance but friction.They both run fine ,I should not aggravate myself I guess.Got to fix a generator tonite ,wil get my fire goin and try to crank thru by hand.Somebody tell me not to fix it if it aint broke.