Sign in to follow this  
Irv

AG Tires

Irv

Hey Guys, any input on Deestone vs. Nanco ag tires and 4 ply vs 6 ply. thanks :notworthy:

Curmudgeon

4 ply would be kinda stiff, 6 ply even stiffer. I always look for 2 ply in a garden tractor. No use having two 2000 pound weight capacity tires on a tractor that weights less than a thousand pounds.

catman81056

I've got 26X12X12 Nanco's on my D-160 and so far so good. They look fine and the bars have good depth.

DSCF0593.jpg

Don1977

Two-ply might be all right when their new. I was mowing in a ditch when I got the mower base hung up, turned up the power and ripped the side out of a 20 year old 2- ply that still had almost all of the tread. I replaced them with 4-ply.

Crazywheelhorseman

i'm not sure as to what brand but i'd go with but i would say ply rating would depend on what you plan on doing with the tractor. i run 4 ply super lugs and haven't had an issue yet even pulling 4800 :thumbs: :notworthy:

rickv1957

I try to get the 4 ply also,Rick

baerpath

4 ply max, 2 would be better

The Nanco's look like their based on the old Goodyear terra Damn good tread in the garden but terrible on the pulling track :notworthy:

The ply rating is the area of the tread,

the higher the ply the stiffer the tire = puncture resistance and weight capacity

Duane

pfrederi

If you use your machine other than on the lawn or driveway 4 ply will resist thorns stickers stumps etc better than 2.

rustynut

ya id go for the 4ply just for the reason that you sand up to more like pointy rocks thorns, and maybe some nails. just a thought

Operator

Hey Guys, any input on Deestone vs. Nanco ag tires and 4 ply vs 6 ply. thanks :thumbs:

OK how about the difference between the two Brands?

I'm thinking on the Deestone' myself for spring.

Randy

Sarge

I put a pair of Deestone 23x8.50's on the rear of the Charger 12 I restored last year. Despite not having any chains and just a pair of JD rear weights it plows like no tomorrow , even in icy conditions. They seem to be just soft enough to bite really well . Time will tell...

Sarge

Audioshot

Good morning, I have been reading these fourms for quite a while and learned a lot. I felt I needed to chime in on this thread.

I work with both companies in AG tire industry and earth mover tires. Deestone is an importer (has China plant contracts) and Nankang makes their own. However, IMO Carlisle tires hold up better. The "ply rating" means that the tires are rated for heavier loads based on higher air pressure. Because of the word "rating" , it doesn't mean the tire will have 6 ply's, it only means it will contain the higher air pressure of a 6 ply. A 4 or 6 ply rating will have a little thicker nylon cord than a 2 ply and that's about it. It's not that much more puncture resistant.

Keep in mind that AG tires are almost all natural rubber unlike passenger / lt truck tires (they are made of high tech polymers and petroleum to withstand heat and wear), thus the AG tires break down, decompose and crack faster. I would save my money and get the 2 ply. If you do in fact run the 4 or 6 ply, keep them at max pressure (it will ride like a rock) as the deflection causes the thicker bead area to crack prematurely, but then again, these are slow speed lawn tractors..

sscotsman

question about tires in general..

(this seems like a relevant thread in which to ask..)

I dont have my first wheelhorse yet, but im looking..

If I ever need new tires, are there any new tires (that will fit a wheelhorse) that are still made in America?

I absolutely refuse to put ANYthing made in China on my future wheelhorse!

it will not happen..ever.

Also..I gather that "AG" means probably "agricultural" tire? or something like that?

as opposed to other tires I have seen in photos here that look basically like automobile tires?

thanks,

Scot

George

Thanks for the information Audioshot. And welcome to the group.

Audioshot

Thank you George, I'm very excited to be here.

RE: sscotsman: "I absolutely refuse to put ANYthing made in China on my future wheelhorse!

it will not happen..ever."

I agree with you that the China produced tires are somewhat sub-par, but economically it was cheaper to have the tires built in China otherwise they would be $200 each and couldn't compete with Nankang and Dico. The factories are all out of the country now. They are bias ply and not radials so they have to be made by hand. Even Goodyear got out of the AG market and sold all their AG plants to Titan Corp. They licensed their name so the tires and still say Goodyear on them. AG tires do not have to conform to DOT laws so there is little or no regulation. Carlisle/Titan contracts with certain plants and has tires to be built to their specs. Galaxy/GPX/Primex did the same. Bridgestone / Firestone makes some of the best AG tires but only in 24" rims and larger. I'm a cerified tire inspector for the TIA (Tire Industry of America) so I deal with a lot of these tire headaches all day.

I hope this helps.

sscotsman

Thank you George, I'm very excited to be here.

RE: sscotsman: "I absolutely refuse to put ANYthing made in China on my future wheelhorse!

it will not happen..ever."

I agree with you that the China produced tires are somewhat sub-par, but economically it was cheaper to have the tires built in China otherwise they would be $200 each and couldn't compete with Nankang and Dico. The factories are all out of the country now. They are bias ply and not radials so they have to be made by hand. Even Goodyear got out of the AG market and sold all their AG plants to Titan Corp. They licensed their name so the tires and still say Goodyear on them. AG tires do not have to conform to DOT laws so there is little or no regulation. Carlisle/Titan contracts with certain plants and has tires to be built to their specs. Galaxy/GPX/Primex did the same. Bridgestone / Firestone makes some of the best AG tires but only in 24" rims and larger. I'm a cerified tire inspector for the TIA (Tire Industry of America) so I deal with a lot of these tire headaches all day.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Audio..

thats disappointing..(that none are made in the USA amymore)

but hardly surprising..

economics isnt really the point, as to why I wont use Chinese tires..

(or Chinese anything)

I dont care if they are cheap..I wouldnt use them if they cost ten bucks..

its just the principle of it..

It would be like putting a Hyundai engine in a restored 1969 Camaro..

its simply not going to happen! :thumbs:

well..I guess that only leaves "vintage" tires then?

it seems lots of people are still using "old" tires on their tractors..

how difficult is it to find tires for these machines then?

thanks,

Scot

ronscat

Audioshot,

Glad to have you on the forum and some really good info.

Do you have any info on whether someone is gonna build the Carlisle "Super Lug" tire now that supposedly Carlisle has quit building that particular tire (or maybe just the 26x12x12 sized tire)? That is a very popular tire with the non-high hp garden tractor pulling crowd (including me).

Thanks,

Ron

Audioshot

@Ronscat.

Titan has the Tru Power in a 26/12-12 for a Lug/ R2 tread. Titan products are actually very good and they stand behind them should you have an issue. You'd have to call a local distributor for pricing.

After some quick number crunching, I found that most of the Wheel Horse machines call for 12psi in the tires. The 4 ply rating spec calls for 22psi at max pressure. Looking at the charts, you can easily run the 4pr tires at half pressure with no issues. Bias tires unlike radials are very forgiving to flex, although they'll flat spot (memory effect) if they sit for a long period.

Hope this helps.

tgranthamfd

@Ronscat.

Titan has the Tru Power in a 26/12-12 for a Lug/ R2 tread. Titan products are actually very good and they stand behind them should you have an issue. You'd have to call a local distributor for pricing.

After some quick number crunching, I found that most of the Wheel Horse machines call for 12psi in the tires. The 4 ply rating spec calls for 22psi at max pressure. Looking at the charts, you can easily run the 4pr tires at half pressure with no issues. Bias tires unlike radials are very forgiving to flex, although they'll flat spot (memory effect) if they sit for a long period.

Hope this helps.

Flat spots at 12 psi, 22 psi, or at both psi's? While setting, of coarse.